New AND Have a Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New AND Have a Question

This is a fantastic forum!!

Have had a --new to me-- '08 for about 3 months and love it. But must confess, I've been riding since I was 14 and haven't been on any 2 wheeler yet that I didn't like.
Have been reading the forum for the entire 3 months, almost daily, and have learned much. Finally registered because I have a question: What specifically, should I expect in mpg improvement if I switch from a 46T to a 43or 44T? Have read that I could go about 25 mph before shifting out of 1st gear and that would be good. But what about specific experience as it relates to improved mpg?? Just about anything on 2 wheels can take most /all cars off the line but what I care about is improved mpg on day/week long rides.

Will do the change and have subscribed to every thread I could find on how to do it myself.

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Greetings and welcome to the versys. It will depend on your riding style, if you are real aggressive I don't think your mpg will be much different. If you ride at a more relaxed pace and keep the rpm's around 3500 to 4500 I think about a 4 to 6 mpg difference. I have the 44t rear sprocket and if I get aggresive and rev it hard on acceleration I get around 51 mpg, but when I ride at a more relaxed pace and stay in the 3500 to 4000 rev range I get 58 to 60 mpg. I also don't adjust my math for the gear change, meaning changeing to the 44 t will through off your odomiter slightly so when it shows you rode a 100 miles in reality its like 104 miles. Hope this is helpfull, I know there are smarter individuals than me on this sight that can give you better numbers like Invader, that guy is a wiz on stuff like this.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.

Last edited by glowcat13; 01-16-2012 at 07:03 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Hey BamaDan. You are only about 30 miles from me. I have put 7,000 miles on my '11 Versys going back and forth to the Gulf Coast Via backroads. Never felt a need to change the sprockets. This bike is a hoot to ride and I don't want to make it tamer. That's what the KLR650 is for.

I average 50 MPG fully loaded and with all the accessories out in the wind.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, have had a 44t on rear for a while and it works for me, if i want more fuel efficiency i just relax my heavy right hand a bit lol
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 AM

First gear on the V is geared for stump pulling compared to the Ninja 650. I think the other ratios are more similar to the Ninja. This may have been a nod to the "adventure style" of the Versys and will still be an issue no mater what final drive you select.

I've tried messing with the final drive ratio on other bikes and it is always a trade off. It may improve one gear but hurt performance in other gears. It is never a win/win situation, more like a win/loose situation. IMO the engineers at Kawasaki probably knew what they were doing and had the benefit of testing as well as picking the individual gear ratios in the transmission, which you can't change, so unless you live in an area without hills or have unique requirements like never driving on the highway/only driving on the highway the stock ratio is best.

Last edited by Sprocket; 01-17-2012 at 01:08 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
MPG improvement will depend much on your riding and how much you drag out in gears. a smooth shifting can save some gas but not much. weather you are in 46. 44 or 43 gas MPG depend on you. But on a 44 you get the jerking out of the V on town rides.

&
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 AM

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Yes, riding style is certainly a factor. My question should have been more specific -- If all other factors remain the same (my riding style and where I ride), then how will the change from 46 to 43 affect mpg? 35 minitues after the V was delivered to my driveway, I left on a three day ride to the Smokies. Averaged about 50 mpg -- which is good. But I'll do the same trip in the Spring with a 43T sprocket and see what the change is. One of you stated that you are getting 58-60 with a 44T -- and that is much better. I don't need the jerkiness in the low gears either. Will gladly give up the jerkiness for a few more mpg's.

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have never noticed jerkyness with my Versys. What I do notice is that I can power lift the front wheel an inch off the pavement when I take off in first gear. What I do notice is that I can pass the logging trucks on the back roads with a flick of the wrist. I guess i am just fortunate that 50 MPG doesn't brake the bank for me. I would have stuck with the Ninja 650 or even the Ninja 250 I owned before it if I was concerned about fuel economy. That Ninja 250 got in the 70s if you were just cruising around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode