Vibration/Buzz/Rattle sound - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vibration/Buzz/Rattle sound

Been riding my 2009 Versys for about a month now and experienced a buzz / vibration noise from the speedo/dials area. The noise became worse and this morning became unbearable. Did some reading on the forums and popped out lunchtime to get some foam tape.

Will try and fix tonight and see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Talking vibration above the speedometer quick fix!

yep..just fixed that same thing..i took off both fairings.windshield...pretty easy..and inserted a 1 inch thick by about a 4 inch by 5 inch piece if soft foam up under that piece of plastic right on top of guage..i went in right above headlight...there is a little tab that can be pushed back right above headlight,so you can lift up that plastic piece above the guage and insert the foam...i wedged the foam inbetween the headlight wiring and plastic above it!...waalaa!...it worked!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Never had a buzz till i got it back from having the therm-o-bob and new headlights installed. Its the piece your talking about will have to fix it quick that noise will drive someone insane.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM

I do the same as Holykaw1, put foam around the speedometer and the vibration just go away... very easy to do.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM

I used small adhesive rubber strips and outlined the speedo, it took a while to take off all the pieces but it seems to work. I thought the vibration was from the outside of the speedo but it turns out that it is right around the tach,
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM

I have an 09 V that started buzzing at around 4,000 RPM. I found I could stop the buzzing by pressing lightly on the cowling just above the middle of the tachometer. Rather than take everything apart, I cut a strip of firm rubber, 1/16" thick, folded it into three layers about 1/2" wide and 3/4" deep. Then pushed the pad into the crack between the cowl and the speedomer - in the middle. Buzzing stopped. Been working for a few hundred miles. A much more peaceful ride.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:50 PM

this was one of the first things i noticed when checking out a versys at the dealer. even with the engine off i could see that the speedo cluster wiggled around in the cowling. it seems odd that it's not more secure.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM

After reaching the breaking point. Shoving part of a sponge up there took care of it. The silicon tubing inserted in the space around the cluster looks like an easy fix and apparently can be done without any fairing removal.
Another point from my perspective is the most common buzz issue is easy to eliminate.
When I saw the more involved disassemble of the of the speedo gauge it post postponed
what is an easy fix to the most common source of the buzz issue.

Last edited by cmoreride; 07-11-2011 at 10:57 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Take your side fairing pieces off. The top plastic piece dash top is the culprit. Some foam adhesive backed weather stripping tape is all that that is required to fix it. Apply a small piece to the TOP of the front tab on the plastic dash piece. Apply two other small strips to where the vertical fins sticking down off the same dash piece contact the bike. There may already be some foam tape there, applying an extra thickness of foam there will help. Will post pictures once I get a chance.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 PM

Use the search function. This issue/non issue has been discussed at length for a couple of years now. Every possible combination of fixes have been tried, and while the buzz is fairly common, the source rarely is. Good Luck

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 AM

hi there guys and Gals, I am new to this site and have just purchased a 2008 kawa versys.

The vibrations are indeed an intense way to go insane quickly but with that issue sorted (Thanks to all the above posts) When pulling off especially in second gear the whole bike vibrates abnormally, I do not think that this should be like this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

All mounting points are fastened correctly and there are no cracks in the frame whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaguy View Post
hi there guys and Gals, I am new to this site and have just purchased a 2008 kawa versys.

The vibrations are indeed an intense way to go insane quickly but with that issue sorted (Thanks to all the above posts) When pulling off especially in second gear the whole bike vibrates abnormally, I do not think that this should be like this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

All mounting points are fastened correctly and there are no cracks in the frame whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.
Alright, let's clarify. You're "pulling off" normally, in first, then shifting to second and you get the bad vibes?
When you shift into third they get better?
If you hold on to second and let the revs climb what happens?
What if you short shift it through second and get into third right away?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Alright, let's clarify. You're "pulling off" normally, in first, then shifting to second and you get the bad vibes?
When you shift into third they get better?
If you hold on to second and let the revs climb what happens?
What if you short shift it through second and get into third right away?
Sounds as if kawaguy is starting from a dead stop in second gear and noticing excessive vibrations. why not use first gear for a smooth start up?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM

This is how I fixed mine

Todd
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 PM

Check the plastic piece that wraps around the headlight. It has a couple of screws on the bottom corners and a tab on the top. If you can wiggle it with your fingers, that's one source of your noise. You need to get it so it won't vibrate. I used a piece of double-sided foam tape right at the top tab and it got rid of that source. There's still some other vibe that I haven't found yet...sigh.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 PM

I read about using a length of small diameter silicone tubing in a thread here...

I purchased a few feet of black vacuum tubing from an auto parts store & pushed into the gap all around my instrument cluster... I used a wooden tongue depressor to push it into place... snipped off the excess... worked great for me... cost less than $2.00...

Very clean look... It looks like it came from the factory like this... no more vibration around the instrument cluster...

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Exclamation Buzz fix addendum for V 2010-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Check the plastic piece that wraps around the headlight. It has a couple of screws on the bottom corners and a tab on the top. If you can wiggle it with your fingers, that's one source of your noise. You need to get it so it won't vibrate. I used a piece of double-sided foam tape right at the top tab and it got rid of that source. There's still some other vibe that I haven't found yet...sigh.
I'd like to, as they say in Congress, extend and amend my remarks from this old thread, which has now been updated to say 2010-2012. I found one source (in my case sole source) of the buzz, which got progressively worse over time from the original fix quoted above. The cure was to wedge a 1 inch tall by 1/2 inch wide or so piece of neoprene (cut from an old wetsuit) into the two locations where the headlight trim piece makes a sideways "V" shape between the high and low headlights. Inside that trim piece there is a small extrusion, sort of a foot, that is probably supposed to rest on the headlight cover, but instead just strikes against it. At the right frequency, around 4600 RPM or so, it sets up a horrible vibration of the headlight trim piece resulting in that terrible buzzing noise. Pry back the trim piece a bit with the edge of a flat screwdriver, and insert something like neoprene or another material with a bit of squishiness right at the V, then release the trim piece so it holds the material in there with the natural pressure from the trim piece. Repeat for the other side. Son-of-a-gun! It worked perfectly on todays 150 mile twisty road ride. It was amazing to smoothly accelerate without that buzz kicking in, and even hold 4600 RPM with no buzz. Sweet! See photo with the neoprene pulled out a bit. Stuff it in so it's wedged nicely without falling out the back and no one will notice. A very simple fix for a vexxing issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vbuzzfix.jpg
Views:	1231
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	13793  

Someday is not a day of the week.

Last edited by Tigerpawed; 08-06-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Updated title for 2010-2012
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 AM

Thanks Tigerpawed, good info.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 AM

sorry for the late response.

Just recently recovered from an accident with the V, lots of meds and bruises and some minor head trauma. as for the guy that bumped me, well lets say he has something in common with hoodini, as for the my V, the sw moteck crash bars and bark buster hand guards took most of the damage, Cracks to the left cowlings and a slight scratch on the visor and left engine cover... other than that she is mechanically sound. oh and much credit to the gear for minimal roasties.

Just waiting for insurance to come through, then a little bit of work and shell be ready for the "Whose got the best looking V" thread. lol.

@Baron650 and Pismocycleguy I am pulling off in 1st, (Not that much of a newb) the issue was resolved by adjusting the clutch according to the specs in the manual. thanks for the replies though.

If you don't over do it then you'll have to do it over
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaguy View Post
sorry for the late response.

Just recently recovered from an accident with the V, lots of meds and bruises and some minor head trauma. as for the guy that bumped me, well lets say he has something in common with hoodini, as for the my V, the sw moteck crash bars and bark buster hand guards took most of the damage, Cracks to the left cowlings and a slight scratch on the visor and left engine cover... other than that she is mechanically sound. oh and much credit to the gear for minimal roasties. .
Bummer! Glad to hear the damage to both you and the bike wasn't too terribly bad. Do I understand correctly that the guy who bumped you disappeared like Houdini? If I read you correctly, I hope he's tracked down by the local Defenders of Public Safety and punished appropriately. People like that should become instantly elligible for summary roadside execution!

If I misunderstand, then I'll borrow a line from Saturday Night Live - "Never mind."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode