I just bought a new Versys X 300 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robsx300

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just bought a new Versys X 300

I have a 2013 Victory Cross County Tour and wanted something lite to check out some dirt roads.
2 years ago I bought a WR250R. Always having 2 stoke dirt bikes I was very disappointed wth the WR. It had no low end power. 1st gear was way to tall. The seat was to tall. But it did have great suspension pcs. Sold after 1 year.

Decided to get back into something that would get me down some easy trails. At 59 not interested in pushing and pulling a dirt bike out of mud holes any more...

Watched every YouTube vid on the Versys and Honda 250 rally. Went to the dealer money in hand to buy the rally and couldn't do it. I wanted a more street oriented bike. And I hate thumpers....

So the Versys won.

I have 650km on the bike and 2 things I don't like.
The seat is a painful thing....
The gear ratio is way to low.

How long will these motors last revving like this?

Last edited by Robsx300; 09-05-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to ask
How did you guys break in the motor?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I did the "Motoman" break in but you would have had to have done that in the first 20 miles, so now, your only recourse is to sell the bike to me at a loss and buy a new one (kidding). Yes you would think Kwai would listen to their customer base and revamp the seat. Makes no sense to me. Other than that I think the bike (mine is a 650) is perfect.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsx300 View Post
I have a 2013 Victory Cross County Tour and wanted something lite to check out some dirt roads.
2 years ago I bought a WR250R. Always having 2 stoke dirt bikes I was very disappointed wth the WR. It had no low end power. 1st gear was way to tall. The seat was to tall. But it did have great suspension pcs. Sold after 1 year.

Decided to get back into something that would get me down some easy trails. At 59 not interested in pushing and pulling a dirt bike out of mud holes any more...

Watched every YouTube vid on the Versys and Honda 250 rally. Went to the dealer money in hand to buy the rally and couldn't do it. I wanted a more street oriented bike. And I hate thumpers....

So the Versys won.

I have 650km on the bike and 2 things I don't like.
The seat is a painful thing....
The gear ratio is way to low.

How long will these motors last revving like this?
I've ridden the Victory Cross Country before and going from it to the Versys will feel like going from a Motorhome to a compact car. While the Victory is supremely comfortable on the highway it also weighs in at over twice the weight of the Versys with only a minimally more powerful engine.

The gear ratios of the Versys will initially seem low because you are used to a low RPM VTwin engine that cruises at ~2000 rpm and red lines at ~5000 rpm. The Versys engine only starts to come alive above 5000 RPM and does not like to be ridden at speeds less than 4000 rpm. It functions best from 5000 rpm to 8000 rpm. You will likely need to get used to keeping the revs at a much higher level that you are used to on the Victory, this is not a flaw in the gearing but the way the engine/transmission was designed for peak operational efficiency.

Hard to predict life expectancy but water cooled engines usually last longer than air cooled engines due to greater thermal stability. As long as proper maintenance is performed including valve adjustments, throttle body syncs, oil changes, filter cleanings, etc. I would assume it will last as least as long as the Victory engine.

Motorcycle seats take some adaption. Any new seat will initially seem painful as the pressure points on your posterior will change. I would suggest riding the bike for a while before deciding if you need a new seat.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-05-2017 at 08:02 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:27 AM

Garage
I regeared mine with a 2 tooth larger sprocket and I only ride on the street. If it is a ABS model the GP light won't work any more. You see a lot of Ninja 250 and 300s with a lot of
miles on them so I would not worry about engine life.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well ... It is a 296cc motor, so expect some revving. That said, it is a liquid cooled twin cylinder and manufactures tend to set red line/rev limiters to at least 10% lower than what they think is a max limit. Your motor will give you tens of thousands reliable miles with normal maintenance. Enjoy!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsx300 View Post
Forgot to ask
How did you guys break in the motor?
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !

Oh - and welcome to the forum !!!

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Congratulations on the new Versys. I'm also new here and I'm looking to purchase a X 300 too.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I rode at 4K rpm for a while but 35 mph in top gear at 4K was to painful
So the motor man break in won.......
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've ridden the Victory Cross Country before and going from it to the Versys will feel like going from a Motorhome to a compact car. While the Victory is supremely comfortable on the highway it also weighs in at over twice the weight of the Versys with only a minimally more powerful engine.

The gear ratios of the Versys will initially seem low because you are used to a low RPM VTwin engine that cruises at ~2000 rpm and red lines at ~5000 rpm. The Versys engine only starts to come alive above 5000 RPM and does not like to be ridden at speeds less than 4000 rpm. It functions best from 5000 rpm to 8000 rpm. You will likely need to get used to keeping the revs at a much higher level that you are used to on the Victory, this is not a flaw in the gearing but the way the engine/transmission was designed for peak operational efficiency.

Hard to predict life expectancy but water cooled engines usually last longer than air cooled engines due to greater thermal stability. As long as proper maintenance is performed including valve adjustments, throttle body syncs, oil changes, filter cleanings, etc. I would assume it will last as least as long as the Victory engine.

Motorcycle seats take some adaption. Any new seat will initially seem painful as the pressure points on your posterior will change. I would suggest riding the bike for a while before deciding if you need a new seat.
Well my Vic has aprox 100hp and will be long out of site before this Versys gets in top gear. Absolutely no power comparison.
With minimal changes the Vic 106 can make some very impressive power.
As for weight.......more like a transport truck to a Smart car.
My Vic has 91,000km on it and will double or triple that mileage with ease before any wear is evident.
I was always under the impression that a piston will only go up and down so many times before rings or cylinder wall is worn out. Cam chains and cam shafts spinning at warp nine will wear at extream rates compared to a big loping VTwin. Valves opening and closing at 3 times the rate of a car or big mc motor will wear valve guides and seals.
Don't get me wrong . I figured as much when I bought the Versys.
Over the years I noticed that most bikes cruised the Hwy at 1/2 redline. Big cruisers or sport bikes. Didn't matter. If the red line was 14k the Hwy rpm would be (aprox) half. That puts the Versys x300 prime speed for longevity at 50 mph. Not saying it will not run at red line all day. But I bet if you could ask the engineers at Kawasaki what speed the bikes expected cruise was they would say 50-55 mph.

Another thing that I notice and by what you said .......the Versys works best between 4-8k And that's what I noticed. But I read that there is a big boost in power close to red line. But not mine. It seems to loose its will to rev past eight grand.

The seat is beyond hard. I have an idea on how to adjust the foam witch will make it softer to sit on. My 59 year old ass has gotten very used to sitting on a big soft cushy cruiser seat.

Again....don't get me wrong ... I really like the bike. It's a blast to rev the snot out of it. Sounds like a F1 car. Runs the twisties at crazy speeds with ease. It feels so lite and flickable..

The motor reminds me of the Honda CB175 twin I rode to high school. Lots of noise with little go.

I read and watched lots of YouTube vids that said the brakes were just ok. But mine are very touchy. Lots of bite. Impressive to say the least.

Rob
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !
We want pictures !

Oh - and welcome to the forum !!!
Thank you...
But they all look the same.
I went with the grey color... Not a fan of the Kawasaki green.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	131642  
kballowe likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraranger View Post
Congratulations on the new Versys. I'm also new here and I'm looking to purchase a X 300 too.
I have had at least 50 bikes. Dirt bikes and street. Cruisers and sport bikes.

Never kept them long. There was always something that drove me crazy and I would trade for something else.

I bought a new Kawasaki KLR250 years ago and had issues with the bike including a water pump failure and electrical issues.
So I bought a Yamaha WR250R based on all the top notch suspension pieces. But just didn't like that bike. Noisy motor, seat to high. 1st gear way to tall for technical off road riding .... sold it...

Bought a 4 wheeler and figured dual purpose was over for me.

Years went by and I wanted something to explore dirt roads and easy trails.
I was all set to buy the Honda Rally. Really like the looks. But everything on the web said it was under powered and the suspension was to soft.
Considering I would spend more time on the pavement getting to the trails and the fact that I am getting to old to drag bikes out of mud holes etc...... the Versys x300 sounded to be the answer. A twin cyl bike on the dirt. Sounds to cool to be true.
And 100 times more fun on the pavement than a Honda 250 Rally.....

Hope you get one too....

Rob
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There's plenty of old Ninja 250s out there with lots of miles that still get blasted to their 14k RPM redline regularly.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
There's plenty of old Ninja 250s out there with lots of miles that still get blasted to their 14k RPM redline regularly.
Myife had a 250 ninja
I had that bike over 100 mph

I think what spooked me was on a Ninza forum there was lots of talk about buying motors off eBay
Seems the older motors with rocker arms were self destructing from top end failures.

The high RPM of the older 250s with rocker arms wore quickly

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode