New Idaho Versys Owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Idaho Versys Owner

I picked up a new 08 Red Versys from Rexburg Motorsports a week past Thursday. My maiden trip on the Versys was a 300 mile jaunt down to Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah, while I was there I took the bike on the track for a few laps. While the Versys isn't a great track bike it was nice to be able to push the bike in the corners giving me more confidence in the bikes handling. The ride home from the track was fantastic with a good mix of freeway and winding backroads.

The second trip (last Tuesday) was a local 100 mile ride on winding mountain roads. By this time I was really starting to enjoy the Versys and become comfortable on it. Then disaster struck, on the way home from the 100 mile ride I stupidally let a friend ride the bike. He preceded to lay it over causing considerable damage to himself and the bike. Unfortunately I only had Liability Insurance on the bike and my ex-friend doesnt want to pay for the bike. Its a big mess.

The bike broke a case on the left side, and had a lot of rash on the right side (footpeg, fairing, bar-end, mirror etc). Im pretty bummed about the whole thing as the bike only had 700 miles on it when it went down. I have ordered the minimum amount of Kawi parts needed to get the bike back on the road and am waiting to order the rest of the parts until we figure out who is paying for it.

Its a pretty sad story but hopefully the bike will be back on the road again soon. Its a great bike and Im really missing it.

Here are some pre-accident pics of the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Unhappy Great Friend?

What a great friend you have!!!
A stranger would probably be more responsible!
I hope you learned a lesson from this unfortunate adventure!

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have learned my lesson for sure. In the future nobody is riding my bikes.
Im trying to stay positive and tell myself that the incident is a good excuse to get some aftermarket parts for the bike but its tough. A new Leo Vince pipe is on the way though

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Sorry to hear about that as it is bad enough if you damage your own bike without someone else doing it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 PM

I wouldn't allow a person who has limited bike (big bike) experience ride my V, unless they pay me a USD$2000 deposit

Sorry to hear abt the mishap and what a friend you have there! All the best in your plans to fix up the bike and make it unique.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Its a bad deal for sure but Im hoping I will be able to get some money out of the owner.
The first batch of Kawi parts arrived today so Im excited to get them installed and get the bike back on the road again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Rest and all will heal. Talk to your friend and hope he is OK.

Trust you will be back soon on the V.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Fastoman
My friend is going to be ok, just banged up a bit.

I started putting the bike back together lastnight.

Unfortunately the brackets on the frame that hold the radiator and rearsets were bent. I straightened them out best I could and painted the spots where the metal flaked off.
Im not super impressed with how flimsy the frame brackets are on the V but I guess it is what you get with a steel framed bike. My GSXR race bike is a lot easier to repair as it has a burly aluminum frame with bolt on brackets, so when it goes down you can replace the brackets that bend and the frame is still fine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Finally got the bike back together and took it for its first post accident ride lastnight. It performed very well, I sure love riding this motorcycle.

During the rebuild I installed the following aftermarket parts

Leo Vince SBK OVAL EVO II Aluminium Exhaust - Simple installation, beautiful Italian craftsmanship and with the quiet insert the bike has a nice purr but not too loud to be annoying

FLY Racing Banshee ATV Handlebars - The bars have a similar rise to the stock bar but with a bit more sweep and slightly wider. They are comfortable and provide a nice riding position that is very similar to stock. I had planned on removing the crossbar but unfortunately the bars came with clamps glued to the bar so when I tried to remove the clamp the anodizing underneath was coming off. I just left the crossbar on, it looks fine and is stronger anyway.

Next on the list of upgrades is SS brakelines, luggage and a windshield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode