thinking versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
thinking versys

hi everyone, so i've been thinking about buying a versys. I haven't ridden one yet, a couple things that are concerning to me are some people think the engine is somewhat buzzy and that the suspension is a little harsh or shall we on the sporty side - everything else I've read about like the dash buzz seems to be an easy fix.

I once had an 04 fjr 1300 and the engine buzz is the reason I sold it after about a year, despite trying throttle body sync, heavier bar end weights and grip puppies, my hands and wrists were still going numb.

so is the engine buzzy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
so is the engine buzzy?
I haven't been riding my Versys much through the winter. But I don't remember any buzz

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Never heard of an engine buzz....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

lets say vibration?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
hi everyone, so i've been thinking about buying a versys. I haven't ridden one yet, a couple things that are concerning to me are some people think the engine is somewhat buzzy and that the suspension is a little harsh or shall we on the sporty side - everything else I've read about like the dash buzz seems to be an easy fix.

I once had an 04 fjr 1300 and the engine buzz is the reason I sold it after about a year, despite trying throttle body sync, heavier bar end weights and grip puppies, my hands and wrists were still going numb.

so is the engine buzzy?
I've had (have the versys now) both bikes, the fjr is known to have a bit of a buzz at 4k rpm. Don't think the versys is known to buzz at any specific rpm, but a parallel twin isn't known for being silky smooth either.

Gonna guess here and say that the versys might be better for some because it has a more upright riding position. If one puts a lot of weight on the handlebars, any buzz is going to contribute to numbing your hands.

I've had my versys seat modified by Spencer, no more sliding into the tank and it's quite comfortable. Relaxed upright position. It's really pretty awesome.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:

so is the engine buzzy?
Grip puppies solved all my issues with handlebar vibes. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but since you seem to be sensitive to the issue, you are going to have to ride one and decide for yourself.

Coming off a cruiser, I think the Versys has a distinct handlebar vibe. It made my hands tingle and fatigue. They would hurt for hours after a long ride. The grip puppies cured this for me completely.

I must add, there is a noticeable engine vibe but not wide in the RPM range. I think it is mostly in the 4500-5000 range. Once I move above or below that range, everything smooths out.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Grip puppies solved all my issues with handlebar vibes. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but since you seem to be sensitive to the issue, you are going to have to ride one and decide for yourself.

Coming off a cruiser, I think the Versys has a distinct handlebar vibe. It made my hands tingle and fatigue. They would hurt for hours after a long ride. The grip puppies cured this for me completely.

I must add, there is a noticeable engine vibe but not wide in the RPM range. I think it is mostly in the 4500-5000 range. Once I move above or below that range, everything smooths out.

Exactly what I'm thinking. You probably wont like the versys.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Yep, I agree with the grip puppies. About 4500 - 5000 rpm it is noticeable to a degree but the grip puppies are a plus. I really doesn't matter what bike you ride you are either going to have a vibration or a buzz. It's a motorcycle.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This worked for me....http://shop.motowerkcalifornia.com/A...ANVB-HB-RS.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome Jonny, you need to really test ride a versys to see if its for you.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM

If you're comparing it to an fjr1300, yeah it's going to feel much buzzier than an inline 4, it's just the nature of the twin cylinders. If the bike really interests you then you need to demo one. The seating position is more neutral than the fjr1300 and the weight much lighter, flickable is the best word I can describe it. If you really want to be impressed, take a midsize cruiser for a spin then the Versys, you'll know then if it's right for you.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM

There are many factors that go into selecting any bike. For me, I bought the Versys because I live on a dirt road and love to ride those back roads, but I commute on a 4-lane divided highway. The Versys is designed to handle both reasonably well.

One thing about the Versys no one has mentioned is the seat height. Many people including me find the bike very tall. The stock seat is 33 inches tall. I installed the lowering link from Motowerk which lowers the rear suspension 1.8 inches, and am much happier with the bike.

I also softened the rear suspension preload and though the difference is not as dramatic as the lowering link, it seems to help.

The Versys also has a thriving after-market community that makes it possible to modify the bike to suit the needs of your own riding style.

Oh yeah, and is it buzzy? There's definitely some vibration in the handlebars but not bad enough to avoid buying the bike.

Good luck and safe riding!

Last edited by Tim20141; 02-12-2012 at 06:36 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM

My 2011 Versys doesn't seem buzzy to me. And I've had a couple of buzzy bikes. One I fixed with heavier bar end weights and grip puppies. The other I sold.

No dash buzz on mine.

Suspension is harsh. I think the rear shock needs replacement. Apparently the front can be improved simply by modifying the shim stack.

On my Versys the grips are really smooth, but the rubber-mounted bar-end weights do vibrate, and it takes some effort to keep part of my hands from resting on them when I ride. I'll probably switch to solid mounted weights to fix that.

I've read that the older gen FJR had some buzz. If it was the bike for you other than the buzz, maybe you'd like a newer one? OTOH with suspension mods, maybe you'd like a Versys too?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb9400 View Post
If you're comparing it to an fjr1300, yeah it's going to feel much buzzier than an inline 4, it's just the nature of the twin cylinders.
Buzziest bike I've had was an inline 4.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I believe that every motorcycle has vibration. How much vibration, the frequency of the vibration and what RPMs it is more prevelant than others all come into play. Whether or not you find the vibration unpleasant depends on you. Personally I prefer the low frequency vibration from V-twins and Parallel twins over the high frequency vibrations inline 4 and flat 6 engines produce.

I think ones perception of vibration depends a lot on how sensitive they are to vibration. I have to wear winter leather gloves when I run my gas powered line trimmer because it will numb my fingers for hours. I do wear quality leather riding gloves on the motorcycles because they provide protection, better grip, and some vibration damping.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Get the vibes out of the dash and the headlight, and really...the bike is great.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for you input. I don't have any plans on buying a versys without doing an adequate test ride first. Before I had the fjr I had a few bikes but never a vibration problem, and since the fjr I've had a few bikes and again no vibration problem, but since I had such a frustrating time with my fjr I just get a little weary when I read that some people are complaining about the vibes. I've done a lot of reading around different websites about the versys and from time to time I read something and vibes coming through to the rider, but I know that a test ride would pretty much answer my questions, I just like to hear how everyone here feels about the subject.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM

07-09 bikes had buzzing from the dash area of the fairing although it is easy to fix with some foam weatherstripping tape

not a lot of serious vibration from the engine
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
07-09 bikes had buzzing from the dash area of the fairing although it is easy to fix with some foam weatherstripping tape

not a lot of serious vibration from the engine
I've had the same experience described here. There is a buzzing from the dash area from my '09 around 4000-5000. I also don't notice any intense vibration.

Sometimes the best rides are the ones you don't plan.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 PM

I don't seem to have any significate problem with handgrip buzz/vibe. But I do notice a vibe in the mirrors & the imagages behind me.

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode