Hi! ...and why?.............. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi! ...and why?..............

Hi everyone in the Versys community! I just thought I'd introduce myself as a new member. I've lurked on the site since just before I purchased my '09 Plasma Blue in June of this year. It's great to see a forum where there is such a sense of unity and passion for everything V related!
Everyone I've met loves my V (and I am apparently chopped liver... hmmm.....), and I always get asked "Why did I get it"... I actually earned my motorcycle license about 10 years ago, and soon after that purchased a 1991 Yamaha Virago 1100. I loved the bike - comfy, great power, smooth power delivery, beautiful looks (I, apparently, was one of the few who actually loved the styling of the Virago...), and bullet-proof engine. I had never had any real issues with the Virago in my tenure with the bike, but this year when I broke the bike out of winter storage I took it for an inaugural drive only to find that it would hardly go -- and very begrudgingly at that. I'd roll all the way on the throttle, and if I were on a level surface or going downhill acceleration would be sufficient (but only sufficient), but uphill the bike would lose power significantly. I limped it back home and siphoned the gas out only to find that I had MAJOR rust in the gas tank. I had used dry-gas and Sta-bil, and ran it through the lines before storage, and yet there was STILL significant corrosion in the tank in the Spring. I was able to drive it to my local Yamaha/Kawi/Polaris dealer. After proper dissection, I got a call from them saying "Yeah, rust is in there AND in your reserve tank as well." Fantastic... just what I freakin' need. "You can have us scrape and coat the tanks, but the Kream coating is a 6 hour process (what they would charge me in labor…) to put on after that, and with the higher ethanol content there's no real guarantee that it's going to stay on". This, coupled with my bike not passing inspection due to its' need for a new rear tire and some basic maintenance, was going to send the cost of repair up to just over $1000. Eek! Decision time now, because Kelly Blue Book value of the Virago in good condition was $1360. Geez, and of course I'm not financially ready to buy a new bike. And there were no tanks available on ebay or Craigslist. Meanwhile, the bike just sits, and I'm not riding... The dealership had a Blue Versys in stock, and I loved the styling (I've always been a sucker for the traditional bike look). I knew that it was a 650, but knew nothing more about it at that point. I went home and did a side by side comparison between my Virago and the Versys, and noted that they had virtually the same horsepower -- an 1100 and a 650 w/ the almost the same horsepower?!?! I should have remembered this when just for fun I took a Yamaha V Star 1300 out for a test drive 2 years ago and I got it up to 55 m.p.h. in 3rd gear. I do remember thinking that I could get in a mess of trouble in a big fat hurry if I weren't careful on that machine. Anyways, I went back to the dealership the next day and asked if I could take the Versys for a test drive. After getting the keys, I proceeded to take it on a 50 mile drive around the Central Square area, and after getting used to the riding position (quite different than on the Virago) 45 seconds later, the smile could not be wiped from my face. I returned the machine, and the salesman asked the inevitable -- "So, what'd you think?" "Wow.... I.... wow.... wow.... *shaking my head*.... wow..." He's chuckling, and the look he had was that of someone just about to smell significant amounts of $$$ hitting his palms... I said "O.K. I live in the hills of Pompey, and if I'm going to pull the trigger on this little deal, I'm going to have to take the bike out there because my miles are primarily highway and hills. Can I sign it out overnight or something like that?" "No, but come here first thing in the morning, put some gas in it, and take it all day - and bring it back when you're done". Can do... So 2 days later I did just that and put another 100 miles on it on that test drive. Just amazing -- up and down the hills with no problems whatsoever. No lugging or chugging or straining -- just giggles under the helmet. After I got back, I sat down with the guy and worked out the numbers so that with 36 easy payments of $117/month, it too will be mine. Every time I ride the smiles just get bigger and bigger. So now I'm hooked -- not because of the loan... ...but now because the farkling process has only just begun...

ATGATT and ride safe,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM

Sounds like you've figured out what the rest of us have about the V. Shhhhhhhhhh.......

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM

. Great story.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Welcome to the forum. It is a great bike an puts lots of smiles on my face too.
Even after 8 months which used to be rare for me.. It's a keeper!!

2013 Versys1000
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 PM
MTS

And if you want to keep the snap and increase your mpg put in the highest octane offered at the pump! It makes a big difference!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 PM

greetings and like your story, glad you are enjoying your new versys. I have had mine for 2 and a half years and still have that smile.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I just brought a ninja 1000 but will not sell the Versys as it still gives me way to many silly grins under my helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode