In Praise of Previous Owners (New Member Near San Francisco) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
BMK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In Praise of Previous Owners (New Member Near San Francisco)

The term "previous owner" is often used in a negative context, especially when describing an unfortunate discovery (like an alarming collection of stripped fasteners) on a used bike you've just purchased. But, today, I'd like to take a moment to praise the original owner, and Versys Forum member (jchristian79), of the 2009 Versys I brought home yesterday. I have a hard time imagining that anyone has taken better care of their Versys than Josh has. It's a beautiful bike, and I couldn't have been more impressed by Josh's attention to detail in maintaining it. As my friend said when we inspected the bike, "It looks brand new!"

I'd also like to thank Josh for his professionalism and generosity during the exchange of ownership. He offered to meet me half way between Sacramento and San Francisco, which required that he ride the bike on a very cold morning to Tracy, CA, with his family following in a vehicle to give him a ride home. He also worked with me to get his price down to something I could afford, knowing that I'm a graduate student with very little money to throw around. In the end, I believe the selling price was well below market value, especially considering all of the extras and modifications he included, and it must have been hard to let the bike go for so little, when he had put so much effort and money into it. Although I had to stretch my budget to make it work, I know that I got a great deal, and I know that I owe Josh more than a few beers in the coming years.

So, thank you, Josh! I hope your departure from this forum is only temporary, and that you'll be back riding as soon as the time is right for you.

Regarding me and my introduction, I've been riding a 2007 Ninja 250 for about 8 months and 10,000 miles of twisties in the Santa Cruz Mountains, which must have some of the best riding in the country. As much as I loved riding the nimble little 250 on our local goat roads and along our beautiful coast, my knees have been getting increasingly angry with me as I fold my 6'2" frame onto the bike for 250 miles of spirited backroad riding. What started as a mildly annoying ache had recently become bad enough to keep me from riding, and that was a situation I could no longer tolerate.

So, after thinking carefully about what I wanted from a second bike (freeway and touring capable, comfort for the long-legged, sporty enough to rail on the backroads), I naturally started thinking about the Versys. After talking to some Versys owners, and hearing about their love for their bikes, I started the search that eventually led me here. I can't believe how well I fit on the Versys, by the way. It's like someone custom-built a bike to fit me. I spent the day yesterday grinning from ear-to-ear as I tossed the Versys into corner after corner, and never feeling that old, familiar screaming from my knees.

Photo borrowed from Josh:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being an active member of the forum and learning from all of you. I'm also hoping to meet some of you on rides, so feel free to say hello if you're in my area. I'm always willing to lend a hand with maintenance tasks or to host a weary traveler. The accommodations in my apartment are a bit Spartan, but the location is hard to beat.

Last edited by BMK; 11-22-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the New (to you) Blue! Looks like some nice sensible mods. Enjoy it!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM

The blue sure looks good!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Great intro!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM

from across the bay...

I'll be on the look out for your blue beauty!

CJ
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
BMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
from across the bay...

I'll be on the look out for your blue beauty!

CJ
Thanks! I'm wondering if you bought the 2011 that was on Craigslist here recently. Looked really nice!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:45 AM

welcome! I was also on the 250 Ninja but a 08 model. What a big difference in riding it made switching to the V.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great intro and Josh is one of the good guys so i am sure you got great deal.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
from the ASIAN BLUE V.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:30 PM

Welcome. I started riding in June. I started on a Nighthawk 250. I did a couple trips to Tahoe and The Russian river, I had a great time on that bike but 6 weeks later I was on my 2009 previously owned Versys. Like yours mine was taken care of perfectly. Since getting my Versys in mid July I have put 9,000 miles on her. Ive got a 5,000 mile trip coming up in December, I LOVE my bike!
I am also in San Francisco so let me know if you want to do some weekend excursions. Gregory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode