New guy here...and currently on the fence - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New guy here...and currently on the fence

Hello from Texas.........no bike yet because I'm still on the fence as to what to get. Looking at the Versys and the Vstrom(650)...probably the same two bikes some of you looked at and pondered over.

I haven't owned a bike for about 18 years, but thought that now would be a good time to get another one. Last bike was an '85' Honda V30 Magna. I was originally in the market back in 2008 when the Versys first came out, but was more serious towards the Vstrom at the time because if its track record. All that came to a halt when I had to replace my truck. Since it is almost paid off, the bike fever hit me again.
I've looked at a lot of reviews concerning both bikes, and how they compare to each other. My decision will probably boil down to whether or not my wife will be my passenger or not. From what I've read, the Vstrom allows for a little more room/comfort for a passenger. Decision also depends on what kind of a deal I can get with either bike.

Anyway, that's my story in a nutshell. Just wanted to say Hi and I'll continue to enjoy lurking here until I make my final decision. If I do go with the Versys , then I'll be sure & let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM

The flickability of the Versys sold me on it. I love it. I don't hear that from strom owners. Lower cost was also a factor. If response, agility, and IMO less-is-more pricing isn't what you're after, maybe go for the strom.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 AM

My last bike was a new 09 Wee Strom which I is a good bike too but I chose it mainly because I wanted to see if my wife would like riding but she didn't feel comfortable at all after one or two rides. Anyways I wasn't riding much as it just didn't have that "wow" factor and I missed the urge to ride. I sold it after a while and bought the '11 Versys and for me it was a huge difference. The V feels much more agile and manoeverable and just more fun ro ride. I have more miles in 4 months than in a year on the Wee.
I think if you are going to do more long highway trips or 2-up riding the Suzuki might be better but for me 1-up, commuting, and the occasional highway run or overnighter, the Versys wins hands down.
I wish now that I had been able to borrow or rent a bike and see if my wife enjoyed it first. It would have saved me a ton of money but at least now I know.
Anyways you can't go wrong wth any motorcycle in my opinion. I was out of it for about 25 years and loving it again!

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
Hello from Texas.........Last bike was an '85' Honda V30 Magna.
Welcome! I loved my Magna...

The Versys chose me when it came to my latest purchase. A test ride sold itself. I usually ride solo or with my 9 year old daughter. The Versys can easily carry another passenger. I have taken a few friends out for a few hours, but not an all day ride.

I can't speak about the Strom as I have never ridden one. I can say that when I sat on the Strom 650 and then hopped on the Versys, there was no question the Versys was for me. I am 5' 8" 155 lbs with 30" inseam. The Strom was HUGE compared to the Versys. Even standing beside the Strom, it felt huge.

on your quest! Whatever you decide, have a blast and be safe!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 PM

After riding from boise to reno and back in a 24hr window (a week after I bought the Vee), I'd personally do a Wee if highway is your thing... For everything else the Vee.

-Ming
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 PM

I've been looking at the Versys and the wee-strom as well but from my readings I believe the Versys is a better handling bike.

I have yet to test drive both but as it stands now the Versys is the front runner for me.

Cheers,
Dan
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 PM

I opted for the Versys because almost all my driving is on pavement. I still occasionally explore a dirt or gravel road on my street tires but I would say 99% of my driving is on pavement.

Versys
- better on pavement handling and more responsive/fun to ride on pavement, stock suspension is firm which is superior on pavement to VStrom but far too unforgiving for long distance travel off road. Comes stock with street tires.

VStrom
- more suited to adventure style touring with softer suspension that can handle a bumpy dirt road more comfortably and larger front wheel and more relaxed steering geometry for more stability on gravel/dirt. Comes stock with multi use tires.

Last edited by Sprocket; 06-24-2011 at 11:56 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
First off, neither bike is considered an off the pavement bike by their manufacturers.

I had thought I wanted a Wee back in '07 when they had it in their dual sport brochure. I was riding a DRZ400S at the time. When I went and looked at the bike and then back at the brochure I realized they only showed the Wee on back roads, while they showed the rest of the dual sports off road.

To me the Wee never looked complete. It had this huge upper fairing that just didn't flow into anything. I ended up buying the Ninja 650R that was sitting beside the Wee and kept the DRZ400S.

The next year when the Versys came out I knew that bike would replace the Ninja one day and when I test rode the 2011 I knew this was the day.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 08:21 AM

Try getting the test ride both the bikes. No mistakes then. Doubts solved and Fun begins. Cheers!

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 AM

I too looked at both.....it came down to this: virtually every post from someone with a Versys used the word "fun" to describe the bike, and few Wee owners did.

I found that curious, and now I understand.

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:17 PM

I considered a wee before buying a V. I prefer the V's agility and appearance.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Welcome aboard!! There are a few of us in and around San Antonio.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 PM

FUN! FUN! FUN! FUN!
But I'm biased.
My last ride was a '81 GS750 with bias-ply tires.
Test ride if you can!
And ride what you get.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If your going to be covering major miles, like day after day for 6-8 hours driving per day get the WeeStrom. If our going to spending much time on dirt roads get the WeeStrom. Otherwise get the Versys. Versys is more responsive and fun to ride with only very slightly less comfort than the WeeStrom.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 PM

I test rode both, and the Versys fit me better. Both are good bikes. Try to get a test ride on both and then choose the one that puts the biggest grin on your face.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 PM

MCN Comparison Test - Versys, VStrom & BMW F650GS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode