Versys in Huntsville, AL - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys in Huntsville, AL

I bought an '81 KZ1100A1 two years ago after being bike-less for 35 years. The KZ only wanted to go in a straight line, and as fast as possible, while I enjoyed the curves. After much research I decided on the Versys. I finally located one (demo bike, never registered), bought it and brought it home all while my wife was in the hospital with knee replacement surgery. She wasn't too happy, but at least she couldn't kick me. This bike is fantastic! It's so happy in the twisties. In addition I don't have to wrestle it thru the curves like I had to with the KZ. The KZ now collects dust. I'm looking for other V owners in the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:10 PM

aboard!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
the versys will take curves on its own and is very forgiving if you make a mistake.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
the versys will take curves on its own and is very forgiving if you make a mistake.
I agree with you there. The V can improve your confidence. However, over-confidence can be the down side.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Hello Dave. I'm just up the road from you. Just across the line in TN near 110. Lots of curvy and hilly and adventure roads up this way.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Dave. and prayers for a quick recovery for your lovely wife.

Surgeries do heal and she will kick you anyway......

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Congrats on the bike, you didn't say which year it was. Love the color of the 2011 model if that's the one you got. Hope your wife has a speedy recovery, had that done to my left knee in 2010.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Dave. and prayers for a quick recovery for your lovely wife.

Surgeries do heal and she will kick you anyway......

It has, she has and I'll just have to ride the pegs for awhile.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb9400 View Post
Congrats on the bike, you didn't say which year it was. Love the color of the 2011 model if that's the one you got. Hope your wife has a speedy recovery, had that done to my left knee in 2010.
It's a 2010, in black (I don't know the factory's official color name) with the flat black tank. How do you wax the flat black, or do you?

The few original requirements that I had for my "ideal" bike were:
  1. air cooled (less moving parts)
  2. shaft or belt drive (easier to keep clean)
  3. any color except black (I didn't want a HD)
Obviously I did not let these "requirements" cloud my judgement.

The bike was a factory demo that had not been registered before, so I got the full factory warranty as well as a real good deal.

The wife's recovery was quick, thanks for asking. This was her second one and she knew what to expect (other than the new bike).
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Hello Dave. I'm just up the road from you. Just across the line in TN near 110. Lots of curvy and hilly and adventure roads up this way.
I looked at some of your posts showing the roads within 30 miles of where you live. Those are the type I like: Either no center lines or double yellow stripes. I've found several in my area also. Haven't made it to NE Al, NW GA or E TN yet, but will soon. We should get together sometime.
Dave
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Hi Dave, welcome aboard. I am in Pensacola this weekend visiting my daughter but I live in Madison on County Line Road. We'll have to riide sometime. I'll be on the lookout for you. Mine is red with Givi bags.

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:58 AM

Welcome ...................

'15 DL1000
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Dave,

Had some of those same requirements, (air cooled, belt drive) on my cruiser, an '09 VStar 950T, love the bike but I just couldn't help but get drawn back to the Versys so I have the pair. Finally a warm/dry enough day to ride a little
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 PM

Hey from Decatur....Whatcha want for the KZ ???? I'm currently on a ER6N waiting on a 1000 Versys.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in AL View Post
The few original requirements that I had for my "ideal" bike were:
  1. air cooled (less moving parts)
  2. shaft or belt drive (easier to keep clean)
  3. any color except black (I didn't want a HD)

The wife's recovery was quick, thanks for asking. This was her second one and she knew what to expect (other than the new bike).
The Versys is still air-cooled, it is just that the heat is transferred to a liquid before the air takes it away. I have had this discussion with all of the BMW fans at my "old" office.

I have found that a chain drive is a really straightforward drive system. Yes, there is the regular maintenance, but replacing the thing is quite easy. I doubt that shafts and belts can be changed out by me in my garage in an hour or so. (Then again, I do not know much about belts...)

Being color blind (to an extent), I find that color (on a bike especially) does not matter that much. Be assured, however, that "passion red" is the fastest color for a Versys.

My Mom had a second knee replacement well into her 70s. That was no picnic. I am glad that the newer "bionic" knees are expected to last longer. That makes a big deal when it comes to deciding when to "switch out" your knee. I am glad to hear that you wife's recovery was quick.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 AM

Water cooling ads ...ONE... moving part that actually TRIPLES the life of all the other moving parts.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in AL View Post
I looked at some of your posts showing the roads within 30 miles of where you live. Those are the type I like: Either no center lines or double yellow stripes. I've found several in my area also. Haven't made it to NE Al, NW GA or E TN yet, but will soon. We should get together sometime.
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDan View Post
Hi Dave, welcome aboard. I am in Pensacola this weekend visiting my daughter but I live in Madison on County Line Road. We'll have to riide sometime. I'll be on the lookout for you. Mine is red with Givi bags.
Looks like we do need to get together and ride. I can show y'all some great back roads in TN. Even a little gravel if you desire. I ride all year long and I travel to the Gulf coast periodically so BamaDan if you ever want to ride the back roads to the Gulf Coast let me know and I'll let you know when I am heading south.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode