Oh my god oh my god, I finally got a motorcycle! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking Oh my god oh my god, I finally got a motorcycle!

OH MY GOD!!! I'm a little excited. I just bought a brand new 2008 Versys and it's my first motorcycle. Not only that, this is the first time I've ever joined any type of forum or chat type thing..wow, I'm sure it's hard to tell.

I'm taking the MSF safety course this weekend and I can't wait. I've got all my gear and now just chomping at the bit since I have this gorgeous new bike just a few feet from me and I can't get on it, well don't want to...shouldn't until I take the course and get my license. Trying to do all this by the book even though I bought a bike before learning how to ride it, but I'd say I have a better chance of winning the lottery than taking the course and saying "nahhh, not for me".

I may have mentioned this but there's a brand new 2008 Versys sitting outside right now. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I've also accepted that's just not going to happen. This is going to be the longest week since last week.

Thank you all by the way. I did a ridiculous amount of research before picking this bike including reading the posts here. Good stuff, lotsa good stuff, thank you. Ok, I'm gonna go stare at my bike again.

Christian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 PM

Christian,

Wow, welcome to the forum and welcome to the addiction!

Take the MSF class, and take it with an open mind. Be a sponge and soak it all in and then practice, practice, practice.....take lots of rides and focus on what you'll learn. Oh, and "All the Gear, All the Time"! Resist the urge to just run down to the store without the gear.........I won't preach about that any more.

Find some friends that ride and ask them questions as they come to you. If you do something that makes you nervous when you ride, think about what you did wrong and go practice the right way some more.

They will tell you at the end of the MSF class that "You are now qualified to ride in parking lots." Kinda funny, but also true.

I'd have to say that I'm proud of you for not purchasing a 1200cc or larger cruiser for your first bike. Riding is about FUN, and you now own a FUN bike.

I have a couple of Keith Code "Twist the Wrist" training videos that I'll share with you in a couple of months or so, just shoot me a PM (private message) when you think you are ready for some different knowledge.

Congrats and have fun..........You'll love it!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Christian and you will have a blast, good people here to.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Enjoy your new bike. sounds like you are doing the right things. You have yourself geared up, but just maybe you want to gear up the bike also. Statistically speaking most people drop their first bike. A set of case guards and hand guards can save you a lot of heartache when that happens.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 AM

Sounds just like me 3 months ago
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 AM

Hey Christian, welcome aboard. I LOVE your enthusiasm! Be sure to come back & tell us about your first ride!

BTW, You might want to wear your helmet while youíre sitting on it in the garage... just in case you fall off it in the middle of the night while youíre asleep

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM

Talking welcome from colorado!

Man ,you got it bad!!!!...you really do belong here..lol.Welcome to us!...I think you will remind some of us just how awesome the V really is.and how much fun riding really is!!!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. I've already got my parking lots picked out zgfiredude, and I can't hear enough how important gear on all the time is. I've been watching the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD and reading the "Proficient Motorcyle" book or whatever it's called almost every day.

So yes holykaw1, I got it bad. My OCD is in the red. Thankfully I have a very busy job that keeps me focused during the day...I mean except for right now since I'm at work now. Yeah I better go.

I'll be getting back in touch after I finish the course and get my license. I think the biggest hurdle is going to be finishing the course on Sunday and trying not to lose my mind because the DMV will be closed on Monday. THANKS A LOT INDEPENDENCE DAY! I mean happy birthday america.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Hey Christian, welcome to the forum. I live 30 minutes from you in Herndon and work in Tyson's Corner. After you get situated if your looking for some good places to ride let me know. I can take you on a tour of some of the more isolated roads between here and West Virginia, there's some beautiful riding in this region. Also, soak up every bit of information you can and be careful out there. Riding in the D.C. metro area presents serious daily risk, second worst traffic in the nation and it gets pretty crazy out there every day.

Mike
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM

-
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM

Welcome to the zoo, it looks like you will fit right in. Well, it actually looks like your enthusiasm will drag all of us a few energy levels higher.

Look where you want to go.

Good luck with the MSF course, I'm really happy you are already sold on the practice and the "wear your gear" part. Look where you want to go. Don't forget ear plugs too, they actually allow you to hear more because you don't numb your hearing with the wind noise. Oh, and they prevent slowly losing your hearing through life.
Look where you want to go.

One thing I'd like to suggest you consciously practice, so it becomes a habit even in stressful situations: Look where you want to go. (did you sense the subliminal messages that I sent?)
You can learn to ride rather well without doing this, but not doing it and target-fixating instead (the biologically hardwired reaction) during an emergency situation will get you into trouble really quickly.
Target-fixation on where the problem is (obstacle, edge of the road) and not actively looking where you want to go is the error that I observe to create the biggest problems in new riders. Including myself: Years ago I went off the road in a turn at 15 mph by target-fixating on what I feared (outside of the turn) and braking in stead of looking where I wanted to go (the continuing ribbon of tarmac) and lean-it-like-you-mean-it.

Crud, I didn't mean to sound like a preacher pounding on the new guy. Sorry.

Keep grinning (won't be hard) and have fun riding!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

That sounds great Mike. I live in Falls Church and work in Ashburn so we probably pass each other coming and going. I will definitely appreciate the good spots around here for riding AND YES, people are absolutely nuts around here behind the wheel of a car. I've lived in this area my whole life and the traffic gets worse every year.

Well, I will say it has instilled in me a very defensive mind set when getting on the road so hopefully that will pay off when I start practicing.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Pretbek, you don't sound like a preacher at all. I love getting as much information as I can so I really appreciate it. I keep hearing and reading about "look where you want to go" so it's obviously very important. I'll probably write it down and just start sticking copies of it every where I look to pound it in my head.

I hadn't heard that about the earplugs. I figured the part about preserving my hearing but not the part about hearing more by drowning out the wind noise. Thanks for the tips.

Oh my god, I'm turning into that person I said I would never be. I've never been into anything like Facebook or anything like that and thought it was nuts that people did it at work. Just too damn excited
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM

sniff, sniff, ahhhh, I just love the smell of new paint.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM

tallchristian, first let me say welcome, you have found the best forum for owning a Versys and learning all about it. Secondly, I will be 70 in Nov and I still love getting on that bike, heck some nights I can't sleep anticipating the ride next morning. I have owned and ridden bikes since 1969-70 and after all those other bikes and years of riding the Versys is by far the most fun and easiest bike to ride I've ever had. You made a great choice.
Nick
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM
MTS

Wow you got alot welcomes! It pays to be ocd ha ha! and !! You should get a Mullet most of us on this site have Mullets! They are back in style! le!!

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 PM

Now you have your new bike and joined a forum for the first time, it's time for the next most popular thing to do on bike forums........................POST PICS OF THE BIKE!!!

Oh, welcome to the forums and biking

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM

hey Christian i am right there with you! I went out and bought the 2011 Versys red/black and i love it ! This is my first bike and was deciding between this and a cruiser and I am glad I took the Versys. I am in New Brunswick Canada and the summers are short here so we have to ride when we can....have over 3000km on mine already this year.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallchristian View Post
I just bought a brand new 2008 Versys

Christian
Christian,

COngrats on the bike. I am considering purchasing a Versys as my first motorcycle also. I have been reading the forums for a few weeks and just joined up myself. I see you bought a brand new 08. Do you know if it is common to find New Old stock of motorcycles? Here is Albuquerque we have three brand new 09's at the 2 dealers I have visited. If you don't mind me asking I would like to know how much they charged you for the bike. The 09's here are listed for $5995 which seems a little high to me. I have seen a few 09's on ebay (from dealers) recently that didn't sell for around $4000.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode