Hi From Melbourne - Australia - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hi From Melbourne - Australia

Hey all..

New motorbike rider here - have just got my Motorbike Learners licence (easy) - convinced my wife i can get a bike (damn near impossible), so have been looking around and trying to figure out what I may like.

Being 6'5" tall and old enough to have a mid-life crisis I really want to get something big enough for me and with a bit more of a relaxed riding position than your average crotch rocket.

Was almost set on getting a Honda CB500x but have recently been considering a Versys (or possibly V-Strom) - so figured I would drop in and see what the general feedback is.

There are a couple of 2013 Versys for sale near me (one with 19000klms and one with 26000klms) and I am kind of figuring that this is pretty low mileage for one of these beasties.

Anyway - looking forward to hanging around!

Last edited by bigman66; 08-27-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
aboard!

I have an '08 w/ 75,xxx MILES in AZ, a '15 w/ 49,xxx kms here in BC, and HAD an '09 w/ 63,xxx kms. The '09 got "written-off" after a low-side on the Dempster Hwy near Inuvik, NWT, but I rode it BACK to BC, around 3 or 4K kms! ALL 650s.

GREAT bikes!

- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-31-2017 at 05:52 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the feedback! First bike and considering that I am on a restricted licence for at least 3 and a bit years - want to get a bike I am happy with for that length of time (I.e before I can go out and buy any damn thing I please)

Actually got my bike learners 30 years ago when I was in University - but couldn’t afford a bike.... So taken me a while to go again!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:52 PM

Well, for a biased opinion, you've come to the right place!

Now on my second Versys 650, total of a meagre 40,000 kms so far.

The PO of my (new-to-me) 2015 650L (LAMS) 'bike rode a number of IBA qualified rides in the 12,000 km he owned it, and on each ride was two-up, he 6', and his 10-yo nephew. Note that this was while the 'bike was still in 'restricted' form!

IMHO it will suit you just fine.

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The versys is forgiving bike for beginners..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:57 PM

Garage
BIGMANNNNNN

How we seem to be doing the same thing...

Not sure if you recall but i posted on your CB500 forum about stealing your CB on bikesales HAHA

Well guess what, i ended up getting a Versys and LOVE IT

If your considering new i can HIGHLY recommend Matt Jones Motorcycles in Melton, Richard there will look after you, tell him Jack sent you

added some pics of my beast to tempt you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File 21-8-17, 8 38 04 am.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	131138   Click image for larger version

Name:	File 21-8-17, 8 48 53 am.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	131146   Click image for larger version

Name:	File 21-8-17, 8 51 03 am.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	131154  

Last edited by Mrlinderman; 08-29-2017 at 12:08 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
HEya..

Yes - we are following each other around it seems.....

Still tossing up what I am wanting - but the extra power of the Versys is certainly tempting. Not as if the extra weight of the bike is going to be a problem for me.

Love to purchase new - but think it would probably be a bad idea (also the fact that I really don't have that kind of cash hanging around). Would be interested in knowing how much you paid for the 2107 Versys - but couldn't figure out if there was a private message facility on the board (shot you PM @ CB500x).

May drive out to melton and have a look @ Matt Jones Motorcycles anyway. Not a long way to go from ALtona:-)

Last edited by bigman66; 08-29-2017 at 12:36 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman66 View Post
HEya..

Yes - we are following each other around it seems.....

Still tossing up what I am wanting - but the extra power of the Versys is certainly tempting. Not as if the extra weight of the bike is going to be a problem for me.

Love to purchase new - but think it would probably be a bad idea (also the fact that I really don't have that kind of cash hanging around). Would be interested in knowing how much you paid for the 2107 Versys - but couldn't figure out if there was a private message facility on the board.

May drive out to melton and have a look @ Matt Jones Motorcycles anyway. Not a long way to go from ALtona:-)
I think we can only message each other after the 48hr thing has passed to stop spammers

It will depend on what deposit you can put down but i went with finance under Matt Jones and it was very competitive, i had a trade in so that helped i guess, I'm paying around $50/week for essentially a brand new bike (ex-demo model <200km) with OEM fog lights installed on top (waiting on them to arrive in AU) that was after a 4k trade in and 2k deposit, over 3 years

I though as the min i need to ride a Lams bike was 3 years why the hell not, i spend about $50 a week on junk food so its my way of loosing weight, no money for junk food now HAHA

Half Pom - Half Kiwi - All Nuts about Bikes
Versys 650L 2017 Black
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the feedback.

Have had a bit of a ride on a Versys now (admittedly 2013 model) - would dearly love to pick up a new one - but seriously done think that I can justify the $$ let along the months expenditure on a loan - not when it is effectively a toy.....

Looking at a 2013 model with 25K klms on it (so really just past it's second main service) - which realistically should see out my LAMS without a problem.

Even have the wife on board - although disappointed that I cannot carry pillions for at least 3 years.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 05:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman66 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Have had a bit of a ride on a Versys now (admittedly 2013 model) - would dearly love to pick up a new one - but seriously done think that I can justify the $$ let along the months expenditure on a loan - not when it is effectively a toy.....

Looking at a 2013 model with 25K klms on it (so really just past it's second main service) - which realistically should see out my LAMS without a problem.

Even have the wife on board - although disappointed that I cannot carry pillions for at least 3 years.
Yer but i can see why they did it. good luck finding the right bike mate, when you do and your up for a ride let me know

Half Pom - Half Kiwi - All Nuts about Bikes
Versys 650L 2017 Black
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bit the bullet bought a bike and actually made it home in one piece.19000klm on the clock so barely run in!
Now to get my ass out and practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3230_1505206590749.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	131985  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode