Versys-curious in WV - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys-curious in WV

Hey everyone......just registered to assist in researching the Versys. I've had an '06 KLR and an '09 DL650. Both were awesome in their own ways, but as I'm currently bikeless, I figured I'd keep looking for the perfect bike for me. The KLR was a slug on the interstate, which I do use on longer trips. The Wee was squirrely in gravel and felt....well, huge. LOL Most of my riding was 50 mile round trip commutes with quarterly long rides (WV to Maine, WV to VT, WV to TX, WV to FL).

From what I've read here, it's near unanimous that the Versys is NOT an "off road" bike......but I have to ask.....what is "off road"? 99% of my non-paved riding has been on decently maintained gravel, and I expect the same will hold true when I resume riding. No single track for me, thanks.

Anyway, nice ta meetcha, and I hope to learn more.

The Wee and I in Narragansett.

Last edited by AllenTC2; 10-30-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Hey, welcome to the forum! That was a nice looking Wee setup!

This is a great place to pick up info on the Versys, but not so great for unbiased opinions. I have a '92KLR and have ridden the Wee, so mine is a somewhat informed biased opinion.

So I've never been to West Virginia but I hear that it's fairly mountainous and that the roads are pretty twisty. If those are the roads you like to ride then you'll like the Vs.
Compared to the Wee (and the Killer) the handling is quite sporty. The motor has good snap, and tho it's not as smooth as the Wee, it's waay better than the Killer on the hiway. The bike has a pretty short wheelbase and would not be described as huge by any body who's ridden those bikes.
I ride the Versys off pavement quite a bit; yesterday a ride to the coast with about 20 miles of maintained gravel/dirt on a 220 mile round-trip ride. That's pretty typical.
Of course, if you are taking it off the pavement you may want to Armor-up a bit. It seems that you enjoy accessorizing your bike, and the Vs. great for that too.
My '09 before a trip early this summer. A few "improvements" since then!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Hey AllenTC2, My sis lives near you (Saint Albans). I have yet to see a versys in WV (they are there, I just have not seen one yet!).
My wife and I both have a Versys, we love them, not done many journeys over around 120 miles, but always found them very comfortable and able.
I would love to get a cheap Versys and keep it in Sis's garage for when I am there!!, it would be great for the back roads around Scott Depot, Teays, Hurricane etc

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 PM

Love the pic! I live in narragansett and was actually just at a friends house who is originally from WV. I drove by that exact spot driving home. Good luck on the search for the next toy!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTwins View Post
Hey AllenTC2, My sis lives near you (Saint Albans). I have yet to see a versys in WV (they are there, I just have not seen one yet!).
My wife and I both have a Versys, we love them, not done many journeys over around 120 miles, but always found them very comfortable and able.
I would love to get a cheap Versys and keep it in Sis's garage for when I am there!!, it would be great for the back roads around Scott Depot, Teays, Hurricane etc
VTwins, if you want to swap your V with me, you tour the US, I tour Europe, well PM me. I've swapped my ST1300 in Europe and New Zealand. I would like to come back and tour your region again. Swapping beats rentals or buying in my opinion anyway. I've been to Ireland once on a sailboat but toured very little on land. I did enjoy my brief time there.

AllenTC2, I rode to Charleston and looked at your Wee, settled on a V but just want you to know I like the bike and I'm farkling it now for touring purposes.
Good luck on your search.
Joe in Beckley
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and nice picture of the wee .

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 AM

Welcome from Ohio.......Last month I/we rode over 2K miles in WV in a week, we stayed in Weston, and rode out of there everyday. WV is my favorite state to ride in by far, I think it has the best roads in the country. I didn't take my Versys though, I rode my FZ1, because I met up with 2 friends with FZ1's. My next trip will be on the Versys. Also I found a new "day ride" from here in WV....I go to Marietta, to St Mary's down RT16 to RT47, and back up to Moundsville, and back home. It makes for a 400+ mile day for me, but awsome roads.....

I don't do any "off roading" at all, or gravel, but the Versys should handle gravel fine, it's listed as a sport bike by Kawasaki.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15080446.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	13217   Click image for larger version

Name:	15080158.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	13218  

'15 DL1000
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 AM

Never rode the Wee, so no comparison there. I did however sit on one at the dealer and it was huge. The Versys is quite sporty without the insane power to keep you in trouble with the law.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Baron - depends on what of WV you're in. Most of the twisty stuff is in eastern WV, along the VA/MD border. I'm not much of a knee-dragger, so I'm kinda ambivalent about what kind of road I ride on...just interested in what I can see on the way. LOL

VTwins - No kidding? Does she ride? : ) Personally, I find the area around where I live kinda boring. I like over in Greenbrier/Pocahantas/Webster counties. More scenic, more fire roads through the state and national forests.

Fineout - I loved it up there! I was on my way to the 2010 Cromag rally when I took that pic. I bet winters there are pretty brutal though.

Joe - So did you get a Versys or DL1000?? I wound up selling the Wee to a guy down in NC, he's loving it. My plan was to just enjoy the last couple of years he's got in high school, maybe take a trip with him out west his senior year (in a car)......but it looks like I'll be getting promoted soon and I'm already thinking about saving up for another bike. LOL I'm currently leaning towards a newer KLR, but I'm hesitant due to it on the highway. I heard the >'08 models are smoother.

On the Wee, I could easily do 800+ miles a day. I ran down to Tampa from here back in May. On that VT trip, I made it home (862 miles) from Barnard. Is a Versys good for that?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTC2 View Post
Joe - So did you get a Versys or DL1000?? I wound up selling the Wee to a guy down in NC, he's loving it. My plan was to just enjoy the last couple of years he's got in high school, maybe take a trip with him out west his senior year (in a car)......but it looks like I'll be getting promoted soon and I'm already thinking about saving up for another bike. LOL I'm currently leaning towards a newer KLR, but I'm hesitant due to it on the highway. I heard the >'08 models are smoother.

On the Wee, I could easily do 800+ miles a day. I ran down to Tampa from here back in May. On that VT trip, I made it home (862 miles) from Barnard. Is a Versys good for that?
Allen I bought an 08 Versys from a guy near Lewisburg. 800+mile days for me would be off the charts 200 a day is good for this Geezer but some of the other guys could render an opinion here. There is one fellow here (DBD34)? who took one to TDF and from what I gather he was pleased with the performance. I think he was mostly on decent roads. He made some mods to get more dirt worthy. I would like to copy his ride
I thought I would want to modify the saddle but so far so good for a 200m day?
Ride Safe,
Joe
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Oh, those long days were all slab. I had limited free time and had to get to where I was going in a hurry. LOL
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Yes, old retard guys like myself can avoid slabbin it unless we have to be in a hurry, which can't be too often.
Congrats on your promotion and thanks for your service!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
On the Wee, I could easily do 800+ miles a day. I ran down to Tampa from here back in May. On that VT trip, I made it home (862 miles) from Barnard. Is a Versys good for that?[/QUOTE]

Yes...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15577

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 AM

Compared them all.

Hello and welcome Allen.
I have had a couple KLR's and two of my friends have the stroms and have let me ride them a bunch. In a direct comparison with the strom, the versys is quite a bit shorter and easier to flick around. The strom has more room for a passenger. Comparing power and speed, they are pretty even. The versys feels faster, but neither one of us runs away from the other no matter which bike we are on. I actually listed my 08 versys for sale a while back, but now am unsure if I want to part with it. I live in Clifton Forge VA. If your ever down this way, your more than welcome to try it out.
Best of luck in your search,
Fred
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

LOL That is one heck of a packing job!! LOL
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM

Well, I too live in WV (western Gbr Co) and as a former owner of a KLR, I have never looked back since buying my Versys. The Versys will do any and all of the kinds of gravel you are talking about. If you are bored, give this a look see, and it was done w/ all street tires. And you can crank twisties on the paved mountain backway and byways allllll day long.

And here's a paved backway/byway adventure

And to a great forum.

Montani Semper Liberi

Last edited by spklbuk; 10-31-2011 at 06:58 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

That is pretty awesome! And that's a stock Versys you're doing that on? How about long distance touring?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM

Allen,

Having owned a '09 Wee and now riding a '08 V I concur with gonefishing's comparison of the Wee and V. He is dead on from my experience with both bikes.

The highest mile day that I have ridden on the V was 400 on a Baldwin seat.

As you have most likely read on the forum the seat and windshield choice make a huge difference in the comfort level of the V.

Welcome to the forum.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Quick question (as I can't ask yet on the General forum)....

I REALLY like both the color schemes for the upcoming 2012 year......are there any significant differences in model years since 2007? I see the headlight (thankfully) got redesigned in 2011 I guess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode