Hello from Sydney, Australia - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Sydney, Australia

Greetings all!

New Versys rider here. In fact, so new I haven't even picked it up yet! I've test ridden the same model (2008) here in Sydney and she's the bike for me. I'll fly to Brisbane earlier next week with a cheque in my pocket and meet my new ride at the airport. 1000km straight back to Sydney in one day will give me time to get the feel for her! I'm told she doesn't 'buzz' so this will definitely test that out

I'm currently a BMW F650 rider. BUT, I am so sick of paying through nose for everything. Not only is it unreliable but when it does break down it costs ****e-loads! Enoughs enough, back to Kawasaki.

I've been trawling through the web researching the V and it looks like the most reliable, cheap to fix, cheap to modify etc etc bike you can find. 'Soft feeling rear brake' and 'buzz in the cowls that can be easily fixed' are basically the only two problems that seem to crop up. Jump on the F650 site (chain gang) and have a look at the maintenance section! WTF?!?!

So, bye bye beemer - anybody want to buy it off me? and hello Versys!! (well, hello on Tuesday!)

BTW, in Australia the only colour you can get new is black and there is only one bike for sale second hand on the whole of the internet that is not kwaka green. Whats with that? Yellow looks cool, so does red. hmmmm, Australia not ready for the far out wacky colours (like blue, red and yellow) of the rest of the world?!?!

Anyway, thats me. If you're in oz and heading to the Snowy Ride this year, keep an eye out for a dude with a white helmet with a big 'N' on the back, grinning on top of a green V. That'll be me!

I'll tell you all how the 1000 kays straight off the bat goes next week...

JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
& on your 1000km Iron Butt Ride.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
neighbor
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 AM

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 AM

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:26 PM

HI, welcome & good luck with the bike. It will be interesting to hear how the trip goes. I drove down (in the car) a week back and there was loads of road works going on up north. I heard of some big hold ups but I had a good run and hopefully it won't be an issue for you. Overall the run is certainly a lot quicker than it used to be.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Dav

Welcome and congrats
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Hello again all,

Well, I've picked the V up. Can I just say that the versys is the best damn bike ever built! I did the 950km Brisbane to Sydney in 11 hours include a lunch break. Didn't miss a beat, sat in the cruise completely effortlessly. Even in top gear at 130km/hr, a quick twist gets her rocketing forward - it feels like it would 300km/hr if you wanted!! I guess you guys all knew that right

The trip itself was fine. The road works weren't too bad. There was one blockage that would have been a real pain in a car - the line was huge! Of course, I just sneak up the emergency lane and start at the front, simple! A small amount of rain just leaving Brissy but thats all. If you're interested I stopped at Ballina for fuel, Coffs Harbour for lunch, Kempsey and Cardiff (near Newcastle) for fuel. Could have done it with less fuel stops but my arse was starting to hit the limit.

The bike as has the stock rear sprocket but still averaged 4.8L/100km (55MPG), woot!!

Righto, thats about it. I spent today changing rego etc over so tomorrow I get to wash all the bugs off and generally get to know her.

Later...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 AM
ggg

Hi a green 08 SA ( adelaide) versys rider here, great bike alot of talk about gearing but as you have noticed at 130kph its smooth as with more to go. in australia stuff all versys around but the word is spreading, i was at the moto gp at phillip island for 4 days and not one versys sighting and stuff all green amongst the black and red crowds with a flash of blue every now and then, they have no idea how good the versys is but you do

Congrats on the bike, to make it better i have revalved the forks... a bit soft for 89kg guy and 2 up,the motowerk anti vibe bar risers together with there peg lowering kit are good mods to open up a some what cramped egros's, otherwise a very good bike and a great price, i noticed a big improvement after the first service so your bike is just going to get better.. enjoy
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Garage
Welcome.

Ride on over to Perth and I'll buy you a beer! (I'm here working for the next week before heading back to Colorado).

'09 Versys
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I can't work out why the V isn't more common. It is such a good bike for the price. Even if it was more expensive it would still be a good bike!

I found the peg/seat/bar distances spot on. I might hunt around for some new, metal pegs tho. I often stand up to stretch out a bit like why hitting the 60 zone approaching a town. I have a fear that one time my foot will slip sidewards off the rubber topped peg and I'll hit the road. A supper grippy pivot pegz should do the trick.

My bike has had the tail chopped which looks much better I reckon and as an added bonus, it actually passed rego like that, shweet!

I would like to do a Perth ride one day, but not this week!

I'll be interested to see how many Versys there are on the Snowy Ride this year.

Cheers
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 AM

Congrats on your new machine and the safe delivery. I will finally be picking mine up one Wednesday. Fortunately I only need to head across town to Alexandria!
I saw my first ever V being ridden last night as I headed home from work - a black machine with a Givi top box and two up heading down Beacon Hill. I wondered if they are on the forum?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Oooh, a new one Begbiie? I've only ever seen black ones too. Apparently you can have any colour you want so long as it's black!

A spent today washing and polishing her. I also pulled all the cowls off to try and stop the buzzing. I stuck foam all over the inside of the side panels which help dramatically. It still buzzes briefly when accelerating but I can stop that by pressing down on top of the instrument cluster. By looking at it I couldn't see an easy way to pull the top plastic off the instruments so I stuffed a small piece of foam through the front. If it stops the buzzing completely, I'll get brave and try to get the plastic off to make a permanent fix that doesn't look too dodgy.

JB
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 AM

Welcome ..aye ain't too many of us here in Aus. or if there are, we just keep a low profile.

to really fix those vibes grab a cheap stubby holder from a 2 dollar shop, (you know the wetsuit kind) and cut that up and replace the standard Kwaka foam pads.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
At least you guys got a bronze medal in the rugby world cup sambamboo
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 11:40 PM

Hi It's the Pleats
I am a new member and about to fly to Hervey Bay to pick up my 2008 green machine, then riding 1300km back to Central Coast. Love to keep in touch to compare notes. Noticed a great bargain in Ipswich - 2010 with 2000km for 7500 - went in a week. I too had a bmw G650gs - great bike, but single cylinder just too slow. I pick my V up on the 10 jan.

JCluggo
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:25 AM

welcome ;-) and it's the same in France now, no legendary green color for Ver6 :-( also I made a personal paint ;-) good trip next ...........V........... JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode