Greetings from IL - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Greetings from IL

Hello from the south suburbs of Chicago, Versys owners and admirers.

I have been quietly reading these forums since I found them in February once I saw that a local dealer had a few 2009s still sitting in his showroom that they were pricing to move. Thus the "curious" in the username as I had to register to see some of the photographs.

I was convinced, and took home a green 2009 in the first week of March and have been having a great time on the days that the weather cooperates. I've managed to put on 660 miles in that time, which would have been higher if it hadn't been raining and 40 degrees throughout the state when I was planning on taking it down to St. Louis and back.

This is the first motorcycle I have owned for 5 years. I had bought myself a Ninja 650R the first year that they were available as a college graduation present to myself, but I parked it overnight on a Chicago residential street and it disappeared. I had 3000 miles on it in the brief 3 months that I owned it.

My farkling progress on the 2009 V is already underway. I have installed Speedy's lowering kit and flatfoot to get more secure footing when I'm on the bike but not moving. I also have Givi top and saddlebag mounting brackets on order. I just have to figure out which direction to go on the windscreen and the problematic mirrors. I got my first taste of the mirror issues on the way home from the dealer when the LH mirror swung back at me.

Thanks for all the information here, and sooner or later I'll actually see another Versys on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM

Welcome!

I'm in Chicago burbs as well, but don't have a Versys... yet.

Really bummed about the crappy weather this weekend, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Welcome to VersysCurious!

I am another suburban Chicago rider-Oak Lawn to be exact. I am anxiously awaiting a Versys siting as well. I have owned mine since April, 2009.

Maybe when the weather gets consistently better we can get together for a ride.

David
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_ View Post
Welcome!

I'm in Chicago burbs as well, but don't have a Versys... yet.

Really bummed about the crappy weather this weekend, too.
Hey Pete!

I saw your post on here about your local dealer having a $5399 sticker price on the 2009s? DGY? They still had a couple there when I stopped by to pick up my plates last week if you want to stop scraping metal in the twisties.

There aren't too many dealers around here anymore. I was disappointed after Chicago Cycle shut down over the winter. It might not have been a good place to buy, but it was the biggest dealer I had ever seen and they always had at one of every model to sit on, even the Ducati's. I guess questionable customer service to the point where you have an F rating with the BBB doesn't pay as much as you would think.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaunders4837 View Post
Welcome to VersysCurious!

I am another suburban Chicago rider-Oak Lawn to be exact. I am anxiously awaiting a Versys siting as well. I have owned mine since April, 2009.

Maybe when the weather gets consistently better we can get together for a ride.

David
Good evening, David!

I'm down in Country Club Hills, and come up Cicero to 294 to get out to work in Burr Ridge, so I'm passing by your area daily. I don't think I'm overstating to say that the road surface of 294 is terrible.

An early warning if we ever meet up for a ride is that I'm currently rocking a hi-vis yellow Phantom one piece suit, so be prepared to be blinded. You might need to ride up front.

Matt
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 PM

Matt,

No way! I would always go with the hi-vis in the lead. It is good to be seen. (I have a tinted face shield so I can take it.) I have a blue 2009 and my gear choice is matched blue & white or black & white so I feel a little dulled in comparison.

I know what you mean about 294. It is rock and roll. I am not on it that much with the bike but even with the car there are some really bad spots. Unfortunately that is every road around here. When you go farther north on Cicero it gets worse. I think they are going to work on fixing it but that only means a summer of construction and then with only marginal improvement to the surface.

Such is life in Chicagoland!

David
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versyscurious View Post
DGY? They still had a couple there when I stopped by to pick up my plates last week if you want to stop scraping metal in the twisties.
Yeah, it was DGY.

To be honest, I like the looks of 2010+ Versys more, so that's why I didn't jump on those 2009s. Hopefully next year the used market for 2010s will materialize...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode