New and in need of a motor! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New and in need of a motor!

Howdy All!

New here but unfortunately I don't have a Versys, I'm just looking for a motor! How long until I can post in the classifieds?

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know how many posts I need to start a thread in a different section?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:41 PM

You must post twice in Member Introductions and wait 48 hours after you sign up before you can post into the other sections of the forums.

This was done in order to combat spammers.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! I was under the impression that the Versys and 650R motor were exactly the same, but with a slightly different tune in that the Versys makes more power down low where as the 650r needs to be revved out. Either way, I'm sure a tune/power commander would make them identical. Also, coming from a thumper...it's all about the down low torque!

Also, the versys forums seem refined and focused more on the bike, where as the 650R was more of a sportbike in general forum (with a 650R section) with more about wheelies and knee down than the bike itself.

-Alex

EDIT: Looks like the 650R has different cams as well. From wiki: "The Versys's 650 cc liquid cooled, four-stroke parallel-twin engine has been retuned for more bottom-end and mid-range torque. This is achieved with different camshafts and fuel injection mapping. These changes cause peak torque to occur at a lower engine speed and provide better throttle response in the 3000 to 6000 rpm range. In addition a balance tube has been added between the exhaust headers to smooth out power delivery. Power is 59.4 hp @ 8,400 rpm, compared with the Ninja's 65.7 hp @ 8,400 rpm. Torque is 42 ft·lb, compared with the Ninja's 45.5 ft·lb"

In a bike as light as mine I don't need the top end power because 120mph on a dirtbike is more than enough.

Last edited by geek; 12-15-2011 at 10:58 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres a motor on ebay..http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-NEWER-K...#ht_932wt_1165

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. The will be primarily a street bike. If I find a parts bike I will probably just get that working again. Looking at my options.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Yes I am aware of the nickle and diming of a swap project. Ideally I'd get a parts bike but I just need to wait to find one and I'm having trouble searching and turning up anything. What was wrong with the one you got for your project? The bike looks complete.

-Alex

P.s. I posted up in the technical forum and someone mentioned you might have some engine measurement info. That way I can see if this motor will even squeeze in my frame.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
& on your search.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode