Hello From Oregon! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello From Oregon!

Hello! Just got my Versys and was so happy to find this forum. I have already found answers to several questions I had , and a few I didn't but should have :~).

I also have an 06' GSXR 750, just sold my CBR, and have owned Triumph 900 & BMW R 80 sport touring bikes. I like the idea of the Versys because A), it is light at around 450 and B) I got a screamin' deal. The weight is important as I am 5'9"/135 lbs and if I drop the thing I need to be able to pick it up. BMW GS was attractive but too big, I didn't feel comfortable with all the weight. KLR also seemed too much for my current riding style, which up 'till know has been the twisties and the track.

I am planning a 6k mile trip this September. Any wisdom you have to share regarding parts, upgrades, things to remember, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Taking the bike up the mountain this morning with the group, this is a ride usually reserved for my gixxer. Will try to get a few shots to post.

Thanks!

Last edited by willabegood; 07-31-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know what bikes you previously owned but for me the Versys has one of the best stock seats I have ever sat on. I've done 450 mile days that were 12 hours in the saddle with no more than 10 minute breaks and was only a little sore at the end of the ride. I may send mine to Spencer at www.greatdaytoride.com when the cold weather sets in and I'm travelling on my touring bike. He does a medical grade gel mod to the seat and can shave a little off the seat to make it flatter with a pocket for your tailbone. Definitely the cheapest seat mod out there for those of us that don't live too far from FL.

I thought all year seats are the same but haven't confirmed part numbers on Kawasaki's website.

A 6000 mile trip you might want to get a russell day long seat put on your bike. Many of the iron butt riders swear by those seats. Also highway pegs, a larger windshield, heated grips and/or vest for the mountain passes.

Also, I'm not sure how many miles you have on your bike, or how many miles most people are getting out of the OEM tires, but you may want to consider spooning on some long mileage tires before the trip.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 AM

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Hello from Oregob!

Good Morning TWA!
After a cup of coffee I found what I was looking for in the forum regarding the Versys seat and edited my first post. Thanks so much for the reply! For th trip in September I have new rubber on my list as well as heated gear, bigger pegs, hand guards, the Vario shield and the cowling guard. I can get about 100 miles out of the stock seat before I have to stand up for a bit. I am not used to sitting down though, I'm more accustomed to hovering on the Gixxer. What's interesting about the Versys is that I don't mind not being flat footed at all. I think the weight is distributed in such a way that it's not top heavy like my Triumph was, I dropped that thing all the time.

Thanks again for the reply, it's time to go the sun is comin' up!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 AM

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
would like to visit Oregon one day
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 AM
drn

I am looking to get a versys but, looking for a "screamin deal". How good of a deal did you get??? I am in CA.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Welcome from Eugene, OR. Nice to see more PNW riders on here
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Hello from Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drn View Post
I am looking to get a versys but, looking for a "screamin deal". How good of a deal did you get??? I am in CA.
Hi! I got my Versys from HOBI Kawasaki in Roseburg, Oregon. About 100 miles north of my home town. Look them up and ask for Robert, tell him Sarah told you about the great deal she got and I know he will hook you up. BTW, if you fly up and ride home the motor will be broken in and ready for your first oil change!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! The first ride up the mountain was great, HWY 66 up to Green Springs, cut over to Dead Indian and back down. Cornering is a trip as I want to hang off the bike, the seat is so big I have to remember to scoot forward or I end up all twisted up ...lol. I forgot to get pictures, was having too much fun. Finally hit 480 miles so getting my oil changed tomorrow, yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode