New member in W. MI, No Versys yet - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member in W. MI, No Versys yet

Hi, I'm manofthefield from Grand Rapids, Michigan. I currently own a 1998 Suzuki GS500, which I've had for 7 years. Before that, I started on a 1965 Yamaha YG-1 (80cc) which I fixed and rode for a couple years.

I still love my GS, but I haven't ridden it much in the last couple years mostly due to the fact that my commute is 45min on the highway and I don't get out much on the weekends. I've ridden the GS all day at 60mph with little problem, but it sucks at 75 for 45 minutes.

So I'm thinking about upgrading to something with more highway comfort. I've thought about cruisers, UJM's and sport tour/dual sport bikes like the Versys. Cruisers are good in theory, but I don't think they are any good until you spend $10k plus and they don't depreciate. UJM's that I like are hard to find used in rideable condition for a reasonable price. So that leaves the Versys which seems to be a great all around bike with that's modern and should be reliable. And for some reason I'm drawn to the Versys's odd duck styling.

So I'm here to lurk in the FS section, and learn more about the versys and maybe even ask a question or two.

So hi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 AM

Welcome!
I too, dont yet own a V. But want one bad. I think it will be the perfect bike for my riding.
From what I have read here the rear sprocket should be changed to a 43T. If you plan to use it for commutes at highway speeds.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeore39648 View Post
Welcome!
From what I have read here the rear sprocket should be changed to a 43T. If you plan to use it for commutes at highway speeds.
Better mileage?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofthefield View Post
Better mileage?
Lower RPM's at highway speeds.
And maybe, better mileage too!
I would think it would have better mileage, you are lowering the RPM's.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum. For me the bike is just too much fun with the stock sprocket so I don't know if I will change it. I'm not one for interstates anyway.

IMO there are better bikes for interstate travel than the Versys. You really need to decide what you want to do and where you want to go. The Versys is an all arounder. More like the UJM of the 1970s Not great at the extremes, but does everything OK.

For interstate travel I would opt for a heavy bike that won't get blown around and provides excellent wind protection. Not sure where your budget is but I am assuming it is around $5k. I would be looking at an '07 Kawasaki Concours, a 1600cc Vulcan LT, or something along those lines for the type of riding you described.

Of course comfort is a subjective thing and you don't state why your current bike sucks on the interstate. If it is because of wind then you will not like the Versys without modifications.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 PM

2009 Blue Versys

I am looking to sell my 2009 blue Versys. Excellent condition and 3650 miles on it. I live in Northville Michigan, check out picks of my bike here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4763658...7624218667756/

Willing to sell for $4000 firm. If interested or any questions email me at:
[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
1400 mile trip all interstate 16T front sprocket. No problems.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

twowheeladdict, thanks for the advice. You may be right that I'd be better on one of those bikes. I tend to shy away from the really big heavy bikes though because I'm a small guy (5'8", 130lbs), but i've never really ridden anything that size.

TBH, the wind doesn't bother me, except if I have to hold my head up against it. I think a moderate windscreen should fix that. Otherwise I like being out in the breeze.

I think the biggest complaint with my current bike is the reach from seat to bars, straining my back. I've read from at least one person whose had both, that the Versys's bars are closer and higher up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplanman View Post
I am looking to sell my 2009 blue Versys. Excellent condition and 3650 miles on it. I live in Northville Michigan, check out picks of my bike here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4763658...7624218667756/

Willing to sell for $4000 firm. If interested or any questions email me at:
[email protected]
mplanman, nice pics and good price, imo. I'll check back with you when I'm a little more serious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode