Just another noob, but thinking of a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just another noob, but thinking of a Versys

Just another noob to this forum, recommended by a Versys owner I know (outdoorvtguy). I am just going to lurk & learn. I know that you folks have already covered all of the questions & concerns I might have... any threads you think I should read for common Versys wisdom, just point.

I purchased last June a 93 Honday Nighthawk 750 after a 20+ year break in riding ... rediscovered my love of riding & thinking of getting a 21st Century bike next year (maybe...but keeping the NH...growing very fond of that bike...it's my new happy place) I am not a super-hardcore-head-down-zoom-rocket-knee-scrapper nor not-happy-unless-covered-mud-adventure rider. Just a commuter-around-town rider with 150-300 mile trips around Vermont & Upstate NY on the weekends to unwind at a very moderate safe pace but hope to do some touring in the near future. Since last June I have only done about 10K miles, so I am not doing huge miles (probably because I live one mile from my office, so I just ride my bicycle) Occasional 2-up riding with me taking the kids to school events, etc... (we don't have a 2d car) I ride until there is ice & snow...on the roads...on the sides of roads, no biggie

Currently, my short list is : BMW F650 GS, Suzuki V-Strom 650, and a Versys. I will most likely purchase a used bike (with two kids in college & another two right behind them, costs must be considered)

I pull my own wheels, wrench the easy stuff, adjust the chain, etc... my only mechanical concerns are the Versys value adjustments & the under-mounted exhaust (similar to the NH but the Versys muffler is exposed to the road directly)

No surprise to you all...I am drawn to the Versys high value at a moderate price balance it seems to provide along with a good supply of after-market goodies to tweak my configuration (hard bags, bash plates, crash bars, etc). My only concern is riding a fair amount of Vermont dirt roads (no trails or logging roads). But I do those roads on my Nighthawk with little worry or too much bother (remember I don't go fast, using only Metzler lasertec sport touring tires) When I hit the paved twisties, interstate or local highways, my NH goes just fine.

It would seem to me that the Versys is a high-value-budget-priced replacement for my standard upright posture, japanese universal standard bike. Sadly, no test rides in the near futures, the local dealer doesn't do it. (while the local BMW & HD do allow test rides...whatever that's cool...it's their business) I would try to hit the Kawasaki demo days...if they had them here in Vermont.

Did I mention? I think the Versys looks pretty cool.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Had a 02 650 cc BMW GS but sold it and got the Versys because the GS had 120,000km on it and was starting to cause $$$, test road a wee strom at the same time I test road my current V, found the strom just a bit top heavy but the V was so nimble and a blast around town or out on highways or in tight twisty country roads, have used my V 4 times on track days and have taken a lot of please passing a gixer on the outside of a corner. The versys in my view in its stock condition is nothing like the GS in the rough but it will handle light stuff okay.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Your short list sounds like a number of folks who "settled" on the V. I absolutely love mine and don't feel like I just settled for her.

You've probably seen this oldie but goodie:

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Greetings, I have similar interest in riding style by the sounds of it, mabey if you can't test ride a versys the person who directed you to this forum outdoorvtguy could let you try his out for a few miles. Good luck on what ever you purchase.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointer to the video review.

Big shoutout & thanks to GlowCat13, El Tig, & Kiwi 41 for the welcome.

I won't be test riding anyone's bike for awhile. Pulled my hamstring riding yesterday (mishap caused by dorkiness) so my left leg is out of commission for a couple of days/weeks. (stuff happens) Gives me time to read & research the V forums & trip reports.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 PM

I'll lead you to this ride report i found, for anyone doubting the V's offroad capabilities + the added bonus of the uber fun factor you get!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584496

Oh also WBW review where relate the V's handling capabilities to a Ducati Multistrada (mind you it's oooooold, but still relavent since bike manufacturers don't make many changes) http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...wasaki-versys/

i'd recommend trying to find a dealer that has a used one, and test riding it...I did and had it in the drive less than a week later!

Cheers!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhFZ View Post
I'll lead you to this ride report i found, for anyone doubting the V's offroad capabilities + the added bonus of the uber fun factor you get!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584496

Oh also WBW review where relate the V's handling capabilities to a Ducati Multistrada (mind you it's oooooold, but still relavent since bike manufacturers don't make many changes) http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...wasaki-versys/

i'd recommend trying to find a dealer that has a used one, and test riding it...I did and had it in the drive less than a week later!

Cheers!
Thanks for the great links! The link to a ADVRider trip report on his V was outstanding.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-21-2011 at 06:53 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:01 AM

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

A good representation of the type of riding I do, nothing knarly or extreme, just getting here & there in Vermont... and a picture of my current bike (pics)

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Thanks Capn K!

Great URL in your sig. I am definitely an ATTGATT rider. Just need to find some hot weather riding pants for next summer, sweat is a small price for safety.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 PM
drn

Careful of that test ride. I rode my brother's a couple times and that was it, I wanted one. Coming off a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, great bike, just not as "fun" as the Versys. The power of the Versys is so useable and the bike is a blast in the twisties. Needless to say, I now have this in my garage. Good luck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0118.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	12347
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Go 4 it...

Low mile used Vs can be pick up at a reasonable price

You won't be sorry

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode