Greetings from the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Range! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to demenshea Send a message via Yahoo to demenshea
Greetings from the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Range!

Hello,
I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself. I have been riding for the last 8 years and it wasn't until this year that I have begun to think of myself as a rider! I have over 200K miles and have ridden the US, Spain and Portugal on various machines. The last 4 years I've been on an 00 Bandit and 07 Bandit and now I'm finally ready for a Versys!

I desire less weight, though I know I'll miss the smooth inline four and super powerband of the Bandito, I'm ready to experience a bit of the dirty side, without all the weight of a fully loaded touring bike.

I have a bike in line in Yucca Valley. It'a an 09 that 's new with zero miles. I should be picking it up this weekend. I have never owned a new machine and am totally excited!!

Then...it's off to AZ and the wildflowers.

Just wanted to say "hello" to all of you and I look forward to making the Versys my bike and learning more about it here on this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 PM

Welcome, and enjoy your purchase

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 PM

Welcome! I think you're gonna dig the new ride, even if you miss the power of your bandit a little.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 AM

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 AM

Welcome. The fun factor of the Versys will definitely make up for the power factor.

2013 Versys1000
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the welcome!! I do intend to pick your brains as I gather miles on my new baby!! I can tippy toe easily on the bike and it's certainly light enough after the Bandit, but I think I may have the dealer add the lower kit as it will give me extra room for touching the ground, which is never a bad thing. Does it compromise the ride at all?

Also, the top box seems a good investment, but I see you can't add the side bags with a top box. What's the impression here of importance, top box with soft side bags or side bags and soft top when you need it?

My Bandit has givi side bags and a top box, but i'll tell you it certainly adds some weight! I know the bike won't be perfect at first, and will take some individual tweaking. But I was wondering on a general consensus of what set up worked best from you my experienced bros!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Yep you can have 3 bins on.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 03-14-2012 at 10:11 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Kiwi41. They look great too!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM

from Buffalo, NY!

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Yeah, you can three-bag it if you want to, the side cases make for a wide load though. It's instructive to look at one in person before making the leap. If/when you do it look at aftermarket SW Motech stuff thru Twisted Throttle.
The Factory lowering kit is not nearly as nice as the one Moto Werks makes for the bike. Ride the bike for a while to see what you think of the height, then decide if you want to lower it.
You'll probably want to pull all the pre-load out of the shock unless you're a heavyweight. There are some good threads here on suspension set-up, and it's worth your time to do it.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I believe I'll ride it a bit before I do much of anything, but am considering adding the kawasaki top box. That's where I believe I read you can't have the factory top box and side bags. I'll double check this info, i may be way wrong.

Another query. Can I add a powerlet to run heated gear or charge my GPS?? I won't overpower the system will i??
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

I am having the motowerk lowering kit put on the bike before I go and pick it up. Hopefully that will keep me from having to "pick it up" afterwards.
But everyone knows gravity wins!

I did order the top box as well. I'll get bags later as needed but for now at least i have one locking place for my purse and what not.

I believe this bike and I will have a long and fine relationship!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Welcome!

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Welcome, Demenshea! I think, the last time I saw you was "Range of Light" tour, a few years back. I replaced my F650 with a Versys, and am loving it. Check SouthBayRiders, and you can find a couple RR's to see how much crap I've carried.
I am using soft luggage on the bike, so no hard bag feedback to give you.
Regarding electrics - the stator is up a few accessories. I have heated grips, a volt meter, and a 12V plug going through an Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution, which is connected to the battery. There is room under the seat for it all. My electric vest goes into a Battery Tender, SAE plug.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Hey Eric!! No kidding you've got that baby loaded!!!

I got the top box and now think i'll just find some sport-touring soft side bags and call it good. I am learning to travel with less and less...it's just i usually have my gerbings just in case.
Thanks for the tip on the outlet. I am going to get a powerlet since all my gear plugs into it and it's worked flawlessly in the past.
I can't wait to go and pick up the bike next week!!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 PM

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
Hey Eric!! No kidding you've got that baby loaded!!!

I got the top box and now think i'll just find some sport-touring soft side bags and call it good. I am learning to travel with less and less...it's just i usually have my gerbings just in case.
Thanks for the tip on the outlet. I am going to get a powerlet since all my gear plugs into it and it's worked flawlessly in the past.
I can't wait to go and pick up the bike next week!!
I have vintage RKA paniers, that work on the rear of the seat.
Enjoy the trip! Great way to break in a new bike.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
I believe I'll ride it a bit before I do much of anything, but am considering adding the kawasaki top box. That's where I believe I read you can't have the factory top box and side bags. I'll double check this info, i may be way wrong.

Another query. Can I add a powerlet to run heated gear or charge my GPS?? I won't overpower the system will i??
There is plenty of extra power available. I run heated grips, heated jacket liner and a 12v power outlet with GPS on at once with no problems.

2013 Versys1000
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
There is plenty of extra power available. I run heated grips, heated jacket liner and a 12v power outlet with GPS on at once with no problems.

Thanks, that's wonderful to know. I'll be adding two powerlets, though i rarely run two things at once, it's nice to know I can.

I'll be picking up the Versys on Thursday. I did add the top box and had it lowered with the Motowerks kit. I will be bringing soft bags to put on. I am going to add heated grips as well.

My inaugural ride will be to AZ to see some wild flowers and then back home just in time for my first service!

I'll post up something up my return and hopefully be able to add a new avatar!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode