New Member in WA - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member in WA

Hi All,

I am a new member, new to motorcycling, and new to the Versys. Bought a 2011 in June and am loving the bike as well as the whole motorcycling thing.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 PM

So welcome to the Verse
I started riding 2 years ago myself........The "V" is my first too; OH and what a way to start!!!
Ain't it Grand.
Be well.
Ride safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

It makes the commute something to look forward to. Being a beginner, I am trying to work out if the whistles and rattles etc are normal. My valves are starting to 'tick' so I'm going to ask the forum's opinion (after the necessary 48hrs).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:46 PM

The high pitch whine while running is likely the fuel pump. Normal and you will get used to it. A high pitch howl while parked in the sun is likely the fuel cap. To find out, just press down on the cap while it is howling in the sun. If it stops, its the cap. The rattles and buzzing is normal to the Versys. Many threads on how to reduce them. My solution is two fold. I wear form fitted ear plugs and this saves my hearing from the constant wind noise and I no longer hear many of the Versys little quirks.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 PM

Garage

I also started riding when I got my '08 Versys. It now represents one reason that I want to keep working at a job that is 100 miles away from home.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I find bike riding a great stress relief in this modern pressure world so all the best with your new toy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Welcome and nice first bike! I have had several over the years and the Versys is best so far. It is a great bike for beginners and experienced alike.

2013 Versys1000
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
The high pitch whine while running is likely the fuel pump. Normal and you will get used to it. A high pitch howl while parked in the sun is likely the fuel cap. To find out, just press down on the cap while it is howling in the sun. If it stops, its the cap. The rattles and buzzing is normal to the Versys. Many threads on how to reduce them. My solution is two fold. I wear form fitted ear plugs and this saves my hearing from the constant wind noise and I no longer hear many of the Versys little quirks.

Thanks for your replies. The 'tick' is what I've always called 'a tappety noise' since I was told a while back (for a car) that it is the tappets, er, tapping. Reading the odd forum here searching for an answer, it seems to be a valve slap (?). People have then replied 'a slappy valve is a happy valve' since it confirms that the valve is closing. It is rev dependent (faster when revs increase), noisier at low revs, and seems to be noisier when the bike has warmed up. I've done 1500miles, it had its 600mile service the dealer. Next service is 7.5k, so it's quite a while away to wait. The opinions seem to be 'it's normal', so I'm sorta ok with it, but just want other people's opinion. Apart from that, the bike is great. Taking it carefully, it seems quite a good first bike. I wanted a cruiser, but sat on many and just didn't like the seating position. Sat on a Versys, not intending to even test ride one and went 'ooooh, this fits'. Read up about it, concluded it was an excellent bike and I was sold.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and all the best to you.

ride safe and ATGATT.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:57 AM

Welcome aboard sir!!! Down in Kirkland.

Kawasaki KLE650 Versys Forum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode