Just picked up '09 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking Just picked up '09 Versys

I just trailered home a 2009 green Versys with 187 miles on the clock, a bargain bike. It was dropped before hitting a deer, and the damage was superficial. I have to install $600 in panels and a mirror to make it new again.

Unfortunately, I was not the one who removed the damaged panels, and I have a box of nuts and bolts and screws. When the panels arrive, I'll have a jigsaw puzzle! I'll use bikebandit.com as best I can.

I want a centerstand. Don has three left, but for the lowered suspension only and he says they cannot be modified for the standard height. So, I'll be looking for one of those.

I will be looking at other owners' mods, especially suspension, tankbag and soft topcase. I'm adding a fused line for my heated jacket and gloves, hoping the stator can handle the load.

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats. There is a link to a service manual download somewhere around here.

So, someone put it down in a panic stop and decided that was enough for them and now you get to pick up the pieces and enjoy the bike. Good deal.

Enjoy your winter project and welcome to the Versys Forum.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I just trailered home a 2009 green Versys with 187 miles on the clock, a bargain bike. It was dropped before hitting a deer, and the damage was superficial. I have to install $600 in panels and a mirror to make it new again.

Unfortunately, I was not the one who removed the damaged panels, and I have a box of nuts and bolts and screws. When the panels arrive, I'll have a jigsaw puzzle! I'll use bikebandit.com as best I can.

I want a centerstand. Don has three left, but for the lowered suspension only and he says they cannot be modified for the standard height. So, I'll be looking for one of those.

I will be looking at other owners' mods, especially suspension, tankbag and soft topcase. I'm adding a fused line for my heated jacket and gloves, hoping the stator can handle the load.

Fred
Welcome! When I initially got my V I was concerned about not having a center stand too. With the spools on the swing arm and a rear pit stand (~$50) it is not an issue and you will never miss it. In fact the rear stand is better for working on the bike.

No issues with heated liner and gloves, there is lots of power.

Check out aftermarket mirror alternatives (lots of threads on this site) rather than replacing the lousy stock mirrors.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I only want the centerstand for use on the road, since I've got an EasyRizer lift in the garage.

The links to owners or service manuals that I've found so far are dead. If anyone can email a .pdf file to me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Does the key have a chip in it? I will have two more keys made, and I hope they aren't those $150 keys that have to be programmed, etc.

It's registered and insured, so now I just have to wait for the parts to arrive.

Fred
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
In a pinch it is easy enough to lube the chain on the side stand. I just roll the bike forward or backward a foot or so at a time.

The service manual will take a minute or so to download: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2846
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. Got the service manual. The owners manual .pdf no longer downloads. I'll buy one to put under the seat.

By the way, there are two removable rubber straps under the seat, one in the center (there is empty space between the tool roll and the strap) and another in front of the taillight. What went under the straps?

Fred
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM

My 08 has those straps as well. I think they are for an optional U shaped lock that will fit under the seat.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My 08 does not have a chip key do not think any of the Versys have a immobiliser on them.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 PM

The bike came with a tool kit under the seat. The straps are to hold it in position.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
The bike came with a tool kit under the seat. The straps are to hold it in position.
Correction. There are three straps, and I see one holds the unused tool pouch, while the other two hold down nothing.

Fred

Last edited by FredRydr; 12-11-2011 at 10:32 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
There is an optional U-lock you can purchase that fits under the seat.

There is a guy making a part to help with lubing the chain while on trips.
http://www.packjack.ca/

and a review here.
http://www.riderforums.com/showthrea...ht=#post727429

This guy used it on the axle nut, but I would put swingarm spools on the bike to use it with.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I'm not going to worry about locks, so I'll use that space for more tools under the seat. The bike already has the spools installed on the swingarm. Nice.

I've started to sort through the small bits, bolts, nuts, using a few printed pages from the online parts list you kindly directed me to.

I tend to concentrate on improving and setting up suspension, so I'm taking a hard look at the stocker parts. But I can't ride it on the street for an assessment until I get the ordered parts in (which includes the headlight).

Fred
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 AM

Hi and FredRydr,

PM me your email and I can email you the 2010 owner's manual.
Cheers! and Good Rides!

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 PM

Congrats on the bike & welcome to the forum.

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode