Intro and a Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Intro and a Question

Hi.. just got an 08 Versys about 3 months ago. First time rider too.. great bike although the shifter is very clunky and sometimes doesn't want to go from 1st to 2nd.. it ends up back in neutral. I already had my clutch cable fray also so I had to replace that. The forums here have been great so far for information. Thanks for that.

I think I had someone tugging on my handlebar last night trying to break it out of locked position. The left side got bent a few degrees toward the front of the bike. I was just going to buy a new handlebar.. wanted to post in the wanted section. Before I do.. since it's not much of a bend would it be ok to just bend it back? Or is that a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Are you sure it isn't just the forks tweaked (twisted) a litlle as opposed to your bars actually being bent?.... As far as the difficult shifting is concerned (does this happen while stopped or moving?)... I assume you clutch is properly adjusted (freeplay) and your oil is/has been changed on a regular basis?...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 PM

Option #1 -- No Cash

You could straighten the bars... but don't bend them on the bike.
Remove them and clamp them as not to mar them.
Then re-bend them slowly and in small increments... checking for proper fit and alignment as you go.

Option#2 -- If you have a little extra coin

New bars are not that expensive and give you the option to customize your riding position.

FYI: I never lock my steering as the lock can be easily broke by just about any moron.
I used a Xena xx14 disc brake lock / alarm but if someone wants your bike bad enough they will manage to take it.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case

Last edited by eldiablo; 11-03-2011 at 08:11 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

I can't speak to if the oil was changed before I got it but it was only 4600 miles and i changed it at 7000.. the problem has already begun at that point. The oil change didn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

When I cold start it, it actually shifts into first from neutral without much of a lurch. All shifting seems smoother at this point. As it warms up, it becomes more sloppy. If I downshift too quickly or late when coming to a stop sometimes it refuses to shift. It feels like it doesn't catch when I lift my foot up.

Since I replaced the clutch cable on my own I doubt it's adjusted perfectly. I'll take another look at the manual and try to adjust it better. I don't have it set up right now with any play at the lever when disengaged but that's mainly to see if I can affect how it's shifting.

On a side note the previous owner had installed some aftermarket pegs and the left side had started to come loose. I had taken it off to tighten it and may have damaged one of the rubber covers that cover the joints on the shifter. I'm not sure how much those can be played with or if that would have any affect on the shifting.

People talk about the Versys' shifting being clunky but its hard for me to tell if mine is worse than normal seeing as how it's my first bike.

As for the fork being tweaked I'll really have to look at that... sounds dangerous. Are there any signs I could look for? I did notice that the right side of my handlebar has also come in toward me a bit as well. That would seem to indicate it was the riser or the fork I suppose.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
Option #1 -- No Cash

You could straighten the bars... but don't bend them on the bike.
Remove them and clamp them as not to mar them.
Then re-bend them slowly and in small increments... checking for proper fit and alignment as you go.

Option#2 -- If you have a little extra coin

New bars are not that expensive and give you the option to customize your riding position.

FYI: I never lock my steering as the lock can be easily broke by just about any moron.
I used a Xena xx14 disc brake lock / alarm but if someone wants your bike bad enough they will manage to take it.
So do you think the lock would have broken before the riser or handlebar was bent?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Difficulty in shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes hit a N is mainly due to the engine oil that you are using, most likely the oil is either too old or have sheared down in viscosity to a lighter oil.

My old ex-250R Ninja was sensitive to the kind of oil I put in. New oil works great. Some oil 'dies' earlier than others and the first symptom of a dying oil is the gear shifts, getting a lot of Neutrals, rather than 2nd gear. I've got oil that last a mere 1200km before seeing this symptoms. Some beaten down oil works well when it is cold and as u ride, it heats up, and coupled with warm weather, the shifting can be frustrating. It means, the oil has to be replaced. Try other brand of oils if u can.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Difficulty in shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes hit a N is mainly due to the engine oil that you are using, most likely the oil is either too old or have sheared down in viscosity to a lighter oil.

My old ex-250R Ninja was sensitive to the kind of oil I put in. New oil works great. Some oil 'dies' earlier than others and the first symptom of a dying oil is the gear shifts, getting a lot of Neutrals, rather than 2nd gear. I've got oil that last a mere 1200km before seeing this symptoms. Some beaten down oil works well when it is cold and as u ride, it heats up, and coupled with warm weather, the shifting can be frustrating. It means, the oil has to be replaced. Try other brand of oils if u can.
The shifting issues continued despite the oil change which leads me to believe it's due to the type of oil they used or other issues. I'll try to pick a specific oil next time I change it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neospud1 View Post
I can't speak to if the oil was changed before I got it but it was only 4600 miles and i changed it at 7000.. the problem has already begun at that point. The oil change didn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

When I cold start it, it actually shifts into first from neutral without much of a lurch. All shifting seems smoother at this point. As it warms up, it becomes more sloppy. If I downshift too quickly or late when coming to a stop sometimes it refuses to shift. It feels like it doesn't catch when I lift my foot up.

Since I replaced the clutch cable on my own I doubt it's adjusted perfectly. I'll take another look at the manual and try to adjust it better. I don't have it set up right now with any play at the lever when disengaged but that's mainly to see if I can affect how it's shifting.

On a side note the previous owner had installed some aftermarket pegs and the left side had started to come loose. I had taken it off to tighten it and may have damaged one of the rubber covers that cover the joints on the shifter. I'm not sure how much those can be played with or if that would have any affect on the shifting.

People talk about the Versys' shifting being clunky but its hard for me to tell if mine is worse than normal seeing as how it's my first bike.

As for the fork being tweaked I'll really have to look at that... sounds dangerous. Are there any signs I could look for? I did notice that the right side of my handlebar has also come in toward me a bit as well. That would seem to indicate it was the riser or the fork I suppose.
Since you have done clutch cable replacement, you might revisit that part and see if it make any difference.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

How do I check to see if the fork is tweaked? When I'm at speed each side of the fork appears to be perpendicular to the bike.. is there a way the front wheel can become misaligned? Is there a surefire sign that its tweaked?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 AM
GDI

The easiest way to see if the forks are tweaked is just to look at the front fender. If the fender is straight with the tire, you're golden. Any misalignment of the forks should be magnified by the fender.

Fortunately, I haven't seen this effect with my Versys, but it was apparent on another bike that I had.

GDI
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 AM

mine was doing that and it was a crimp in the cable, easy fix and could not believe why i did not pick up on it sooner than i did. fyi hope you know there is a diference in car oil and motorcycle oil. Mine shifts smooth but my other bike is a r75/5 and has clunked while shifting for 150,000 miles and stile runs great.
cheers
jet
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettexas View Post
mine was doing that and it was a crimp in the cable, easy fix and could not believe why i did not pick up on it sooner than i did. fyi hope you know there is a diference in car oil and motorcycle oil. Mine shifts smooth but my other bike is a r75/5 and has clunked while shifting for 150,000 miles and stile runs great.
cheers
jet
Yeah I'm aware.. either way a dealer did the oil change for me. I'm more concerned with the front alignment at this point. I can definitely live with a clunky transmission although I'd avoid getting a bike like that in the future.

I suppose after taking a close look at the fork I'll pull the handlebar and riser off and check them individually. Still no reply on how to fix the fork if it's 'tweaked' if anyone wants to chime in. Do I just pull the wheel off and reset it? I imagine some other parts would need to be tightened/checked.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM

You might try adjusting the shift lever too. I wear a narrow joe rocket super street boot and adjusting the lever helped mine. I wasn't getting enough of a kick up for 1st to 2nd. The other gears seem to be closer together.

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QtrLitre View Post
You might try adjusting the shift lever too. I wear a narrow joe rocket super street boot and adjusting the lever helped mine. I wasn't getting enough of a kick up for 1st to 2nd. The other gears seem to be closer together.
That might have something to do with it.. for some reason it is starting to feel like a stretch from 1st to 2nd. I didn't really notice at first. The previous owner put adjustable pegs in so I'll try a different position. Not quite sure how to adjust the shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode