New potential Versys owner in Chicagoland - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New potential Versys owner in Chicagoland

Hi all,

About me:

I am 52 years old live in Lombard, IL, a western suburb of Chicago. I have been riding since early teens, starting on dirt bikes and moving to street bikes in my early 20's. I have a lovely wife named Cathy who loves to ride, mostly passenger, but she completed the MSF Beginner course about a year and a half ago. She has ridden a bit on the street but not enough to take any longer rides. Her bike is a 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250. My current bikes are:

2004 FJR1300A
2004 Honda VFR800
1983 Suzuki GS1100ED
1982 Suzuki GS1000SZ (Katana)
1994 KTM 620

My previous street bikes are:
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1995 KTM 620 Super Comp (Supermoto Conversion)
2001 Suzuki GSXR1000
1988 Honda Hurricane 1000F (Hurricane)
1985 Yamaha RZ350
1980 Honda CB750F

My FJR was bought slightly used in late 2004. It has around 40K miles and Cathy and I use it as our two-up sport tourer and go on several long weekend trips a year as well as one longer tour each year. We probably put 7-8k miles on the FJR a year.

The VFR is my one-up sport-tourer and occasional track day bike.

The '83 GS1100 was bought new by me in '83 and is a very nice example of an '80's superbike.

The '82 Katana is a dream bike I've always wanted and that dream came true two years ago thanks to a friend in Atlanta. It is 99% original and is in fantastic condition. It is a keeper but also a rider, although I do my best to keep it out of the rain.

The '94 KTM is a combo Supermoto and dual-sport. It is (barely) street legal so I can ride it on streets. It is a blast in either form and tends to bring out the hooligan in whoever rides it.

I do most of my own work and own a No-Mar tire changer along with a nice lift. I'm not a mechanic but can muddle my way through most tasks. I own factory service manuals for all my bikes and try to keep decent maintenance records.

Cathy and I ride fairly aggressively on the street, occasional peg scraping but adhering mostly to 'The Pace' philosophy of street riding. I get my speed and real aggressive kicks by doing a track day or two each year.

We are both dog lovers (me more than her) and have two rescue dogs, allegedly Beagle/Pug mixes named Koa and Norton. We both love hockey ( I played men's leagues for about 25 years) and are very proud of the Chicago Blackhawks for FINALLY winning the Stanley Cup last year.

That's it for now. I look forward to getting to know the folks around here, learning, helping out when I can, and having a lot of fun.....

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Why am I here?

So, now for the reason I'm here. I just returned from a week-long trip to Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina riding my VFR800. The trip was over 2k miles, the longest trip I have taken on the VFR. While the VFR is an outstanding all-around bike, it became readily apparent that the seat-to-peg distance is too tight for my wonky old knees. So I pondered what bike I might like to try next as my one-up sport tourer. I have always liked standard seating position bikes and have also always liked the Versys. I have never ridden one but have sat on several and have read many reviews and it seems like a great bike for me.

I have found a couple in my area that I may look into but wanted to ask some of the experts here if there are any things I should look out for when checking the bikes out. I don't remember ever hearing about any common problems but you folks would know best. Are there any model year bikes I should stay away from? Are there any mods that people tend to do which screw the bike up? Are there any mods that should definitely be done on any Versys? Is there anything else I should be aware of in regard to these bikes?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. Hopefully I'll be a Versys owner and real member of this forum soon.

Joe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage

One question is how tall are you. I'm 6'2" and the first thing i did comfort wise was Speedys peg lowering blocks and mirror extenders. Then went with a baldwin saddle. then all the rest of the stuff was for....well don't really have an answer for that. Had an 83 GS1100L brand new at the age of 18 man i miss that bike.

Speedys website..http://motowerk.com/default.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 PM

Loved looking at your pics - and then I saw your '82 Katana - and then I cried! Have always wanted one of those. I was in Jr. High when that bike came out. I was sitting in the library in school looking reading a motorcycle mag that did a review on it. Not sure which mag is was, but I remember looking at the pictures and drooling over the Katana. It was so much different than anything I had ever seen. I loved it then, and I still love it now! Nice collection you have. Let the good times roll....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:57 AM

Welcome Joe. You have a very nice collection. Like you I prefer the standard riding position. I'm 57, 6-1 with a 34 inseam. My knees are tore up but for me the Versys is a comfortable ride. I added Speedy's peg lowering blocks and that made the ride perfect. Since I bought the Versys my BMW R1150RS just sits in the garage. The only reason I hang onto the BMW is for the occasional 2-up ride with the wife. Other than that the Versys satisfies all my riding needs.

The Versys mirrors tend to loosen and rotate but are easily replaced. Some folks have problems with buzzing from the fairing. Usually easily fixed with a little foam or tape. If you're going to spend a lot of time at highway speeds you might consider a 44t rear sprocket. Overall these bikes are very reliable. A well maintained Versys will go many miles.

Cliff
FPD Ret, USN Ret.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

I am just under 6 feet tall with a 32" inseam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

One question is how tall are you. I'm 6'2" and the first thing i did comfort wise was Speedys peg lowering blocks and mirror extenders. Then went with a baldwin saddle. then all the rest of the stuff was for....well don't really have an answer for that. Had an 83 GS1100L brand new at the age of 18 man i miss that bike.

Speedys website..http://motowerk.com/default.aspx
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Can someone please contact mplanman and ask him/her to contact me? I might be interested in the '09 they're selling but can't contact him/her myself or reply to the sale thread since I'm new to the forum.

Thanks,
Joe
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Nardy View Post
Can someone please contact mplanman and ask him/her to contact me? I might be interested in the '09 they're selling but can't contact him/her myself or reply to the sale thread since I'm new to the forum.

Thanks,
Joe
I sent him a PM for you.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I sent him a PM for you.
Thank you kind sir!

Joe
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Nardy View Post
Thank you kind sir!

Joe

Anytime..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode