Hello and Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello and Help

Hi all, I am the proud owner of a new '11 Versys. I really love the bike and have found this forum to be very helpful so I decided to join. I'll post pictures of the bike soon.

I wish I could have joined this forum on a happier note but that just isn't in the cards. This is my first bike and I'm a very new rider. I had to lay my bike down at 0 mph. I made the really foolish mistake of pulling over parallel into a driveway with a steep slant. I went to put my foot down and the bike leaned more than I expected. I tried to lean the bike back up but the weight was more than I could handle in that position so I dismounted and laid the bike down as gently as possible.

After catching my breath I lifted the bike back up and inspected the damage. On the bright side, cosmetically, the damage was as minimal as I could have hoped for with only very small scratches. Unfortunately, the gear shift lever did not fare as well. The lever was completely bent in but I was able to pull it out without too much effort. I carefully inspected the bike then I got back on and tested the shifting. Everything seemed OK so I rode the bike back home where I took a second look and realized that the gear shift linkage had also been deformed.

Next day I took it to the shop and they said they had to charge me $16 for the part and $30 for the labor plus taxes. Online the part only costs $10. I'm pretty handy but I've never worked on a bike. Is this something I can fix myself and save some money? What tools would I need to complete this kind of work?

Also, though I don't like to think or even say it, there's a chance that I may have to lay this bike down again. I ordered the crash bars from SW-MOTECH last weekend (still haven't arrived). With those installed would this kind of damage happen again? If not is there any kind of protection I can install to protech the gear shift assembly if the bike goes down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	843.7 KB
ID:	12722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	889.4 KB
ID:	12723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	831.4 KB
ID:	12724  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The threaded rod is reverse thread at one end... You only need a pair of pliers and a 10mm wrench to replace it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have drop my bike on parking during a tour but no damage to the shift lever. I have HB bar on the bike and did the bars protect the bike-not sure.

A lot of us here have drop the bike and some like you on the first day. Its a learning curve. Search the forum and you will find a lot of info on simple repair work and all the tools too.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
sorry about your drop but at least you got that one out of the way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 AM

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM

Hand gaurds and sliders have saved me a few times. The real important stuff is jacket gloves and boots. The bikes easy to fix.
cheers
jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode