EX500 rider - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gary_a_gooner
  • 2 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By Urbanengineer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
EX500 rider

Hey guys,

Joined the forum sometime last week. I've always had an interest in the Versys but I ended up with an '09 EX500 last year. It's my first bike since I last rode in 2007. I'm an active member on the EX500 forum and look forward to learning more about the V here. I've set up an alert on craigslist for any V650s that get posted and but am in no real rush.

Thanks for having me!
CJRuffner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome. Was '09 the last year for the EX500?

The Versys will be a huge improvement in technology over the EX500. Frame, engine, suspension, fuel injection, etc.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_a_gooner View Post
Hey guys,

Joined the forum sometime last week. I've always had an interest in the Versys but I ended up with an '09 EX500 last year. It's my first bike since I last rode in 2007. I'm an active member on the EX500 forum and look forward to learning more about the V here. I've set up an alert on craigslist for any V650s that get posted and but am in no real rush.

Thanks for having me!
Hi I have the same username on ex500 as well although I seldom visit that forum these days as I no longer own my Ninja 500. Compared to the Ninja 500 you'll find the Versys better in pretty much every way, especially though in comfort.

You can download the service manual from the Tech Section of the the site.

Some issues to be aware of with Versys that are unique to bike:
* requires a rear pit stand and spools ($~50) to perform basic maintenance as there is no kick stand
* front and rear suspension is adjustable for preload and rebound so ride and handling can be improved with adjustment if you are over or under 150lb. Default setup is 150lb.
* wide array of custom fit, aftermarket accessories available
* three versions (mk1 2007-2009, mk2 2010-2014, mk 3 2015+).
aemacleod and gary_a_gooner like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-18-2017 at 11:28 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think I talked to you over on Ex500. Glad to hear you are looking into a Versys. Great bike that is good at just about everything, but not great at anything .

'09 was the final production year of the Ninja 500R, that is correct.
gary_a_gooner likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There is a really cheap Versys up for sale near me. Where are you located?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Ninja 500 was real good bike and very comfortable on twisters.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
There is a really cheap Versys up for sale near me. Where are you located?

I'm located in NYC. It it worth a fly and ride?!

I actually considered an FJ-09 for a bit. It's got a bit more power and features, but quite a few issues. Maybe I'm just a Kawi guy at heart. My first bike was a '06 ZX-6R (636), which was a mistake that I learned from. Now I've got this EX-500, that's basic, fun and pretty dependable as long as you keep up with maintenance.

Being in NYC, having 2 bikes is not very practical so the EX500's gotta go if I were to pick up a V650.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Curious as to what you consider "quite a few issues" with the FJ? Being a FZ-09 owner, I'm curious...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop View Post
Curious as to what you consider "quite a few issues" with the FJ? Being a FZ-09 owner, I'm curious...
Twitchy throttle/fueling (ECU related?), CCT, a recall (or 2?), oil drain plug getting smashed...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm located in NYC. It it worth a fly and ride?!

I actually considered an FJ-09 for a bit. It's got a bit more power and features, but quite a few issues. Maybe I'm just a Kawi guy at heart. My first bike was a '06 ZX-6R (636), which was a mistake that I learned from. Now I've got this EX-500, that's basic, fun and pretty dependable as long as you keep up with maintenance.

Being in NYC, having 2 bikes is not very practical so the EX500's gotta go if I were to pick up a V650.
I commute from Westchester to Greenwich Village, and there are about a half a dozen Versys I see on a regular basis around here. It's got a really good temper for the city, I think you'll be really pleased.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Twitchy throttle/fueling (ECU related?), CCT, a recall (or 2?), oil drain plug getting smashed...
Yeah ... Common concerns.
1.)2017 flash is very nice. The updated flash for 2015 > was nice improvement. I had my ECU flashed by 3rd party so no issues.
2.) CCT has been updated a couple times. Mine was completed no $$ by Yamaha.
3.) Drain plug on <2016 was in a bad spot for off roading. 2017 drain plugs are mounted sideways. Like the 17" wheeled Versys, these bikes are gravel roads only
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode