Hi from Singapore - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile Hi from Singapore

Hi everyone,

Been riding for 2 years, a Bajaj Pulsar 200cc.
Hoping to get a Versys sometime this year if finances allow, maybe buy it in Thailand and ride it to Singapore where I live (self-import it to save money, it's ridiculous the prices bikes are sold at here..)

I'm going for the Versys mainly because I got the touring bug and that's what I love most about riding a motorcycle : going places The versys not only looks great, but seems to be a very reliable fun and easy bike to do long distances on.

Went around the region (Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam & Laos) on my 200cc Pulsar from July to November 2011 , so if any of you plans on touring there, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll be happy to help if I can. Not sure I can post a link here to my touring blog, will wait until I'm a bit more active to be safe.

Decided to register to participate in conversations, been reading this forum since I started looking into the bike, and I'm loving all the information and photos everyone is sharing, great community !

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, I thought Singapore is very strict on what can be brought in and has a capped limit of how many vehicles on the road unless you pay big bucks to bring one in. If you could buy it from Thailand would be a lot cheaper and sure some of the Malysian guys would love to do that to.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi Kiwi
Thanks for the welcome !

To give you an idea of the prices, roughly, a Versys right now brand new, latest model (2011 if I'm not mistaken, right?), is sold at close to 23,000 SGD = 18,300 USD.

In Thailand, it costs 285,000 THB = 11,700 SGD = 9,300 USD.

Importing a vehicle requires to pay an import tax. However, whether you import it yourself or buy it in a shop, you're absolutely right, you need to fork out a certificate price that allows you do ride it. (That's what regulates how many vehicles are in circulation). As of today, that certificate costs about SGD 2,000.

So the idea is to cut off the bike shop margin from the price.
If bought in Thailand, from what I have researched so far, there will be an import tax of up to 40% of the bike's price, so the bike with the certificate would cost around 18,000 SGD instead of 23,000 SGD.

With those extra 5,000 SGD there's lots of new shiny accessories that can be added

The bigger the bike, the bigger the margin bike shops make. The import tax is calculated on the base of the bike's price in the foreign country + how much it cost you to get it to Singapore, so Thailand seems like a great option.

It's just that there's a lot of steps to go through, very clearly defined (SG style), but nonetheless, a bit of leg work to do. That's why most bikers here do not want to bother, and prefer to pay the price and just ride off the bike shop directly.

I'm afraid I don't know how it works in Malaysia.. I know their price for the Versys is between the Thai and SG price, but I don't know how they import system works..

PS: NZ is on my top 3 countries I hope I can one day tour on a bike. Never been there, always wanted to, but now that I ride a motorcycle, I don't want to visit it any other way ! I don't do well in the cold, but for NZ, I'd ride in the snow and feel extra happy I'm sure, what a beautiful beautiful country !

Last edited by O'Ren; 03-05-2012 at 04:27 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:44 AM

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hi O'Ren, was in Singapore last june for 4 days, then spent 11 days in Malaysia and 2 days in southern Thailand, was looked after by some of the malaysian guys from this forum myred, stlee29 and my very good friend fastoman who took us in to Thailand in his car, put my wife and me up at his house for a few days and he also took me away on a overnight trip down the backbone of Malaysia and lent me his blue Versys why he borrowed a ninja 500.

Loved Singapore and your doller is on a par with NZ doller, Spore is expensive place compared with going north but a very awesome place to visit, we love the night zoo and santosa island and went on the big wheel at night and what a view.

Would suggest if you riding in NZ you come from oct to march, jan or feb probably best months to ride but we can still get 4 seasons in one day even in summer.

Phil

You will reconize this big wheel

Last edited by kiwi 41; 03-05-2012 at 05:21 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM

We have a ridiculous import tax here in Taiwan, though I dare say not quite as bad as yours, so I feel for you.

Last edited by SlowRain; 03-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Cool pic Kiwi, I'm not originally from SG but yeah, been leaving here for so many years, it's home now
SlowRain, didn't Taiwan had it bad too..
Thanks for the kind welcome and replies everyone !
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:05 AM

Welcome O'Ren, from the country that love to suck money out of the pockets with high taxes on bikes. Our countries have something in common, except that our currency is ridiculously invalid that we need to churn out more work to get a decent amount.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM

Hello there!

I came across your blog about your tours of Vietnam, Laos, Thailand via Malaysia on your Bajaj Pulsar, very interesting read, you write well. Actually I was googling for a DIY chain oiler and it lead me to your blog. The Bajaj sounds like a made in India bike, is it? You'll do well on the Versys, had mine since Oct 2011, got it almost brand new used with just 900+km on the clock. Yessiree! Bigger cc. bikes in Malaysia cost a bomb, that's why by the time we can afford one we are middle aged! Best of luck with your Versys.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 AM

A Pulsar!!! That was the last bike I was expecting to hear about on this forum! Lol. I rode a Hero Honda CBZ 150cc, also manufactured in india, before moving to Malaysia, which is in a similar bracket to the Pulsar. Economical, strudy steeds! Hope you get your Versys soon, am sure you'll love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode