moving to miami - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
moving to miami

Been riding my V about a year in Seattle. My 08 red V goes on the truck to Miami tomorrow. Like to hear from S. Fl
riders how you deal with the heat and the incompetent cagers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 AM

I'm from SW FL and born in Miami. I never rode motorcycles down there but I was a cyclist and "incompetent cagers" doesn't quite cut it. There are a lot of ignorant people in those parts, redneck and otherwise, and I dealt with a lot of aggression. Mostly you'll need to ride smart, even smarter than you already do. One day while visiting back in Miami I was in my car making a right-hand turn from a turning lane when someone came across from two lanes to make the turn to cut me off while smacking my bumper. Insurance report? The dude sped off quicker than I could grasp what happened. I-95 in Florida is ranked as the most dangerous road in the U.S. The accident rate is insane.

I don't mean to sound alarmist, just slow down and be aware. As far as the heat goes you'll want to pick up some of the desert rider tricks like wet scarves and whatnot and stay hydrated. Don't let the heat keep you from riding in gear.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Hey Belowreserve,

I got my V this year, and have been enjoying it every day in Raleigh, NC. If i still lived in Miami, (was there for 17 years) I would have never thought of getting a bike down there. It is going to be a cultural shock for you going from one extreme side of the country to another. Good luck, and i do also recommend never riding without gear, even though you don't need to wear a helmet in Florida.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode