Greetings! New rider in New Jersey - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Greetings! New rider in New Jersey

Hello All,

Great forum here and glad to be here. A little little about me...

Early 40s and living in NJ right across the river from NYC. Never thought about riding since I was never allowed to when younger, but recently my wife kept bringing it up. So, talked to a few friends who do ride, took the motorcycle safety course last month and it opened up a whole new world to me.

Been looking at options for my first motorcycle. came across bmw F650gs, vstrom 650, multistrada 620. Had concerns with each though and the Versys kept popping up in threads. I had to find out more...Looked closer at it and I really think it could be the one for me.

My needs? Good in stop and go, slow traffic as well as fun in the twisties. easy maintenance, reliable, no major defects, comfortable two up for long weekend getaways with the wife, fun for errand running and new rider friendly. Wondering if I do get a Versys, if there are certain mods to do to make it easier for a new rider or if it is not necessary at all.

If I had any concerns with a bike I get, it would be that it felt too big or tall, unwieldy or hard to maneuver in slow speeds and me dropping it. I am 5'11 and 205lbs. I plan to take things very slow and get many miles under my belt before thinking about letting my wife jump on back but I am looking forward to the adventure to come.

Anyway, I am here to learn more and join in the community. Any and all advice, comments, etc. would be welcomed and appreciated as it would help me with my decision on my new bike! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 PM

welcome neighbor

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, my wife test rode a demo versys 2.5 years ago and thought it was a easy ride, she 5'6 60 kg's and had not had a lot of experience then, she currently rides a cruiser as that the style she likes.

I would consider it a easy bike to ride in comparison to some others and very forgiving if you over cook a corner at highway speeds. It is a flickable fun bike.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 AM

The Versys is a great all around machine. One word...FUN.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Welcome. Bike is easy to ride. I am 5'8" and same weight as OP. Bought the Versys to get back into riding. Wife was not sure about riding with me, as she watched me race years ago and heard all the back in the day stories.

Fast forward a month. She has her own ATGAT set up and loves riding. The twisties still spook her a bit. But she has never ridden. I am currently looking to upgrade to a FJR for long riding.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 AM

Sounds familiar

Welcome! It sounds like our pursuit from scratch / concerns has a similar ring to it. The type of riding and desire to be up right put me in the BMW / Suzuki / Kawasaki 650 row. Late starter too... 48 / DE. Took the class at Mikes Harley and decided on the Kaw / best value, perfect fit too. I've put over 2000 miles on it in the last three months and do the service myself. The is an easy bike to ride and own. Just get on it and go (give it a once over though... in the unlikely event that something happened to it since last you looked....(like you're oil or coolant vaporized). I did get a mount for my kayak GPS so that I have a general idea of where I am (I just ride to nowhere... and sometimes that's where I end up). This motorcycle is ready to go at delivery. However, it is quite bare, so if you like to carry stuff... you'll have to address that. This bike isn't very heavy so it is a breeze to push and maneuver at slow speed (parking lots, driveways, in town). It really shines as a back roader / getting out of the house for a few hours here and there (which is why I bought it). It has no problem with being on the highway all day, but it really isn't where it shines. Other bikes are made for that.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 AM

Greetings and good luck in your quest.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcomes and for all the feedback on the bike. It definitely puts me more at ease hearing some of the stories. Been looking to see if there were any 'must have' add ons like a crash bar.

Seems like the Versys does not have any major issues to worry about. Re: the 2010+ models, other than some nice cosmetic changes, I also wonder if it's worth the cost for the upgrades to vibration issues, etc.

I'm almost certain to get a Versys, just a matter of which year...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 AM

I just got mine from a friend who is a BMW diehard fan. His R1200R has been written off in July so he got a Versys in August to ride until now(he's leaving Canada soon). As I came to find out he got it because of my suggestion and absolutely fell in love with it, ground the peg pins down, lol.
Anyway, I don't have many years under my belt, but I have ridden a few bikes over the last 3 years and Versys is the best first bike at this size I'd say. Better then the SV650. Anything that's better is below 650cc. It's unbelievably flickable and easy to correct the line if you overdo it in a corner. Friendly throttle response and lots of leverage for slow maneuvering.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM

HI Tiki greetings from the other end of the state. Just remember the blue ones are faster and sexier than the green ones....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode