Talk me into it! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talk me into it!

Hi everybody. I just joined the forum because I'm looking for a new bike. My FJR1300 is for sale and the V65 Magna is gonna be right behind it. My riding has changed over the years to the point I don't tour much any more and am looking for something that's just plain fun to ride about town and a few country roads. And I don't want to have to pass up an interesting looking gravel road either like I would with the FJR. I've been looking at the Versys, SV650, DL650. and Gladius. Simple maintenance would also be nice. I'm 45, six foot, 195 pounds. The Versys is at the top of my list. So everybody, which way should I go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Missed the best one for your type of riding. Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, if you can even get one.

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:07 AM

My riding has changed much like yours has. I've gone from a BMW 12GS to a VFR to a Fazer 1000 in the last 20 months and now with the Versys. I no longer need a large capacity bike to lug a pillion as I ride solo these days. I don't carry much luggage and if it doesn't fit in a topbox or fit on the rear seat, I don't need it. I don't need the big horsepower or top speeds anymore and find the Versys fast enough for all occasions so far. I can still do gentle off roading, tho' in all honesty, the Versys isn't really a dual purpose bike like the Tiger 800 or F800GS. But fire trails are fine and I know there are many who are more hardcore at off roading, but again, I'm happy with the limitations I put on myself.

But the best thing I've found with the Versys is the fun factor. I've got my mojo back and I'm having more fun on this bike than many others I've owned over the many years I've been riding. The best bike I've ever owned was my 12GS, and the Versys is just as good as the big BM was, but without the reliability worries or the weight. It's more flickable, more economical, just as comfortable and right now, there's nothing I'd rather have which for me is quite something as I've usually always been thinking about 'the next big thing'.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Dav

We're around the same size and age...I've had my V since they landed in Oz in 07 and it's still a keeper...once in a while I get tempted (ktm duke, f800r, dorsoduro, the new husky nudo etc) but the V continues to tick all the boxes. And with scheduled valve clearance checks at 42K kms (though I'll do it earlier for peace of mind) it is cheap to maintain. Plus there's a few things you can do to make it truly yours, whether going the dual sport, touring or motard/urban assault route (for example). Go for it
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:59 AM

The test ride sold me.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct73 View Post
I don't want to have to pass up an interesting looking gravel road either
Sadly, roads like this can be difficult on a stock Versys. (in my opinion)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Everyone's needs vary.....and of-course here you'll find nothing but 'Versys" fans!
Not exactly unbiased opinions.

That being said, I have no desire to go down gravel roads (though many have done extensive mods so they can do just that) and the "V" was never intended (IMHO) to do said same.
Versatile System? ...Think public roads and track days...IMHO!
..and that's versatile enough for me.

Perhaps the KLR-650 would better serve your needs...It's build to do the off road thing, water-cooled, big front wheel, lighter, tons of touring accesories/luggage options.....and it would keep you in the same price point too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 07-10-2011 at 01:22 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

I'm feeling the same way as Davy F. I've had my share of fast bikes, (I personally ran a 10.69 1/4 mile at 129.8 mph on my old FZ1) and am looking to slow down and just have fun. I've ridden a KLR and don't think I'm ready to slow down THAT much Besides, 99% of time I'll be on the street. Everybody keeps mentioning the fun factor. That's what I want! Forget the high speeds that make you see god. I'm too old for that. I found a new 2009 Versys at a local dealer for $4999. I think I'll take a ride up there Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:13 PM

Sounds like you've got a very nice price there. I hope you plan to buy an ABS-fitted though. It is definitely worth every cent.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
Sounds like you've got a very nice price there. I hope you plan to buy an ABS-fitted though. It is definitely worth every cent.
No ABS available on the versys here in the states

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I've been looking at the Versys, SV650, DL650. and Gladius. Simple maintenance would also be nice. I'm 45, six foot, 195 pounds. The Versys is at the top of my list. So everybody, which way should I go?
I've been riding the wifes versys more lately and i just CAN'T get to like the bike. I only ride it so she can ride my DL650. The versys vibrates too much for me, my rear gets tickled at about 45 - 55 mph. can't see anything in the mirrors, and the buffeting is not very fun. My DL 650 can go where the versys goes, I have an adjusible shield, same luggage and gas ileage. IMO the DL650 is better for riding, Versys needs some help. DL650 has many aftermarket farkles, Versys not so. Sorry V

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

I rode a DL650 last week. It was a smooth ride, good handling, but it just felt bulky to me. I'm going to get a ride on a Versys tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
keep posted.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I rode a DL650 last week. It was a smooth ride, good handling, but it just felt bulky to me. I'm going to get a ride on a Versys tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
YES the DL650 feels bulky, and somehow I like that. It gives me a feeling of security in a way. The Vesrsy has a more Flimsy / tinny feel to me. Cornering is more comfortable on the DL, for some odd reason I don't feel safe when cornering on the V. My wife says the 650 feels like it corners by itself as,

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM

My last bike right before the Versys was a Wee Strom but I sold it in less than a year as it just didn't have the fun factor to me. Personally it would be great on highway trips or 2-up riding but around town and day trips it felt big and bulky and heavy. I much prefer the Versys for my type of riding, far more agile and responsive. I've put twice as many mile on in 4 months than almost a year with Vstrom.....Just my opinion from having had both.

2013 Versys1000
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Been riding BM bikes for more than 20 years but just love the V.
However would be best if able to test those bikes you fancy. That way you won't as yourself "What If?"

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Been riding BM bikes for more than 20 years but just love the V.
However would be best if able to test those bikes you fancy. That way you won't as yourself "What If?"

As a former BM GS rider, I have to agree. Plus, I'm lucky enough to be able to generally get a demo on pretty much anything I fancy. I've had the Tiger 800XC, Tiger 1050, Ducati MultiStrada, KTM 990 Adventure, KTM SMT to name a few out recently. And I ended up with the Versys. I guess a possible replacement in a few years might be the Tiger 800, but then again, there might be something else come along that takes my fancy. I will be taking a Honda CrossRunner out soon and definately the Cross Tourer 1200 when it gets released.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Maybe next year

My wife talked me out of selling the FJR1300. I guess she's right. It's a fantastic bike in like new condition. Besides, I just spooned on a new set of tires. I rode a Versys last week and it was almost just as I expected. Loads of fun! I'm going to get one some day, but probably not this year any more.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Test ride sold me also. Now if I can just keep from unloading the front suspension when I take off from a stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode