Another newb question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another newb question

What are the best upgrades for the Versys. I'm wanting engine guards and I know I have to get speedy's Flatfoot. What other recomendations do you guys have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well, I can offer a definite "that depends." It depends on your height, your inseam, how you intend to ride, where you're located (mild weather or serious winters and summers), whether you have broad or narrow sholders, and a number of other things. Like Texas Governor Rick Perry, I can't remember them at the moment!

For me, the the stock windshield doesn't offer enough protection so I changed it - at the moment it's the MRA Vario Touring with the adjustable upper section. It's not perfect but it's good and doesn't look like socks on a rooster.

I have (apparently) broad sholders and didn't particularly like looking at them in the mirrors so I changed them - to KTM 990 Super Duke mirrors and like them a lot mostly because I can now see what's behind me.

I also added Moto Werk (Speedy's) foot peg lowering blocks because it makes the riding position more comfortable for me. I would get thigh cramps now and then which made for some curious riding positions.

I tend to want to carry stuff (rain suit, tool kit, mini pump and patch kit, the kitchen sink) so I added Givi hard cases and also like them a lot - they look good (in my opinion) and are durable.

My backside also appreciates the Corbin saddle that was on the bike when I bought it. Some like the Corbin while some don't - sort of like most things in life. For me it's worth it.

I also replaced the stock horm with a PIAA which mounted in the same location as the stock horn and is, thankfully, much louder. Vehicles can actually hear it, and that's a good thing.

Virtually all my riding is on paved roads so I haven't added hand guards (Barkbusters seem to be favorites among members of this forum), or engine guards (yet). Though I haven't tossed a motorcycle since June 1972, engine guards are the next addition I'm considering. And with my luck, I'll probably toss the Versys a day after I install the engine guards!

Before all of these possibilities, however, should come the riding gear that will protect you, the most important part of the equation. The other stuff is, quite honestly, incidental.

Certainly others will offer advice that is as good or better as most of them have had their Versys longer than I've had mine. Still, it's a great machine to spend money on personalizing (whatever the currency may be). Enjoy the ride.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 AM
ggg

speedy's anti vibe handlebar riser, great product, if you are not a light weight guy and when u brake hard and the front dives, take it to a suspension tunner, apart from good tires its the most important mod for handling therefore safety, the rest has already been covered.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 AM

When I got the bike, I had the dealer installed:

1. Givi engine bars

and returned a few days later to install

2. Givi top box E50 and the rack.

I then went ahead to install as a DIY

3. Radiator Guard made out of a cup/glasses drainer
4. Replaced the Horn with a dual louder ones.
5. Rear mud flaps
6. MRA Vario W/S
7. Coolant temperature meter
8. 12V plug

Had also installed by the workshop

9. Stainless Steel Braided brake lines

Check my siggy for pics

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input and replys everyone. I will have to look into the suspension because I am not a little guy.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Did no. 1 before I left the dealer on purchase day.

1. swingarm spools (chain maintenance)
2. Hyperpro rear spring
3. saddlebags, tankbag, tailbag
4. poweroutlet.
5. Ram mount

That's all for the foreseeable future.
I already have other transferable items for my other bikes
E Vest, GPS, etc

[url]http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Parts-accessories/2008/October/oct2408-versys-10-best-parts/[/url

It goes without saying, everyone does not have the same priorities.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 12-01-2011 at 10:18 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Fork Sliders would be good to have. My colleague drop/ slow crash his V and his fork slider did took the brunt of the damage, saving the fork cosmetically and perhaps the front fender.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode