Test ride today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Test ride today

In my intro thread I mentioned I was going for a test ride. Well, got that done today and I was left with mixed impressions, maybe because of the particular bike I rode. It was a brand new 2011 model, but it exhibited what I would call an uncommon amount of shuddering from the engine at low revs. Even from a start with smooth clutch and throttle the engine would shake like it was severely lugging. I was expecting quite the opposite as the engine is supposedly tuned for low end torque. It's not my riding, either. I have been at this for several decades and owned dozens of bikes. Never had this happen before. Has anyone else experienced this?

The other thing I noticed is a frequent topic on this board. The forward slant of the stock seat is noticeable after only a short stint in the saddle. The padding itself was adequate but the angle was a bit forward. I expected this so I was not surprised. I even wondered if it would improve as the seat foam took a set after a few weeks of riding.

Any feedback on the engine issue would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 AM

If you are not used to the new V, and had ridden other bikes, you may not get used to the juddering. The juddering is cause by using the wrong gear and low RPM. I came from a Carbie bike that seems not to have this juddering at all but when switching to the V, it took me a while to get used to it, as I tend to rev low. When going at very low speed, use the 1st gear. A 44T rear sprocket helps.

The juddering did reduced significantly after changing the air filter to high flow rate DNA filters. Vacuum hose mods seems to also help but this is according to those that had done it, not me. A loosen up bike after 3000 miles should also has lesser juddering. I had forgotten the juddering issue as it doesn't come on. I feel the engine lugs, doesn't judder, and drop a gear. My mileage is around 9k km but at 5k km, I haven't had the juddering issue.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 AM

Garage
I agree with to 2damax..... My mileage is 5.6 K and the juddering is gone now. Somehow the engine becomes smoother after several services, plus semi synthetic oil.

Dont forget the idle RPM as well. My bike somehow adjusted itself to 500 rpm when fully warmed up.......during rides the engine will judder with the wrong gear and lack of fuel.

After adjusting it to 1K rpm at full warm up, the engine is okay and performs beautifully.

Just my 2 cents.....woo hooo..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have absolutely no shuddering. I suspect this may be a factor of your riding style, adapting to a new bike, and lugging the engine/not feathering the clutch. As motorcycle engines go the V's engine is more responsive than most at low RPMs but still likes to be run above 3000RPM. What ever the case it usually only takes an hour or so of riding to get used to a particular motor/clutch.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 PM

I agree with the others though I'd have to add to the 3000rpm lowside
at least 800rpm. Changing into a new gear if rev's stay above 4000rpm.
seems fine to me. No lugging.

Rev her out to 5 or 6 grand before shifting up(except of course from a stop, in first gear) will keep you into a sweeter spot in the rev range. my .02 cents.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have absolutely no shuddering. I suspect this may be a factor of your riding style, adapting to a new bike, and lugging the engine/not feathering the clutch. As motorcycle engines go the V's engine is more responsive than most at low RPMs but still likes to be run above 3000RPM. What ever the case it usually only takes an hour or so of riding to get used to a particular motor/clutch.
I agree 100%.

When I came off a cruiser, I was used to keeping the RPMS very low and taking it easy. The Versys does not like to pull with such low RPMS. It is not a V-Twin. My Versys (Stock gearing) struggles at 3000 RPMS but performs great closer to 4000. I also was wondering if I would get used to it. I must say, my mind adapted to the ways of the Versys and I never have that problem anymore.

If I had any major complaints, it would be the gearing of 1st gear (stock). It gets me rolling but must change into second almost instantly. 2-6 are OK for my style. Someday I may change the rear sprocket to a 44 to get a little more use out of each gear.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I agree 100%.

When I came off a cruiser, I was used to keeping the RPMS very low and taking it easy. The Versys does not like to pull with such low RPMS. It is not a V-Twin. My Versys (Stock gearing) struggles at 3000 RPMS but performs great closer to 4000. I also was wondering if I would get used to it. I must say, my mind adapted to the ways of the Versys and I never have that problem anymore.

If I had any major complaints, it would be the gearing of 1st gear (stock). It gets me rolling but must change into second almost instantly. 2-6 are OK for my style. Someday I may change the rear sprocket to a 44 to get a little more use out of each gear.
+1 also

Just when I was going to go to a 44 I was on a dirt road and really needed the the slow first. I agree with all the rest said!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 AM

yeah, forgot about the idle speed. Bike seems to lug more when RPM is 1000 rpm (idle). I adjusted mine to 1200 RPM although the manual says 1350RPM.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode