Have fallen a few times - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have fallen a few times

First, warm greetings to all.

I'm 65 and in good shape, my wife is 45 and also in very good physical condition.

I rode motos since 16 yo, until around 50yo, all street bikes; Triumph tiger cub, Triumph mod. 21 I think, the 350cc "courier" with the big rear fender, Triumph Tiger, BSA Gold Star (a former flat track bike) Ducati 250, BMW 250 single, BMW R100RT and R100RS and the list goes on...Then I got away from it for 13 years. Two years ago, we became full time RVrs, living in a 34 ft. 5th. wheel pulled by a one ton Dodge dually. I thought a small bike would be nice to have as a second means of transportation and something that I could ride on dirt roads and maybe go fishing or something, so bought an '09 Kawasaki Sherpa new from the show room. Made the mistake of letting Melanie ride it. (something she had always wanted to do and her parents wouldn't let her) Long story short "Honey, you need to get a bike of your own so we can ride together". A couple weeks later, I bought an '07 DRZ 400SM that the owner had converted to off road with larger wheels/tires, in excellent condition. Last Summer, we were in Buffalo, Wy, and rode a lot in the Big Horn Mountains. (Mind you, we're bothe new to "off road" even though I have a lot of years of riding experience) Last March, we arrived in Moab, UT and began to explore the off road ridiing here (unbelieveable). We've fallen a few times, mostly in deep sand. Once on 7 mile rim trail, which is rated a 5 for jeeps, due to a wrong turn on my part....that was on rocks, big ones. No bodily injuries....some minor stuff to my bike...mirror, turn signal, etc. However, our off-road skills have improved a great deal, so it was worth it......Now to my reason for posting:

As we've been doing all this over the past two years, we've felt confined byf the bikes we own. Not enough range (100 miles before hitting reserve) Not very comfortable, not enough speed for safe/comfortable highway travel etc.
So, we've decided to go for bikes with more pavement orientation, but still with a nod toward some mild offroad work, given the proper tires, etc. We're looking hard at the Versys, the Vstrom and the KLR.

We would very much appreciate any help/opinions from those on the forum re: what might be our best choice and why. By the way, our current bikes will be for sale soon, we'll be in the Phoenix area by early October. Anyone interested, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
So, we've decided to go for bikes with more pavement orientation, but still with a nod toward some mild offroad work, given the proper tires, etc. We're looking hard at the Versys, the Vstrom and the KLR.

You have answered your own question and that is a good selection, if you still want to hit a bit harder off road then go for the KLR. I come from mainly off road background and have converted to the dark side and love my road riding. I found after testing the vstrom and versys that the strom was a bit top heavy in my opinion or felt that way to me but the versys is a lot more nimble and give a gixer a good scare on a track as well ( not on the back straights)
Test ride all those bikes if you can.

Cheers

Phil
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Keep doing your research.
For example This month's Popular Mechanics Magazine (The October 2011 issue), has a pretty good side by side comparison article on the: KLR650, V-Strom, and some other bikes. MCN calls the Vstrom a dual sport, calls the Versys a standard. If your going to continue to do thrasher stuff 1st choice is the KLR. You only give up some above the national speed limit high end cruise speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	12627  

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 09-15-2011 at 06:46 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 PM

If you are going more Off-road than pavement than the KLR will suit you, the Versys is not of Off road use, but some people do use them, however I would suggest changes to the tyres first if anything, I for one dropped my Versys on my first attempt off -road (no damage done due to it being actually put down by me on soft mud) They tyre are useless off road as the underbody exhaust.

rgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
First, warm greetings to all.

I'm 65 and in good shape, my wife is 45 and also in very good physical condition.

I rode motos since 16 yo, until around 50yo, all street bikes; Triumph tiger cub, Triumph mod. 21 I think, the 350cc "courier" with the big rear fender, Triumph Tiger, BSA Gold Star (a former flat track bike) Ducati 250, BMW 250 single, BMW R100RT and R100RS and the list goes on...Then I got away from it for 13 years. Two years ago, we became full time RVrs, living in a 34 ft. 5th. wheel pulled by a one ton Dodge dually. I thought a small bike would be nice to have as a second means of transportation and something that I could ride on dirt roads and maybe go fishing or something, so bought an '09 Kawasaki Sherpa new from the show room. Made the mistake of letting Melanie ride it. (something she had always wanted to do and her parents wouldn't let her) Long story short "Honey, you need to get a bike of your own so we can ride together". A couple weeks later, I bought an '07 DRZ 400SM that the owner had converted to off road with larger wheels/tires, in excellent condition. Last Summer, we were in Buffalo, Wy, and rode a lot in the Big Horn Mountains. (Mind you, we're bothe new to "off road" even though I have a lot of years of riding experience) Last March, we arrived in Moab, UT and began to explore the off road ridiing here (unbelieveable). We've fallen a few times, mostly in deep sand. Once on 7 mile rim trail, which is rated a 5 for jeeps, due to a wrong turn on my part....that was on rocks, big ones. No bodily injuries....some minor stuff to my bike...mirror, turn signal, etc. However, our off-road skills have improved a great deal, so it was worth it......Now to my reason for posting:

As we've been doing all this over the past two years, we've felt confined byf the bikes we own. Not enough range (100 miles before hitting reserve) Not very comfortable, not enough speed for safe/comfortable highway travel etc.

We would very much appreciate any help/opinions from those on the forum re: what might be our best choice and why. By the way, our current bikes will be for sale soon, we'll be in the Phoenix area by early October. Anyone interested, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode