Hello from Wisconsin - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Wisconsin

Hey guys my name is Rob and I am here to do some research on the Kawasaki Versys. Heres my story! Well I'm 42 and the last time I rode a motorcycle was when I was 18 and it was a suzuki GS450. Over the years I have gained some serious weight all the way up to 450 lbs. I decided to have lap band surgery so now I am down to 320 and still loosing also 6' tall. I decided to celebrate by riding again and actually very excited to do so. I signed up for a safety course which I am taking this thursday. I consider myself a new rider. I went into the showroom and saw a new 2009 candy green versys and it caught my eye. So I am here to research. Will I look like a fat guy on a little bike? Is a 650 too much power for a beginner? I really like its looks but must admit I am a little intimidated by it. I will be riding a Buell Blast in the course so I am figuring it would be about the same seating position. The dealer has this bike new for $5999. Is this a good deal? Thanks guys and gals in advance for any questions answered. 1 more week and I will be riding just not sure what yet.

Last edited by fisherob; 05-17-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherob View Post
Will I look like a fat guy on a little bike?
If you're 320 lbs and 5'5" - yes; if you're 320 lbs and 6'5" - maybe not.

The Versys probably isn't an ideal first bike, but many people here have made it their first bike and seem to be doing OK. My first bike after the MSF course was a 250cc Suzuki. I was just terrified of bigger heavier bikes, so that's what I was comfortable starting on. But it's different for everyone.

If you can find a dealer that will allow you to test ride the bike before you buy it, that would be the best approach so that you can judge for yourself, but my guess is that most will be hesitant to let you ride if you're just starting.

Welcome to the forums!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I do not think you will run out of power even with your weight, I weight 82 kg and have taken my son on 2 ups and he is 70 kg so that gives us a 152 kg or 335 lbs plus top box and all the junk we had in it. Still had plenty of power left to let my 19 year old get off the bike a bit nervous not that he would admit it to me but did have concerns to his mum Lol. My wife opinion of the versys is its idiot proof meaning its very forgiving and almost goes takes itself around corners unlike her cruiser or truck as i call it where you have to drive it around.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 PM
MTS

I think its the bike for you! You are 320 and 6' not 5'5". But the Buell Blast you better read some reviews. Buy the extended warranty and have a fat wallet.
Just start slow and you will get the feel of it! Good Luck Rob!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:20 AM

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
. I'm 240lbs and had a 260lb passenger without any serious issues, so it should be fine...

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM

Where do you live? When you pass the class give a shout. I will let you ride mine. Depending on when you call though it may or may not have tkc s on. But I would put on hwy tires given a little time.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I was 340lbs down to 270lbs and the bike works well for me.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 PM

The Beull blast is a smaller bike and at 6' you are going to feel cramped. Kind of funny thought though "does this bike make me look fat". Don't worry about how you look, its all about how you feel. Confident is the goal....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 AM

Like said, this bike is really forgiving. The only concern is the seat height but in your case of being 6', it should not be an issue at all. Once you ride it, you've got to have it.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherob View Post
Hey guys my name is Rob and I am here to do some research on the Kawasaki Versys. Heres my story! Well I'm 42 and the last time I rode a motorcycle was when I was 18 and it was a suzuki GS450. Over the years I have gained some serious weight all the way up to 450 lbs. I decided to have lap band surgery so now I am down to 320 and still loosing also 6' tall. I decided to celebrate by riding again and actually very excited to do so. I signed up for a safety course which I am taking this thursday. I consider myself a new rider. I went into the showroom and saw a new 2009 candy green versys and it caught my eye. So I am here to research. Will I look like a fat guy on a little bike? Is a 650 too much power for a beginner? I really like its looks but must admit I am a little intimidated by it. I will be riding a Buell Blast in the course so I am figuring it would be about the same seating position. The dealer has this bike new for $5999. Is this a good deal? Thanks guys and gals in advance for any questions answered. 1 more week and I will be riding just not sure what yet.
6'0" is fine for the Versys. I'm 5'11" and it works okay. I did change the handle bars out for a more forward lean, but stock was fine. Since you have a little size to you, I'd stick with a 650. Anything smaller and I think you will feel it in the bikes engine. It won't be too much power. You may only run into to much power on an inline 600 supersport (R6, Ninja 600, CBR600rr, GSX-R600). You'll be fine. Don't consider a Buell Blast. They are underpowered pieces of crap and there's a reason that they are no longer being made.

Welcome! I'm originally from Waukesha,WI!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Hey live in Genoa City. Where you at?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:36 AM

I am in Blanchardville. North of Monroe.

My offer is still valid. But I have the Kawy Gel seat which is quite a bit lower than stock. And moves you quite a bit forward. Also my scoot is lowered. But that won't really change the feel much while moving.

Also the gearing is way off from normal.

Engelharts in Madison have a used 08 for sale that I am pretty sure they would let you test ride.
LINK

I could meet up with ya there as well.

Let me know!

Ride em if ya got em!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
& on losing some weight. The V should do fine for your size.

How you look on the bike is not a matter of concern but will you enjoy it is.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
& on losing some weight. The V should do fine for your size.

How you look on the bike is not a matter of concern but will you enjoy it is.

Are you sure?

Ride em if ya got em!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post
I am in Blanchardville. North of Monroe.

My offer is still valid. But I have the Kawy Gel seat which is quite a bit lower than stock. And moves you quite a bit forward. Also my scoot is lowered. But that won't really change the feel much while moving.

Also the gearing is way off from normal.

Engelharts in Madison have a used 08 for sale that I am pretty sure they would let you test ride.
LINK

I could meet up with ya there as well.

Let me know!
Alright I am good to go I passed the course and went to the DMV today and got my License. In no way was I planning to get a Buell blast. It is the motorcycle I had to use in the training class. I really appreciate you offering to let me ride your bike but I would not want to in case something should happen. I am a beginner and definetly am starting out slow. I'm going to start out driving around the neighborhood. What I would really like to find is a couple of experienced riders to ride with. I went today and and sat on a 2009 versys candy green. The bike fit well I was able to stand upright with both feet flat on the ground. The issue that wasn't comfortable was on the brake and shifter pegs. It seems as if I was sitting to far forward leaving my feet kind of behind me which was then awkward to shift the bike. Also it seemed as if there was limited space between the peg and the shifter. It was as if I had to point my toes directly to the ground to try to get under the shift pedal. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment to fix that. It could be that I am just inexperience and it is something I have to get used to. I really appreciate your comments. Today the dealer tried to get me to purchase the new 2009 candy green out the door for $5700. I almost pulled the trigger. Just wanted to do more research.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Man guys I am nervous about pulling the trigger to buy the versys. When I started this whole thing I was planning on getting a yamaha tmax scooter but had to go through the whole getting my M class license here in wisconsin. I really enjoyed taking the course on the motorcycle. I passed the course but still am nervous about getting a motorcycle. I am still not comfortable with the gear switching thing. Even in the class I popped the clutch alot going from 1st to second. I had no problem with finding the friction zone and starting out. I know practice will make perfect but still a little nervous. Definetly different from driving a scooter.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Hi Fisherob, If you can ride a scooter you can ride an MC. I find the whole riding position on a scooter to be more difficult balance wise. Shifting is one of the best parts of the MC experience. Once you get good at it you won't want an automatic again. Besides guys on scooters look silly and guys on Versys's look drop dead sexy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode