Fng - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CyclopsRider
  • 1 Post By gecx905

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fng

Howdy,
Been riding bikes since 1977, owned a LOT of bikes, but only 3 Kawis. 1980 Z1R, 1983 GPZ550 and a 95 KLX650C. Have not had a bike for a couple of years, so I am in the market for a bike and am 90% sure that it will be a Versys 650. The other 10% of me is considering a CB500X, but that would be the smallest bike for me in more than 20 years. I am just here to research and figure out what I will do.
AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
my suggestion would be to ride the bikes and see if it fits you right, the versys is a great bike but even the greatest bike isnt right for EVERYone... and also you can never have to many bikes im up to 5 ATM but soon to be adopting a 6th

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have a 650 Versys and it works well for me.... after changing the seat, adding some luggage, bigger windshield, etc.

Longest trip (so far) is 1,800 miles.

No complaints. Yet. :-)

We also own several other bikes - including a Harley Road King, Yamaha VStar1300, Versys 1000........

No matter where you go - there you are.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!... and...

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Right before I bought my versys 650, I was considering the cb500x, nc700x and versys 650 as my choices. IMO the versys was the most comfortable of the three. And I liked the amount of power and livliness/responsiveness of the versys 650 the best. However, the versys gets the worst gas mileage of the three with the nc700x getting the best. My dad has one and regularly sees 70mpg on his. However the nc700x has a low redline and feels like driving a diesel motorcycle of some sorts. So it's very economical but not a get up and go fun bike. The versys really does seem to live up to its name. There's a reason why it won motorcycle of the year in 2008! Hope this helps you a bit
aemacleod likes this.

2009 Blue Versys
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecx905 View Post
Howdy,
Been riding bikes since 1977, owned a LOT of bikes, but only 3 Kawis. 1980 Z1R, 1983 GPZ550 and a 95 KLX650C. Have not had a bike for a couple of years, so I am in the market for a bike and am 90% sure that it will be a Versys 650. The other 10% of me is considering a CB500X, but that would be the smallest bike for me in more than 20 years. I am just here to research and figure out what I will do.
AL
Honda is not a bad bike but the Versys is a lot more fun to ride, especially after you tweak the suspension setup for your weight and generally customize it for your needs.

Not sure of the other bikes but a Versys you will also you will also need a rear pit stand and swing arm spools (8mm or 10mm for older versions) that are cheap on EBay to perform basic maintenance - there is no center stand. You should probably also consider crash bars like the SW-Motech to protect your investment. The service manual for the Versys can be downloaded from this site in the TECH section.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the input, I will take a bit of time before I bite the bullet, as I plan to purchase new, unless a super sweet deal comes along. I have also been considering an older thumper and some type of sport bike, 2 bikes for the price of one. In my younger days I would not have even considered a new bike, messing with a bike was half of the fun. Now I just feel like riding. Getting old kinda sucks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
...Getting old kinda sucks.
SURE beats the alternative tho'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Deals January / February

Quote:
Thanks for all of the input, I will take a bit of time before I bite the bullet, as I plan to purchase new, unless a super sweet deal comes along. I have also been considering an older thumper and some type of sport bike, 2 bikes for the price of one. In my younger days I would not have even considered a new bike, messing with a bike was half of the fun. Now I just feel like riding. Getting old kinda sucks.
I heard it for years, these super sweet deal's, well they do exist, from dealers. Depends what you want and when you want it, my deal was 100 KM south of me, purchased in February 2016 , from conversing with other forum members living in other provinces, I know this dealer is awesome, prices I get for parts is less than what the others pay for the same thing. If you are interested PM me and I can give you the name, they have a very large stock and more than Kawasaki.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Looked at it, touched it, sat on it,.............and handed the salesman a big fat stack, and said, SOLD!!!!!!!
Does that count???
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 PM

Garage
One FNG welcomes another FNG...

Rmpl
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode