Thinkin' of Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
drn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thinkin' of Versys (Have one now)

I currently ride an '07 FZ6. My brother bought a Versys about a year ago. We went riding and I tried out his Versys. I was quite impressed and am thinking of selling the FZ for a Versys. While the FZ is faster, it needs to be wound up more for the power. Basically I am probably using up to 50-60 hp most of the time and not the 90+ it has. Versys has a little more comfy riding position too. We are going moto camping this weekend (far northern CA)and i will try the Versys out some more & decide. Been prowling around here and i am impressed with this forum.

Last edited by drn; 08-14-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Don't feel bad! First ride sold me.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Let us know what you decide. We're pretty biased for obvious reasons.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sign_guy View Post
Don't feel bad! First ride sold me.
Ditto.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
drn

For sure I will post what I decide. Been searching for used ones in my area. Not to many for sale. I think that is a good thing, meaning people like the bike. I would prder to buy a used 2010 or 2011 but, the few used 2009's I've seen can be priced close to a new one if I find the right dealer.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
&

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 AM

Nice Brother!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 AM

I dont think you will ever look back with regret if you swap the FZ6 for a Versys.

Im fortunate to have an understanding wife, so I have 3 bikes in the garage. A Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird, a Versys, and a Suzuki DRZ400. Until recently, I also had a Honder CBR954RR Fireblade.

Since adding the Versys to the stable a week or so ago (my wife has had hers for about 6 months) I have retired the Blackbird. I just dont ever see myself riding it again in the near future as the Versys does everything I want. Sure, I miss the 170 horsepower when I need to overtake 6 or more cars at once on a single lane road, but the Versys offers so much more satisfaction that I dont ever find myself in that situation. Mainly due to the fact that Im usually on the road less travelled...which is what I bought the Versys for. So, the mighty Blackbird is now parked and locked away.

But, the Versys holds its own in the mountain twistys as well. I recently went on a group ride with 6 or 7 other bikes. 3 of them were Honda Fireblades, and I was able to keep up with them through the twistys. The best bit for me was, that at the end of the 400km ride, I was willing, keen and able to do another 400km whereas the Fireblade riders all had sore backsides, shoulders, necks, etc.

I simply cant give the Versys enough praise. Oh, and that little parallel twin sounds AWESOME with an aftermarket pipe

Motorcycles...the only true freedom man has left.

Last edited by Oz-Gun; 07-28-2011 at 02:56 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
drn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Gun View Post
I dont think you will ever look back with regret if you swap the FZ6 for a Versys.

Im fortunate to have an understanding wife, so I have 3 bikes in the garage. A Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird, a Versys, and a Suzuki DRZ400. Until recently, I also had a Honder CBR954RR Fireblade.

Since adding the Versys to the stable a week or so ago (my wife has had hers for about 6 months) I have retired the Blackbird. I just dont ever see myself riding it again in the near future as the Versys does everything I want. Sure, I miss the 170 horsepower when I need to overtake 6 or more cars at once on a single lane road, but the Versys offers so much more satisfaction that I dont ever find myself in that situation. Mainly due to the fact that Im usually on the road less travelled...which is what I bought the Versys for. So, the mighty Blackbird is now parked and locked away.
But, the Versys holds its own in the mountain twistys as well. I recently went on a group ride with 6 or 7 other bikes. 3 of them were Honda Fireblades, and I was able to keep up with them through the twistys. The best bit for me was, that at the end of the 400km ride, I was willing, keen and able to do another 400km whereas the Fireblade riders all had sore backsides, shoulders, necks, etc.

I simply cant give the Versys enough praise. Oh, and that little parallel twin sounds AWESOME with an aftermarket pipe

Great info,thanks. Made me go into the dealer my bro got his Versys from. They have a 2011 that's been there since November. My best OTD offer was $6900 (with the $300 Kawasaki rebate applied). Said he couldn't do it. I thanked him and left. I see another memeber got his 2011 for $6500 OTD (cash) with some kind of incentive so, I figued it would work. My FZ is still a great bike. Will ride my brother's this weekend and may try to find a used 2010 or 2011 someday.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 AM

I went from this....

to this....

I brought a Gen1 Versys home for a friend (250 mile ride) and it was that ride that convinced me to change. As powerful as the 1000 was, the Versys has the 'fun factor' that was lacking in the Yamaha. The only thing that needed improving was the brakes which has been easily done by fitting a set of HEL brake lines. I really have no regrets and am simply enjoying my riding more now.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 AM

Im looking to move from my 09 FZ6R to a 10-11 Versys also. Haven't been able to ride one, but following this forum and looking back on my previous bikes the most fun ones all have a couple things in common, dual sport upright seating position, with the most fun being a 650 thumper. Been trying to work a deal with 2 local dealers, but so far one is at $9000 the other is $9100(US not Can) out the door! So I love to find one for $6500 OTD. The norm around here seems to be sticker or just a few bucks under plus setup, ship, fee's, etc.

Last edited by tnd2; 07-29-2011 at 07:44 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
drn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnd2 View Post
Im looking to move from my 09 FZ6R to a 10-11 Versys also. Haven't been able to ride one, but following this forum and looking back on my previous bikes the most fun ones all have a couple things in common, dual sport upright seating position, with the most fun being a 650 thumper. Been trying to work a deal with 2 local dealers, but so far one is at $9000 the other is $9100(US not Can) out the door! So I love to find one for $6500 OTD. The norm around here seems to be sticker or just a few bucks under plus setup, ship, fee's, etc.
Well I'm in CA so, it's got to be a CA model to register it here. Check on ebay. Great deals back east sometimes.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Here in Utah you can find 2009s for $5800 out the door.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM

I"m in.

Just bought an '11 yesterday. Pick it up Tuesday. I'm looking forward to having a little more punch. Selling a 07 KLR with 20k miles that has served me well.

It takes an hour on highways to get anywhere out of Seattle so the more street worthy steed is going to be nice.

Lipstickpig (my KLR name.) I need a new name. My wife thinks Merlot.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstickpig View Post
Lipstickpig (my KLR name.) I need a new name. My wife thinks Merlot.

If you use that name...people might think you are a winer...
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
drn

Well, I got a 2011 Versys yesterday. Rode my bros on the trip and liked it. Just more fun than the FZ6 to ride for me. A little better riding position too. The power of the Versys is so useable. I tried a pic, if it turns out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0118.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	12240  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Join the party, it's not a motorcycle, it's an obsession.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 AM

Congrats.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Just don't expect that one to be as fast as the Green one you rode (I am his brother). Just kiddin'
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM

I love my 2011 Versys. I just wish I could have gotten it in that sexy orange the canadians got in 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode