contemplating the versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
contemplating the versys

Hello from Ga., I'm currectly a Honda 1300 vtx owner and have been for several years but I'm thinking seriously about the sporty versys, just not sure yet...I'll be looking on this site for much need advice and info...I like the cruiser style but I want that crisp response from a bike like the versys, seems it would be more fun and enjoyable, not that the vtx it's fun and all...

So thanks in advance for any encouragement and advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. You know your gonna get the biased response but everybody here loves the Versys. I came from the sportbike scene personally and found the Versys gives me everything I want in handling with power I can actually use on the road. The Versys is a really great all arounder, jack of all trades kinda bike. Most people get one and make a few modifications to fit it to their particular style. Good luck

Mike
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Was riding this:

And now ride this:

No regrets.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Welcome aboard!

Go find a test ride, either from a dealer or an owner. Then you'll have a LOT better idea whether it's the bike for you or not.

Not all 'big-bike' owners like them. The inmates here like them for one reason or another, or for many reasons, but a lot of them get resold as well...for one reason or another.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys...I've got a friend that has a DR650 dual sport, I know it's not the same power and stuff but maybe it will give me an idea of the riding position and all of that, so I'm going to try that first for sure...kawasaki had the demo rides here in the atlanta area about a month ago but the wait time was way to long so we left...

I do a good bit of interstate riding to work so I'm concerned about the over all ride and fill of the bike, I'll be 55 this year so my bones and muscles don't recover as fast for sure...Shoulder position and leg position are a big concern I have...The versys seems to be a more up right riding position so that is good, just don't know about my knees being in the bent / tuck position for very long but we'll see...I just like the thought of being able to take this bike and sling it around some twisties...I can still do that at my age and love it ...

Thanks again...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s102000 View Post
Thanks for the replys...I've got a friend that has a DR650 dual sport, I know it's not the same power and stuff but maybe it will give me an idea of the riding position and all of that, so I'm going to try that first for sure...kawasaki had the demo rides here in the atlanta area about a month ago but the wait time was way to long so we left...

I do a good bit of interstate riding to work so I'm concerned about the over all ride and fill of the bike, I'll be 55 this year so my bones and muscles don't recover as fast for sure...Shoulder position and leg position are a big concern I have...The versys seems to be a more up right riding position so that is good, just don't know about my knees being in the bent / tuck position for very long but we'll see...I just like the thought of being able to take this bike and sling it around some twisties...I can still do that at my age and love it ...

Thanks again...
Nope, a DR650 is nothing like it, not even close.
I'm 54 this year, 5-10, 175. Bike fits perfectly with peg lowering kit from speedys.
The bike feels very light and agile, and are known to be easy to ride. Suspension is fine in soft mode, crank preload and damping for a passenger or cargo, or slightly firmer for canyon carving.
Find an owner in your area and ride one, not another brand and style of bike to compare. The versys is a street bike, a DR is a heavy dualsport. If you were looking for a KLR then maybe that would be more comparable.
If your inseam is under 30" you may want a lower seat or lowering kit. Otherwise it's fine. Shoulder position and seating is a non-issue. The stock seat needs to be re-worked to sit more comfortably, it slopes a bit into the tank and will drive you into it over a ride, plus it's not contoured to your butt so it sits hard.
These are all easy fixes to make the bike fit personally. Unless you are extremely aggressive or ride 2-up a lot you'll probably like the bike.
In your first post I pictured you an aggressive 35 year old that tours. That's why I said Tiger.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Fun and enjoyable in spades. The only downfall for me was throwing my leg over the seat the first few times. If you're not 'outta shape like I was at 50
your being 55 shouldn't be an issue. You'll get "over" it like I did.

Just be aware she'll wheelie with too much throttle whether your in a corner or not in first and second.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 PM

I'm 53 and the Versys is great for me. I wanted it for the riding position mostly but it has turned out to be the most fun bike I have owned so far. I'm 6'1" and still able to get my leg over with a small tail bag on the passenger seat, so far so good. When I get to the point I can't get my leg over, I'll buy a cruiser. LOL

2013 Versys1000
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Nope, a DR650 is nothing like it, not even close.
I'm 54 this year, 5-10, 175. Bike fits perfectly with peg lowering kit from speedys.
The bike feels very light and agile, and are known to be easy to ride. Suspension is fine in soft mode, crank preload and damping for a passenger or cargo, or slightly firmer for canyon carving.
Find an owner in your area and ride one, not another brand and style of bike to compare. The versys is a street bike, a DR is a heavy dualsport. If you were looking for a KLR then maybe that would be more comparable.
If your inseam is under 30" you may want a lower seat or lowering kit. Otherwise it's fine. Shoulder position and seating is a non-issue. The stock seat needs to be re-worked to sit more comfortably, it slopes a bit into the tank and will drive you into it over a ride, plus it's not contoured to your butt so it sits hard.
These are all easy fixes to make the bike fit personally. Unless you are extremely aggressive or ride 2-up a lot you'll probably like the bike.
In your first post I pictured you an aggressive 35 year old that tours. That's why I said Tiger.
Good post CJ and the rest, we're close in high and weight, I'll try and find a versys I can test...I'm not over aggressive but I do like speed but I love my family more so I have to keep that in check, I have a 5 year old grandson I need to grow old with...I rode a sport bike a couple of years ago and I can see way it is hard to keep from twisting the throttle, way to much fun...

Thanks David...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM

Talking welcome from colorado!

I gave up my 08 zx6r for the V...I looked at the V for like a year.I raced motorcross when i was younger for 10 years...ive been on alot of other bikes to..dirt and street...I didnt even know about this forum until I got my V...I was lookin for somthing I could go from street to dirt quick if i wanted to...somthing my wife could be comfortable on for more than 20 minutes..and somthing that was still fun to ride when i was solo...I just had a GUT feeling it was the V...I didnt even test ride it!...And guess what !!!ITS BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BE......good luck...oh ya..im 40!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

contemplating the versys *update*

Ok I got to ride my friends vstrom 650 yesterday, and if the versys is as smooth as the vstrom I'm sold on it...So my question to you guys, is the versys that smooth? Let me know if anyone has rode the vstrom to give me a comparison..Is the versys's parrallel twin as smooth as the vstrom's vtwin engine?

He also has a dr650 which as CJ had mention there is no comparison which is way true, the dr would not be a good commuter bike for me..

Thanks again David..

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s102000 View Post
So my question to you guys, is the versys that smooth? Let me know if anyone has rode the vstrom to give me a comparison..Is the versys's parrallel twin as smooth as the vstrom's vtwin engine?
You really owe it to yourself to ride a Versys and make that determination for your self. I would not buy a MC on the opinions of a forum member. Don't get me wrong, take the opinions but the bike only has to impress you! My test ride of the Versys sold itself. I did not try the Strom due to the huge physical size of the 650.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
You really owe it to yourself to ride a Versys and make that determination for your self. I would not buy a MC on the opinions of a forum member. Don't get me wrong, take the opinions but the bike only has to impress you! My test ride of the Versys sold itself. I did not try the Strom due to the huge physical size of the 650.
thanks for the reply, problem is i can't fine a test ride, still looking though...

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode