New Member -- Need Help!!! (Canadians, Alaskans, or tire-savvy people especially!) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy New Member -- Need Help!!! (Canadians, Alaskans, or tire-savvy people especially!)

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, but it figures that my first post would be when I'm actually in trouble! Here's the story -- I bought a 2008 Versys earlier this year, decked it out with all the farkles, and am now on my dream trip to the great north. My original plan had been to go to Inuvik in the Arctic Circle, and all was going well -- the bike was running like a dream and the scenery was stunning. Then I looked at my rear tire -- it's a Pirelli MT60 Corsa that I bought new for this trip, and after 1800 or so miles up the Alaska highway starting from Seattle, it looks like it's good for maybe 500 or so more miles -- maybe 1/8 inch of tread, if that. I knew this tire wore quickly, but I was hoping for 4000 miles. As it turns out, that was a huge overestimate. Inuvik is now out of the question, I doubt I can get home to Seattle on this tire, and don't want to break down in the wilderness on the Cassiar highway.

I'm in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. I've called around, and nobody here appears to have the tire, or in fact anything that fits a Versys. So I've come up with a couple of different plans.

Plan 1: Motorcycle Superstore -- they have the tire in stock. They ship to my girlfriend in Seattle, and she ships to me in Whitehorse (or Anchorage or Fairbanks, both of which I can get to, and which may be cheaper). This may take a week and be expensive.

Plan 2: Find a dealer in Fairbanks or Anchorage who has the tire in stock, go there, put it on, ride home.

Plan 3: .....?

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what I might do in this situation? People with knowledge of dealers or sources in Alaska or the Yukon especially. Or if you're in Alaska with a tire you want to sell me, I'm all ears.....

Hopefully my next post will be in happier circumstances! Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, can't help with tyres but hope you enjoy your rides
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 AM

If it were me I'd head to one of the centres you mentioned and buy whatever 160/60 I could find, and forget about trying to match the Pirelli. It's no problem mixing/matching front and rear tires, they don't have to be the same make and model. Good luck.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Happy end -- I was able to find some Distanzias in Anchorage. Not the ideal tire to make it back, but it'll do all right. Now I just have to make it there! Thanks to you all for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode