Checking in from Long Beach CA - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
JPC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Checking in from Long Beach CA

Whats up everybody. Picked up a Versys on Friday, 2011. First bike. Had a tough time with it on Sat. was trying to work on low speed controlled turns, but it was controlling me. Sunday I felt great on the bike. Could do anything I wanted to do. Today, went to go practice hill riding, and bamn, crash.
Still not sure what I did wrong. I wanted to do a u turn, was travelling up a hill. From a stop, eased on a bit of throttle, not too much, started turning, and halfway around lost both tires. Broke the clutch foot pad stay and scratched up the cowling pretty good too. Had to limp home in first gear.
It was pretty early morning, and the tires probably wernt to warm, and the bike only has 50 miles on it, so maybe its a tire issue? Or maybe I grabbed a bit of front brake? I dont remember doing that though. Bummer.
All I know though is as soon as I get it running again, im gonna go back to that same darn spot and get it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:30 PM

Teaching yourself to ride on the street with a new bike can be a rough road (pun intended). Sorry about your misfortune, glad you weren't hurt. Bummer about the cowling...what is a "clutch foot pad stay?" I'm not familiar with that.

Just curious...do you have a motorcycle license/endorsment? If so, did you pass the skill/riding test at DMV or did you take a MSF course?

Be safe.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.

Last edited by RockyMoto; 05-30-2011 at 04:33 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
& Howdy neighbor. Sorry to hear about the spill. When my bike was new the tires were real slick at first so if it was early morning and the road had a little moisture that could have been the problem.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
JPC

Yea I have an endorsement. Took MSF. Did fine in all. I think what I did wrong might have been that my lean angle was increased by the grade of the hill. (and it was at a local college. I don't try to push myself on the streets where there might be traffic.) but halfway around the turn I remember pulling in the clutch a bit cause I felt like I was going too fast. That change in speed while transitioning from uphill to downhill is what probably triggered the spill. That and the fact that I was trying to maintain the smallest radius possible. That and the fact that I am probably trying to run before I know how to walk.
The stay is the aluminum piece that the clutch petal footrest attaches too. Looks like it is designed to absorb impact there instead of the actual peg. Not bad, its only a $50.00 part.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:37 PM

Talking Rear brake

Might try using the rear brake more when making sharp or u turns.
Less or no front brake.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM

Sorry about your drop... Sounds like you may have killed the power by pulling in the clutch when you needed the power to pull you around the turn. U-Turns are not easy for most experienced folks. Its a skill that needs to be polished.

Be safe out there!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
JPC

You know, Ive been doing some reading on it today, and I agree with you. I was taught to roll on a bit of throttle and control the speed with the clutch. But I kinda think now that if I release the clutch a bit so that the bike just starts to roll forward, or on a hill will not roll backward if I release the brake, and then keep it there while I control my speed with the throttle it might be more stable.
Can anybody chime in on this to help a newby out?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Agree with Capn Kirk sounds like a lack of power resulting in a stall and maybe even grabbing your front brake on the turn. Seem my wife drop her cruiser twice on the first day she got it, both caused by turning to sharp with no power or sufficent forward Momentum.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
JPC

Yea, lack of power is probably it. I dont think I grabbed the front brake though. Its just wierd, cause of the way my bike slid. I did drop the bike from lack of power the first day I rode it, and that was uh oh, falling, cant hang on, okay letting go. This was up, everything going good, then down, sliding about 5 feet with engine revving, and wtf just happened?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Just a suggestion that maybe spend some more time just riding normally before practicing more technical maneuvers to become familar with your horse. How tall are you? The Versys is a tall bike and can be tricky for a learner who is shorter.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
JPC

Thank you. Your right. Had I not been in such a hurry to figure it all out I could have been having more fun. bike fits me fine though. Planting both feet on the ground when I need to is not a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crash, gear shifter, learning, new bike, new member.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode