Greetings from Canada, V1000 owner to be - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Greetings from Canada, V1000 owner to be

Greetings from Canada!

I was about ready to buy a Ninja 1000 when I heard about the Versys 1000. Same engine more or less, more bottom end torque where it counts, lots of HP for my uses, upright riding ergos, 2 up touring capability and to me, a very important feature is the inclusion of ABS.

I know some folks think ABS is for sissies, but as a long time rider, and for the last 10 years with ABS, I've only had 1 close call and I believe in that instant, ABS saved my butt.

It seems north americans, unlike europeans, aren't willing to pay a little extra for that feature. The Versys 650 is available in Europe with ABS.

Anyway, I'm going to check out the bike when it becomes available in March and will more than likely buy it. The only down side here is that they are only offering it in brown, the white isn't available in Canada this year. I really don't like the brown! Oh well..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM

Welcome! I'm new to the world of motorcycling, and this website is great! I really with my 2012 V had the option for ABS, because I certainly agree with you there. I'd have paid more in an instant to have that feature.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Mingo, i have the Ninja 1000 and love it and ABS is great on that bike, also love my 08 650 Versys, have been spoilt riding the Ninja lately with its far superior brakes and power but still find the 650 v better in real tight twisty work and will be keeping it as its now a family friend .
Will probably look at trading the Ninja in on the new V 1000 next year as will observe what problems or issues happen with the new V1000, not a fan of current colours.

Looking forward to your feedback and photos of your new toy.

Phil

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 PM

Welcome from Ottawa! I'm looking forward to reading more about the 1000.

As for the ABS comments, I know of at least one rider at my office that considered the Versys until he learned that he couldn't get the ABS version. Then it was crossed off his list of potential bikes. That cost Kawasaki a sale. For myself, I probably would have purchased the ABS version if it was available, but it wasn't a deal killer for me.

Will my next bike have ABS? Hopefully, as it is something I'd like to have.

Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM

Welcome! I saw the 2012 Versys 1000 in Toronto and I liked it a lot. Not crazy about the brown color either, but I think I could live with it. Hope you buy it and let us south-of-the-border folks know how it is

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
As for the ABS comments, I know of at least one rider at my office that considered the Versys until he learned that he couldn't get the ABS version. Then it was crossed off his list of potential bikes. That cost Kawasaki a sale. For myself, I probably would have purchased the ABS version if it was available, but it wasn't a deal killer for me.

Will my next bike have ABS? Hopefully, as it is something I'd like to have.

Dave
Kawi needs to offer ABS on the Versys 650. I ruled it out in favor of a Vstrom 650 because the WeeStrom has ABS available.

Something that boggles my mind is Kawi's newest supersport bike, the ZX14R. It has all manners of launch control; 3 different levels of traction control to keep the back end from spinning or pointing the front wheel skywards, but ABS is not available "because of north ameraican sales of the ZX-10 ABS were poor"!!! Don't they know their demographics? 20 year olds want the fastest and baddest bike and don't care to spend extra for ABS, they're immortal The ZX14R with its 210 hp and fastest quarter mile of any production bike needs to have ABS just in case.. and its demographic is a more mature rider. They sell it with ABS in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
Welcome! I saw the 2012 Versys 1000 in Toronto and I liked it a lot. Not crazy about the brown color either, but I think I could live with it. Hope you buy it and let us south-of-the-border folks know how it is
I'm going to hold out for a test ride first. I don't know if I can live with that color.. I like the white so much more.. or even better, black / toxic green!

Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by mingo; 01-29-2012 at 05:17 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo View Post
Don't they know their demographics? 20 year olds want the fastest and baddest bike and don't care to spend extra for ABS, they're immortal
Interesting observation. The sales guys at the local Kawa dealership told me last week during a regular "I-don't-need-a-thing, I-just-want-to-be-here" visit that the average life span, in their experience, of big sport bikes is about 14 months. It's apparently the average time it takes the "demographic buyer" to throw it into the weeds violently which commonly results in one or more of the following: death; serious injury to self; serious damage to the machine; or scaring the holy crap out of self.

Seems to be the reason, or reasons, very few dealerships allow test rides aboard fire breathing sport bikes. Want a test ride on a Versys? Generally it's not a problem. Something to be said for not being among the target demographics.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo View Post
I'm going to hold out for a test ride first. I don't know if I can live with that color.. I like the white so much more.. or even better, black / toxic green!
Don't worry about the color - I didn't even notice the color when I sat on one at the Vancouver Bike Show

I am sure the ride will sell it to you.

Big Aussie

PS I wish I had the budget for one (currently under-employed)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and hope to see some Versys 1000 here soon..

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 AM

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 AM

I like the Metallic Magnesium Gray (not brown) color a lot... Have it repainted if you don't like it. Are you in BC? Here's one for $12,999:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kawasaki/...torcycles_atvs

http://www.holeshotracing.ca/new_veh...sc=Motorcycles

Last edited by invader; 01-30-2012 at 08:17 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
MTS

Will await an undate on the V1000!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Welcome Mingo from White Rock, BC.

Totally agree with you on ABS. I spoke with the Kawi Canada rep last year and said I wouldn't buy the Ninja 1000 unless ABS was on the machine. I am seriously considering the Versys 1000 but haven't been able to see it in person yet. I think a demo ride will likely seal the deal, but I won't buy any bike without a test ride first.

I don't like the boxster engine in the BMW's, and their price is crazy. Multistrada is amazing, but I wouldn't spend the extra eight large to have one. The only real comparison is the Tiger 1050. I think that the Versys 1k will win me over, but I too wish we had another colour to choose as the brownish grey doesn't do it for me. Hope it (the colour) looks better in person. I actually like the styling of the bike, same as I like what I have. I just wish they sold it burnt orange, the fastest 650 colour.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM

White is nice, but metallic brown on the V1000 looks better. I've seen both but prefers the brown over the white. White seems to make the front fairing looks bulkier. Love the sound of the inline 4 when it takes off.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitmind View Post
. I just wish they sold it burnt orange, the fastest 650 colour.
That is so true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode