Goodbye Honda! Hello V! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Goodbye Honda! Hello V!

Greetings for North Texas! I bought my 08 Versys roughly a month ago and have loved every minute on this quick, agile machine. This is my third bike. The first was a 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 - a great learning machine (both in terms of riding and turning a wrench). Next, I bought my dad's 2001 Honda Shadow Aero 1100. After farkling it with Stebel airhorn, Powerlet, CB, XM, Zumo, aux lights, fuse block and 7 gallon aux tank, this was a fabulous long distance runner. From N. TX, that Aero took me to Vegas, LA, Fort Wayne, IN (my folks house) and everywhere around Texas. Unfortunately, the Aero died on the return trip from LA and left me stranded in the NM desert. That's a whole other story, but suffice to say I've had better weekends.
After that, I began the search for a new ride. I already had it in my head that I wanted to try a sport touring posture. I've had fun riding my brother's KLR and my dad's BMW. While the Aero was extremely comfortable, it was not what I would call sporty. Its like riding a Lazy Boy. Not wanting to drop too much coin on a posture that may not suit me, I started to research models. I had narrowed the search to either a Versys or a V-Strom. Both got great reviews and raves from the long distance community.
Craigs List made up my mind for me when I saw my 08 advertised at a price that worked. One test ride and I was hooked. While not fair to compare the V with my Aero, I have little choice. It's all I know. The V is so much quicker and lighter. Considering it weighs only 2/3 of my Aero, it is so much easier to throw through twisty turny roads. I ran from Fort Worth to Branson, MO over Labor Day weekend and had a blast.
Next we begin the farkling process all over again. Of course, most will be stripped from the Aero. But there will be long, happy hours in the garage running wires.
I look forward to learning lots about this great machine from members of this forum. I hope to even make a contribution from time to time. Thanks the administrators for keeping the forum up and providing such a great resource.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
& A Big Howdy

Part of the year i'm right down the road from you in Sendera Ranch out in Haslet. Right now i'm right out of Los Angeles. There are some really good guys from the forum in the DFW area. Enjoy the Versys its a great little bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Yep, the ole' Versys is a great all around machine. I'm on my 2nd one. Welcome to the forum and there is a lot of knowledge to share on here so don't hesitate to ask. A lot of your questions can be answered by using the search, but sometimes you just can't find it so post up. Bye the way, how are those highway pegs working out for you?

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 07:38 PM

Welcome! This is a great forum. Lots of great info. We must be neighbors? I'm in Wichita Falls.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Greetings, and I like your introduction. Have fun be safe.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 AM

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
my story was bye bye bmw and helloooooooooo Versys and my orange is very fast
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Hi Merchant,

I think you're the guy who bought my Versys.
If so, I hope you're enjoying it as much as I did. Was such a great bike for me. I miss her but am having fun getting used to the big KTM now.

This forum is a great resource, I also found lots of good info here.

Cheers, John
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I will certainly not be shy about asking stupid questions - they are my specialty.

To dallasdon, the highway peg mounts are working out wonderfully! I wish I had more opportunity to use them during my communte. I think I will eventually have to upgrade to better pegs, but the mounts are great.

For those that don't know, dallasdon is the engineer/creator/perveyor of the V center stand and highway peg mounts found on versyscenterstand.com. As his headquarters are not too far from my house, Don was kind enough to volunteer to help me install these peg mounts a couple weeks ago. I will post elsewhere on the forum once I have permission, but I want to relay that without Don's help, there is no chance I could have made these mounts work on my V.

These highway peg mounts were designed for V's without engine guards. Becuase my V has guards, the peg mounts were off by the thickness of the guard's mounting plates. Don worked with me for a good 4 to 5 hours to retrofit the mounts. This included some rather tasty Jimmy Dean breakfast biscuits, a couple trips to the hardward store in addition to fabricating custom tooling to remove the engine mount bolts.

At the end of the day, I rode off with new pegs, a 44 tooth sprocket and a new friend. If you are considering adding highway pegs to your V, I would definately recommend a hard look at Don's solution.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

jruh, Thanks for taking such good care of my V until I bought it from you. It is running strong and gets me to work and back without fail. I love that I now spend $10 a week on gas vs $60+ driving the cage. Soon, it will be more difficult for you to recognize it. I will be adding all kinds of electronic/electrical goodies over the next few weeks.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant View Post
I will be adding all kinds of electronic/electrical goodies over the next few weeks.
I'm interested to see what you do. Please post pictures so we can see.

John
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
form Far East.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 02:22 AM

Howdy neighbor. If you see the Mean Green with tall tinted windshield on North Frwy, it's me!

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM
MTS

The V is the bomb as far as fun factor goes!!!

BTW I don't ride my Shadow 750 any more at all!! Ha! Ha!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode