Here because that $**^ SEAT!!!, and others - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By emBARK
  • 2 Post By CJRuffner
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here because that $**^ SEAT!!!, and others

I've been reading a lot of these forums while deciding on a bike.

I don't know if anyone reads these, but my issues at the moment are two:

1) That horrible, jewel-crushing seat. I don't know if I need a whole new seat, I've tried the Airhawk R (not sure if I got the right size - I think mine's a large). Nothing seems to help with the jewel-crush.

I'm bewildered at to how this became the standard seat design. It seems best suited to... females.

I don't know that I need a whole new seat, but lordy I gotta do something about that. Unless I'm taking a vow of chastity.

2) The guy I purchase it from took a bunch of stuff off the bike after I'd bought it, which I didn't realize until we'd trucked it home. He said he was taking stuff off to make it easier to secure in the truck. He then slipped that out of the truck before we left. One of the things we noticed was missing, and and he pretended to have accidentally taken it into his house. There's a lot more to how he got away with it, but basically he took accessories that were part of the deal, after the deal was done and he had the money. Not sure what I can do about that.

Now I have to post a second post. I guess that'll be the introduction part.

Loving the bike otherwise. I have to get it checked out by a mechanic because I'm wondering how much the d-bag I bought it from
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Loving the bike

Despite my reservations over the seller, this bike is a blast. I'm regretting the guy I bought it from, but even more I'm regretting how long I've been without a bike.

I want to go on some trips before it gets cold.

I'd like post more once the theft issue is resolved. While I'm trying to work that out, I'm a bit reluctant to talk too much, since we're still trying to figure out the best way to approach this guy.

I really appreciate this site. It's given me some really useful tips, and reassured me (like about the 4K rpm vibe issue).
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 AM

Garage
Welcome. What did the seller take? Bummer.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Any new seat will be painful at first as your body adapts to new pressure points. I would suggest riding a bicycle for several hours and a motorcycle seat will seem like heaven. What ever the case it is usually best to ride a bike for a while before making any ergonomic/comfort changes as it is likely your opinions will change with time spent in the saddle.

Also make sure you are sitting on the broad rear portion of the seat. The front portion is for sliding down on so you can reach the road when stopped. If you find yourself sliding toward the front while riding, grip the tank and adjust the handle bar position. What ever the case it is usually best to ride a bike for a while before making any ergonomic/comfort changes.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I agree with the cycling seat lol. I have been a road cyclist for longer than I've been riding motorcycles, since I ride thousands of miles per year on practically a piece of carbon fiber covered with leather, any motorcycle seat I now sit on feels plush lol.
aemacleod likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:46 AM

I am a female rider! Take it from me........the seat is just as bad for a female as it is for a male. I love the bike but the seat design really needs some work!
aemacleod and MS. like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
aboard!

Read this about how to FIX your seat (for about $2!!!).

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...s-methods.html
DaveC, Buffalo_Bob and CJRuffner like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:05 PM

I'm a fairly new V owner, and I have to whole-heartedly agree about the seat. In fact, the seat is my biggest gripe. It's stiff as a plank and is shaped to force you forward (puts strain on your tailbone). My tailbone is on fire by the time I ride to work. I've already put in my payment for a Terry Adcox seat that I'm very much eager to have, just waiting for him to catch up on previous orders.

Sucks he shorted on you on some stuff. But unfortunately that's just part of the game of buying privately. Probably nothing you can really do about it (legally). Still ****ty on his part, nonetheless.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Lol. Just from my experience, I think if you guys ever rode a stock honda nc700x, you'd realize the seat on the versys isn't so bad in regards to the jewel crushing geometry.

2009 Blue Versys
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

So, here's what happened, with apologies for the length. I wrote a short version for anyone who doesn't want to be bothered with my whole memoir.

Short version: I bought the bike with Corbin seat and tank bag and side boxes and drove a truck up to Illinois to bring it back. After I'd purchased it, he stole these things off bike. I noticed the boxes missing and he acted all confused, then disappeared into his house forever and finally emerged with them. I didn't realize I was missing the other two until I got it home.

I called him about the tank bag and he denied it. A couple days ago, I was looking for a seat and saw the used Corbin advertised here, on kawasakiversys.com. I was considering whether I should try to buy it. As I scrolled down, there was his story about how he'd recently sold a bike and the buyer didn't want it and...

For some reason, what the guy was saying felt like a lie. I have no idea why, but sometimes you know how you can just get the feeling, even reading something?

With a sinking feeling, I looked at his profile. Same guy.

I was also elated, because now I finally had proof.

I've called him. He made up more stories about how the bike was for sale at a higher price earlier and and someone else didn't want it so he'd relisted it without the seat... all lies. Even the version he put on the forum is complete fiction. The bike I bought had a Corbin seat. And a tank bag. (More on that below.)

Full story:

I bought this bike over the phone from a Craigslist ad. The agreement was that as long it was just as described, it was sold.

I asked how firm he was on price - it was listed at $5,900, but said he'd go $5,750.

Now, I'd missed out on another bike, and this one came the things I wanted, like nice Tusk side boxes, center stand, engine guards and a Corbin seat. It wasn't a bad deal, I was eager, and the guy seemed honest.

I offered $5,700. I'm sure I could have driven him down further but I really wanted it done. He agreed.

(I'm also not big on conflict at the moment.)

Because it was a four hour drive, and I agreed to buy it as long it had no issues and was was exactly as described, I sent him a deposit. Didn't have to do that, but I sent him $200 via PayPal.

OK, four hour drive. Delays. Big accident in front of me on the way. I got there around ten pm, feeling bad for keeping the guy up. Everything, including the bike, was out on the lawn. I rang the bell... and handed him the rest in cash, $5,500.

Instead of a test ride, I just took it for a checkout ride, to make it sure it ran as described. I even joked as I backed out it out, "I be careful... actually, I guess I can drive it however I want. I've bought it."

It was a single ride, unlike his fantasy version, and it went on a bit longer than I wanted because the next exit surprisingly long way down the highway he'd suggested. All good.

So, we loaded everything into the truck... and here's where it got weird:

While I was at the back of the truck, I saw him take the Garmin off... and was wandering back towards his house. He saw me watching him and I asked him what was going on. He said it had a power problem, was staying on or something. Not really sure why he had to take it off for that, or where he was going with it, but... well, it seemed a little strange. (Whatever "power problem" it was having hasn't repeated itself, so you be the judge of whether it ever had one at all.)

He seemed more experienced with tie-downs, so he was adjusting them for me, explaining it's best if the bike leans slightly to the kickstand side, and so on. I left him in the back of the truck while I was up in the cab for a bit (just moving some things that had been in the bed). I looked up and he'd gone into his house. Supposedly to get the records, the manual, etc.

Something about his manner was just off. There'd already been the thing with the Garmin. I was wiped out from a long day and a long drive, and not really thinking about these sorts of things, but the alarm bells kept going off. He seemed more and more nervous as he gave me the records and owner's manual and so on.

I glanced around for something obvious and... the boxes were missing.

Seriously?

I asked him what happened to the boxes.

Same sort of weird confusion: Oh, I must have... I think I... put them in...

Again, seriously?

I'd bought the damn bike. There was no reason to take the boxes back into the house. None.

And they weren't just on the porch or something. He disappeared into his house forever to get them.

Like, forever. I was getting really eager to just leave. I was tired, I had a long drive ahead of me, and I'd discovered the guy I'd just given $5,700 to was a total d-bag.

Finally he came out the with the boxes. In my eagerness to just be done with him, I didn't check the other things. I noticed him kind of nervously watching me the whole time as I turned and stopped to set my GPS for the trip home.

When I it got home, I discovered he'd also taken the tank bag.

I called him about it, but it was just the same sort of slightly confused don't-know-what-happened-to-it. He said his neighbor had found bit of a tie-down strap on the lawn the next morning, but nothing else. (Doubt that even happened - does your neighbor knock on your door if there's a discarded bit of tie-down strap on your lawn?)

To be fair, it was a very nice tank bag. I can see why he wanted it back. I had wondered why a guy who said he owned six motorcycles would be parting with it. Well, I discovered after I got it home thatit was because the bag was covering nice dent in the tank. So that's why it had to be on while I test drove it, right until after we had it loaded into the truck and I'd hopped down... at which point he saw his chance.

And that folder with the records? It turned out to be full of articles about the bike he'd printed off the Internet. Nothing specific to the bike at all. Thanks for that.

Well, a few days later I went to take it for the safety inspection and... Holy s***, no Corbin seat! I just hadn't even noticed that.

Now, this guy's already tried to steal the boxes, stolen and blatantly lied about the tank bag... what can I do. If I called him, he'd just say it was with the bike when it left.

So, that was why I was just stunned when saw it here for sale. Just to be clear, the his little story is complete fiction. There was a never a discussion about knocking down the price without the Corbin.

I called him and he just lied again, said it wasn't supposed to be included because he'd had it for sale earlier but somebody else hadn't wanted it and then... on and on.

Well, it was included, and I paid him for it. So I bought it. So I own it. So he'd stolen it. Along with the tank bag. (That probably already went on Craigslist, or something.)

I called him and he said he'd taken it out of the ad. I have the ad. It's in the ad. He said he didn't mean of it to be. What?

His version on the forum here also claimed, in addition to the two test rides with and without (total fiction), that I'd asked if we could lower the price if he kept the seat.

I'd knocked his price down by... fifty bucks.

So, if I give him the fifty bucks, could I get the $500 seat? And the $120 tank bag? Just asking...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

That's where I am. I really don't know how to deal with this guy. I don't have it right now to deal with this guy. Not to get into my personal life, but I did tell him about a bit about it, and it's unfortunately relevant: I've spent the last fifteen years overseas, and now, having gone through a PTSD treatment (never convinced I actually have that, but anyway it's maybe relevant for my not being wild about further conflict at the moment and just wanting a long, peaceful ride), really wanted to get a bike and before it gets cold, go see this country I've been away from so much for so long. I'm planning to ride out to see my girlfriend in a couple weeks - she's currently overseas herself.

I only bring that up because he knew all that. We'd talked a bit. I guess was only interested to if I was vulnerable, a soft target or something. I haven't always been, but at the moment, yeah, I am.

My buddies have some of their own ideas... And a couple LEO friends have made suggestions on how I can approach the police their, but it's going to be an uphill climb, at best (the guy says he's a firefighter, in the small city he's lived in forever, so...). We might be able to use the police report to at least get PayPal involved for that part. They can apparently reverse a payment even after it's made (and go after a fraudulent seller). Even if neither of us gets the money, I'd prefer that to this guy just ripping me off.

I just didn't expect this. And maybe I'm overreacting, but a couple other things that have happened, not to me but to friends, have made me wonder what the heck's been going on here. Is this how we treat each other now?

I've been ripped off before, will be again sometime, no doubt. But, I dealt with this guy in nothing but good faith, straight through. Even sent him the deposit when he hadn't even asked for it. I was straightforward and honest with him. And he's been so very scummy in return.

And the town he lived in was just beautiful. A part of me was going, this looks like a great place to live. It was just lovely. I asked him about it, and he told me yes, it was very nice, but lately there'd been a rise in crime.

Yeah, sure seems to be the case.

(One way to deal with that: don't steal from people.)

If you'll pardon me the musings here... On a larger level, to me, there's the issue of how we treat each other, how we want to treat each other (and be treated), what kind of society we want to live in.

I once sold a vehicle - a friend completed the sale for me, since I was back overseas - and the buyer blew out the clutch three days later. Called my friend complaining to the heavens.

I fixed it. Cost me five hundred bucks (plus a case of beer for my buddy), but I helped the guy. He put in part of it. I did that even though we were 98% certain that it was because the new driver just didn't know how to drive a stick. I try to be decent to people. I've run after a guy who left his wallet on the next table. Found a phone and wallet together and got it back to the owner. (I called the contact called MOM... turns out there were all nearby, celebrating his birthday.) I've lived that way on every level. That's the sort of society I want to live in.

I've also spent more time than I cared to in societies where people are always just trying to rip each other off, they always have to watching each other and wary.

You know what? Nothing works. Economists don't talk much about that, but having seen it up close, it makes everything really difficult, and slow. Part of why they have to default to things like clans and tribal groups some places: if a guy in your tribal group rips you off, there are people you can go to, he gets a reputation, etc.

But that's really not how we want to live here. Trust me.

Maybe someone did the same sort of thing to this guy. I kinda hope so, so there'd be some explanation.

There's some level of d-baggery we always kind of expect and know to look for. The dent I missed, that happens. Covering it up like that might be sleazy, but it's not illegal. (Although since he told me it was completely undamaged, there'd be a case to be made.) I also saw on the forum here that he was selling rear turn signal for it... I checked mine and.. oh, he'd just glued the broken one back together. Great.

Kinda sucks, but that's just a bad deal.

Taking the items I've already bought is theft. Our deal was very clear. Even just not including them would be.

That bag, he just took right out of the truck, after we'd loaded it. Who knows how he ended up with the seat. Glad it I made it out with the wheels - if he'd had time, I'm sure I would have gotten home without those. And he'd have just said, "I don't know. The neighbor's kid had a flat tire on his bicycle yesterday... "

Yes, you can get a bad deal, but when it gets to outright theft...

On a more general note I've been concerned about the process of buying a used bike for a while. When I pull up, I always give the owner an envelope of cash before I go for a ride. That guy could easily just say I never gave it to him. He could easily slip a few hundred out - we never count it out in front of each other when I hand it to him, and much less repeat the process when I get it back. We just have to trust each other. There are scammers out there, but as long as you're going to a physical address, and you can get a sense of the guy (excuse possible sexism - I've only ever bought bikes from males). Think of all the time it would take if we had no trust. How could we even work the holding the cash thing?

If this is how we're going to be acting now, the whole way of doing things just breaks down.

Anyway, thanks for reading, anyone who did. We've been talking about how to deal with this... Fortunately, I have some buddies who look out for me, who want to do something on my behalf, and are pissed. For my part, though, I've seen enough over the past decade and half. I really didn't expect this when I'm back home, in a lovely small town, and from a guy who says he's a firefighter, and who I've dealt with in nothing but good faith. This guy said his town is going downhill with the crime. Just wondering here, but how does he think that happens?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:00 PM

I have a Corbin seat for my 2011 and I hate it. I had the stock seat reupholstered by Baldwin. Not much better but better than the Corbin or stock seat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

It's below. A bit long - I was upset.

Still am, a bit.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 PM

Certainly takes the cake on my d-bag bike seller experience. My second bike, a Suzuki Bandit 600, bought it off ebay then the seller tries to change the conditions of the sale and demands that I western union him the money sight unseen, I blow him off, he calls a few days later desperate to sell the bike and agrees to the original conditions in his auction. I go to pick up the bike and discover AFTER I paid him that the back tire has a nail in it and the front wheel has a small bend in the rim.

As far as the Versys seat goes, I don't have any problems with sliding forward, with the stock seat. Might just be how I have the suspension set. I have the front set a tad stiffer than the rear.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipPrdy View Post
...So, if I give him the fifty bucks, could I get the $500 seat? And the $120 tank bag? Just asking...
IF you don't get satisfaction w/ PayPal, call the COPS!

IN FACT - call them anyway, and have him charged w/ theft OVER $50!
quexpress and jruffner like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 PM

I'm sorry to hear about this KipPrdy. Please be assured this forum is typically a great community and I've had nothing but great experiences with everyone on here. I hope you get it all sorted out. On another note, it sounds like you could possibly be located fairly close to me. Hit me up for a ride some time if you like!

2009 Blue Versys
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
This isn't the place to settle a dispute

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...sys-650-a.html
I closed that thread ,this is what I posted; Normally this thread would be deleted,as the item is sold, even deleted threads can be resurrected by us mods, under the circumstances I will leave it and close it. Thanks to Fasteddie for catching this, this is a rare occurrence and at no time does Verticalscope take responsibility or come between what is posted. Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding.

I am doing the same here. Once this is resolved PM any of us mods and we can make changes or edit / delete , since the largest part is the OP side of the story, all comments are related to this and therefore I see no benefit to keep kicking a dead horse, it is taking a nap. And did I say to the forum!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode