New. Need help and knowledge and I want to spread it later! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New. Need help and knowledge and I want to spread it later!

I'm a college student going to U of A, had some money saved up since I got a pretty good scholarship so I spent it on a 2009 kawasaki versys
.... that I promptly wrecked. It was great fun for a while but as usual I went beyond my limitations. I wasn't hurt too bad but the bike is having some shifting trouble and I came here for help and hopefully a good community eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

typing with one hand can be a bit of a burden haha still got a broken finger
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Welcome man, sorry to hear about your wreck... hope you recover soon and get back on two wheels.
As for your shifting problem, what are the symptoms and describe what exactly the problem is and we can try to figure out what your problem ia

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Sorry to hear that but glad you are ok.

Pls elaborate on the shifting. Which side of the bike that went down?

U of A, what does that 'A' stands for? Arkansas, Alabama, Alaska,....?

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

U of Arizona, it's down in Tucson.
Well the shifting...
It works fine when I'm actually riding, but I thought I was able to shift up while stationary before. Not like it's ever necessary but I figured it might indicate a problem. Basically if I'm sitting still I can't go up past neutral but maybe the trannys designed that way so you don't stall trying to start out in 3rd or something.
I'm pretty inexperienced for having crashed so it's kind of embarrassing. It was a pretty soft lowside up in the mountains. It looks like the plastic took most of the forceful impact so I cant see how there'd be internal damage although the shift lever is bent back.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Heres a picture of the shifter and also a stray electrical lead. Is that for aftermarket accessories and I just need to tuck it back in somewhere or has something been ripped off?
I didn't realize it'd be tough owning a bike down here. Where I grew up I know plenty of people who could help me but not so much now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorbike.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	13991  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Kawasaki's have positive neutral finder you shouldn't be able to upshift unless you are moving.

Did you take the MSF course?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Ahh I was unaware of that and tried google searching it but it never brought up the right thing. I did take the msf course and distinctly remember the bike i rode then shifting into second while stationary so I just assumed all motorcycles did since I never thought about it on my kawi.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 PM

if all you have under yor belt is the MSF beginner course, then you should consider yourself as riding with a 6th grade education. that was the tip of the iceberg. go farther.

glad you and the bike are in relatively good shape.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 PM

I rode my friend's Ducati Monster and when I tried to shift to Neutral, I couldn't as it kept on going up shift. The trick for the Monster is to go to 1st and kick up just a little, else it will end up with the 2nd. The Versys does require a harder kick up for shifting but it works for me.

With the bike moving, it is unlikely you are able to find the Neutral, just thought that you might want to know.

Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM

with my 2011, I find neutral with the bike moving, no problem.

Just a tick down from 2nd while approaching the gate mechanism where I live. I'm short for the V so it's a left foot down thing, and need to be in neutral to work the mechanism with my left hand.

Maybe it only works going down?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Hmm..I might try that AzItLies, never thought about that little tick down. I've so heavy footed on the shifting.

Previous Ride:
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode