Just started riding and Versys is first bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just started riding and Versys is first bike

Been reading this forum for several weeks getting tons of great information about my new motorcycle. Figured it was time to register and introduce myself.

I am a Phoenix, AZ native who has been dreaming about motorcycles for years. I have spent lots of time on two wheels, but they all required pedaling. After my last accident on my downhill bike that did a real number on my elbow, I was unable to mountain bike. So, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to finally take the 2-day motorcycle course and see if I liked it.

Well after the first hour of track time I was hooked. Couldn't believe I had waited this long to try riding. Aced the 2-day class on all counts and ran out to get myself some wheels. After doing lots and lots of internet research I decided that the Versys was the perfect bike for my commute and to allow me to take some trips up into the mountains.

I have about 400 miles on the bike in the last 3 weeks and so far am I am extremely happy. Everything is still stock, but I have added a Cramp Buster paddle for my throttle and the Bags-Connection City tank bag based on reviews posted here. The only issue I am having is dealing with wind on our freeways here. Not sure if its because I am a newbie, or if this bike is just prone to it, but man do I get knocked around on the freeway.

Anyway, glad to join the forum and looking forward to more reading and maybe some future posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Enjoy the bike.
Loosen your grip on the bars and try to keep your arms relaxed and let the bike do its thing in the wind.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
. Like blackberry said, relax and the freeway riding will come to you.

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 PM

The V is my first bike as well and i love it. I actually just went on a long 120 mile freeway ride on Mothers Day. It really isnt bad, just windy. I was hesitant at first, but after the first 5 min or so, it was no biggie at all. Its funny, but i felt like i was running along side the cars being on the bike when compared to driving my suv. You can see everyone texting and not paying attention that much more on the bike!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Since I learned on 70-300cc bikes back in the '60s my perspective may be a bit off. I say this because my learning-to-ride took about 5 years and probably 3-5 major get-offs. Thankfully most of my early riding was on dirt or less traveled back-roads. If I had to recommend a bike to a novice I would say 250cc or under for a year at least, though maybe some people could manage a 650.

The modern 650s make a LOT of power, weigh 500+ lbs. and WILL be a handfull to a new rider in unexpected situations. Be very carefull...the throttle paddle in particular may not be a good idea until you have many miles of experience.

Regarding freeway riding...wind management is not great on a Versys, but is much less of a concern than "freeway commuting traffic". Ride like you are invisable, stay in either the far left or right lane (depending on conditions) and dont be afraid to slow down or exit if it doesnt feel right. (I always try to avoid freeways)

I have found lower windshield settings are better, there is less buffeting. Lots of aftermarket solutions are out there....the Givi shield seems popular.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm also an AZ rider and get depressed every couple weeks when someone on a bike is killed. 90% of the time they are riding overpowered, poor handeling bikes without a helmet or any other protective gear. At least you have the sence to buy a more reasonable bike.

Tom
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedStealth View Post
I am a Phoenix, AZ native who has been dreaming about motorcycles for years.

The only issue I am having is dealing with wind on our freeways here. Not sure if its because I am a newbie, or if this bike is just prone to it, but man do I get knocked around on the freeway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttman View Post
If I had to recommend a bike to a novice I would say 250cc or under for a year at least, though maybe some people could manage a 650.

The modern 650s make a LOT of power, weigh 500+ lbs. and WILL be a handfull to a new rider in unexpected situations. Be very carefull...the throttle paddle in particular may not be a good idea until you have many miles of experience.
The Versys is my first bike and I have been riding it for three years. I think that it is clear that new riders can safely learn to ride on such a bike.

I can say quantitatively that April was 45% more windy here just East of you than in an average April. The winds have been fierce around here. I find that I can handle them just fine anymore.

As for the crampbuster... I tried one on my first "long" trip and I liked it while cruising, but I realized that it was a significant safety issue for me anywhere but cruising on a highway. I now ride 100+ miles each way commuting and have no issues with fatigue in my forearm/wrist. Just like everything, practice makes perfect. I find that my stamina on the bike is growing by riding it more.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Welcome fellow 2 wheel rider. I am an avid cyclist. Mountain and road bike riding in and around the mountains of Colorado. It sure is nice to hop a motorized 2 wheel machine and twist a grip to rip around.

Enjoy the new found freedom.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 AM

The V is my first bike too. Great minds think alike After 2 months I changed my screen to the MRA and it's made a heap of difference. Not much you can do about crosswinds though. The upright nature of the bike and rider is just asking to be blown about.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:20 AM

Wow! It took me 5 different bikes over the last 23 years to arrive at the Versys. You pick it right out of the gate!

If this had been my first bike, I likely would have gotten into some trouble!

, & be safe out there!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:06 PM

Welcome, to the forum.

The Versys is also my first motorcycle. Wind on the interstate, freeway, call it whatever you want, can be bad. Even with the Givi wind screen, my head can get tossed around. I've learned to be cautious of bridges. In VT it's not uncommon to have trees lining the interstate which cuts down cross winds. When crossing a high bridge the sudden blast of wind from the side can catch you off guard. Just my 2 cents.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the welcomes as well as the feedback.

Just to respond to a few of the comments:

1) The Crampbuster came off after one commute. Definitely not for in-town riding as it impacts my braking ability as well as turning.

2) I tried several 250s and they were all too small. At 6'2" I just wasn't comfortable on any of the smaller bikes. The 650 on the Versys feels perfect and I haven't had any trouble getting used to it. I equate the ease of this bike to the more torquey parallel twin. Now when I get on my buddies 750 inline 4, that is a whole different story. That thing is scary for a newbie.

3) I am absolutely trying to be safe out there. Practice the stuff that I learned in class every day in parking lots (emergency stops, swerving, etc). Constantly scanning and looking ahead. Always presuming that every car can't see me and that everyone is about to pull out in front of me. I never get on my bike without full helmet, gloves, jacket with CE guards, overpants with CE guards, and my Alpinestar boots. This stems from my Downhill mountain biking. I never ride DH without full face, full armor, etc and it has saved my life (would have broken spine on rock if it wasn't for my articulating spine protector).
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedStealth View Post
Been reading this forum for several weeks getting tons of great information about my new motorcycle. Figured it was time to register and introduce myself.

I am a Phoenix, AZ native who has been dreaming about motorcycles for years. I have spent lots of time on two wheels, but they all required pedaling. After my last accident on my downhill bike that did a real number on my elbow, I was unable to mountain bike. So, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to finally take the 2-day motorcycle course and see if I liked it.

Well after the first hour of track time I was hooked. Couldn't believe I had waited this long to try riding. Aced the 2-day class on all counts and ran out to get myself some wheels. After doing lots and lots of internet research I decided that the Versys was the perfect bike for my commute and to allow me to take some trips up into the mountains.

I have about 400 miles on the bike in the last 3 weeks and so far am I am extremely happy. Everything is still stock, but I have added a Cramp Buster paddle for my throttle and the Bags-Connection City tank bag based on reviews posted here. The only issue I am having is dealing with wind on our freeways here. Not sure if its because I am a newbie, or if this bike is just prone to it, but man do I get knocked around on the freeway.

Anyway, glad to join the forum and looking forward to more reading and maybe some future posts.
Welcome! By starting out on a Versys you've significantly shortened your future upgrade path. The V was my upgrade bike.

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-18-2011 at 01:39 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Beardedstealth and it sounds like you made a good choice
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 PM

Hey Beardedstealth, welcome and great choice. If I can impart one bit of advice for riding the V, be careful with the front brakes. The bike is wee top heavy and fist full of front brakes at slow speeds while turning makes the beast dive for the asphalt. Its the only near miss I had but I did it several times before I learned.
Good luck and keep the shiny side up.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:29 AM

First off, get rid of the cramp buster!!! I accidentally leaned on mine taking a sharp low speed turn and almost crashed into a car(which made me grab the brakes and drop it so that I didn't crash into the car). Amateur move, but this happened several other times with accidentally leaning on the cramp buster when I was trying to brake. Also, the wind is really bad in the spring around here(I'm in NC). Interstate wind is the worst, so if you can keep it under 55mph during the crazy wind, please do so. On interstates, I recommend staying in the far right lane and watching out for the crazies. Especially the indecisive ones who don't know if they want to exit or stay on the interstate. Good luck with the first bike!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbibenc View Post
First off, get rid of the cramp buster!!!
Affirmative!

Yeah, I had a similar experience with the turning, but luckily I saved it before anything bad happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode