Hello from a new member of V brotherhood :) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By NightRider
  • 1 Post By andyversystheworld
  • 1 Post By Bale2011
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Cool Hello from a new member of V brotherhood :)

Hello everyone!

Just bought a brand new 2017 Versys 650 couple of days ago and I'm a happy camper.
Have to do the break-in so I'm taking it easy (not that I would take it hard anyway ) but can't wait to see what she can do.
Just thought I'd stop by and say hello.

Here we are (can you tell who's prettier? )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NightRider 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	127714   Click image for larger version

Name:	NightRider 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	127722  
turn8a, jruffner and CJRuffner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Greetings and welcome to the forum! Lots of good stuff here. Mine is about a two years old now and still love the mid weight touring bike. I followed the owners manual during the break in period. I reasoned you only get to do it once, and I don't get too many brand new toys, so it was fun. Ride safe and have fun!
aboyandhisversys likes this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, glad to be here!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dude,

That is a nice looking bike. Did it come with the top case?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome from Texas, USA.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
Hello everyone!

Just bought a brand new 2017 Versys 650 couple of days ago and I'm a happy camper.
Have to do the break-in so I'm taking it easy (not that I would take it hard anyway ) but can't wait to see what she can do.
Just thought I'd stop by and say hello.

Here we are (can you tell who's prettier? )
Awesome! My LT gets delivered tomorrow morning (Sat), same color! Question for you...how tall are you and how is the seat height? Do you plan to lower it?
NightRider likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Awesome! My LT gets delivered tomorrow morning (Sat), same color! Question for you...how tall are you and how is the seat height? Do you plan to lower it?
Hey man, sorry for the late reply I wasn't checking the forum for a few days.

I'm 1.73m tall (5.67ft) and I can't flatfoot it (I'm about ~5cm or ~2" off). I wasn't planning on lowering it initially because I can hold it on my toes, but it does require quite a bit of extra concentration whenever you're stopping or making slow maneuvers because if the weight shifts too quickly on one side you may not be able to hold it with your toes. I can flatfoot one leg while holding the other one on the peg, that's also an option to keep it steady but it takes practice and it can be a bit inconvenient.
Being able to flatfoot a motorcycle (especially these days when they make them on the heavy side) definitely adds to your confidence and stability, no doubt about it. And since you're not always going to have flat, paved terrain or good footing to stop on, uneven terrain/surface can be intimidating if you can't hold the bike rock steady.

I have to be honest I already laid it down once on each side when I released the clutch too fast (still getting used to it) and the weight shift caught me off guard. It was at a stand still so there wasn't any damage to the fairing at all, I only got a couple of scrapes on the handlebars, light scratches on turn signals and a busted clutch lever, but other than that it was painless (knock on wood).

So after that I began thinking maybe it would be better to lower the seat height so I can always have strong footing to hold the bike if it starts to lean due to one reason or another. I'm currently thinking of taking the stock seat to the upholsterer to shave off an inch of foam and see what happens. It's a cheaper and quicker solution and even 1" would mean a lot. I'm not really looking forward to having the suspension lowered because it's a fairly complicated procedure, involves a crapload of modifications and it's a lot more expensive.
On top of purchasing the lowering kit and bending the rear preload adjuster to the back to be able to install it, I also have to lower the front suspension and modify the side stand as well. So I have to purchase all these parts, pay to have them delivered to me and pay someone to lower front suspension since this is my first motorcycle and I don't want to mess with the forks at all. And then I have to cut the stock side stand too and install a custom one that I have to purchase separately. So I'm looking at a $400 price tag for all this, which is quite a lot for 2".
And if that isn't enough, I would also probably void my warranty in some way because I bought the bike brand new and it comes with a 2-year warranty.

So in the end, it's either a lot of practice or a lot of money. Kinda like the Game of Thrones - you either pay the iron price or the gold price.
But I'll have to ride it and practice more to be able to come to a final decision, that's honestly all I can tell you now.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyb8s View Post
Dude,

That is a nice looking bike. Did it come with the top case?
Thanks! No, I actually bought the top case and parts separately and they mounted it at the dealership for me.
It's a Kappa K46NT case and it also requires Kappa KR4114 rear rack and KM5M monolock plate, both sold separately.
It's an awesome case because it has a monolock system which allows you to detach the case with a push of a button while leaving the plate and rack mounted.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You sure look pretty happy beside the bike. Trust you enjoy your ride and be safe -ATGATT.
NightRider likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Hey, sorry for the late reply I wasn't checking the forum for a few days. I wrote a reply last night but it somehow got lost (it needed some moderator approval?) so I'm trying to recover that reply from memory.

I'm 1.73m tall (5'8") and I can't flatfoot it (I'm about ~5cm or ~2" off). I wasn't planning on lowering it because I can manage for now, but it does require extra concentration when stopping or making slow speed maneuvers because if the weight shifts too quickly you may not be able to hold it with your toes. I can flatfoot it on one side with the other foot resting on the peg though, but it does require a bit of practice and it can be inconvenient. Being able to flatfoot a motorcycle adds to your stability and confidence, no doubt about that (especially these days when they make them on the heavy side). Because you won't always have a level terrain or clean pavement to stop on and holding a motorcycle with your toes on tricky surfaces can be intimidating. It all comes down to practice and technique, I guess.

I have to be honest, I laid it down once on each side so far because I released the clutch too fast and the weight shift caught me off guard. I was able to ease it down somewhat and it was at a stand still so there was no damage to the bike other than some scrapes on each handlebar, some light scratches on turn signals and a broken clutch lever. Other than that, it was painless (knock on wood).

So after that I began thinking of lowering it. I was going to take the seat to the upholsterer and have him shave off an inch of foam and see how it goes, because even 1" means a lot. I wasn't going to modify the suspension because it's a pretty complicated procedure and it costs a lot more money. Not only do I have to buy the lowering kit and bend the rear preload adjuster backwards in order to have it installed, I also have to lower the front suspension and modify the side stand as well. So I have to buy all those parts and have them delivered to me, I have to pay someone to lower the front end because it's my first motorcycle and I don't want to mess with the forks at all, and I also have to cut the stock side stand and install a custom one. So I'm looking at a $400 price tag and that's a lot of money for 2". I would much rather spend those $400 on riding the bike.
Not to mention that I would probably void my warranty because it's a brand new bike and it has a 2-year warranty on it.

So it's either a lot of practice or a lot of money. Kinda like in the Game of Thrones - you either pay the iron price or the gold price.
Either way I'll have to ride it and practice more in order to make a final decision, because right now I honestly don't know.

Last edited by NightRider; 08-22-2017 at 10:28 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Caught in Spam Filter?????

Quote:

I'm 1.73m tall (5.67ft) and I can't flatfoot it (I'm about ~5cm or ~2" off). I wasn't planning on lowering it initially because I can hold it on my toes, but it does require quite a bit of extra concentration whenever you're stopping or making slow maneuvers because if the weight shifts too quickly on one side you may not be able to hold it with your toes. I can flatfoot one leg while holding the other one on the peg, that's also an option to keep it steady but it takes practice and it can be a bit inconvenient.
Being able to flatfoot a motorcycle (especially these days when they make them on the heavy side) definitely adds to your confidence and stability, no doubt about it. And since you're not always going to have flat, paved terrain or good footing to stop on, uneven terrain/surface can be intimidating if you can't hold the bike rock steady.

I have to be honest I already laid it down once on each side when I released the clutch too fast (still getting used to it) and the weight shift caught me off guard. It was at a stand still so there wasn't any damage to the fairing at all, I only got a couple of scrapes on the handlebars, light scratches on turn signals and a busted clutch lever, but other than that it was painless (knock on wood).

So after that I began thinking maybe it would be better to lower the seat height so I can always have strong footing to hold the bike if it starts to lean due to one reason or another. I'm currently thinking of taking the stock seat to the upholsterer to shave off an inch of foam and see what happens. It's a cheaper and quicker solution and even 1" would mean a lot. I'm not really looking forward to having the suspension lowered because it's a fairly complicated procedure, involves a crapload of modifications and it's a lot more expensive.
On top of purchasing the lowering kit and bending the rear preload adjuster to the back to be able to install it, I also have to lower the front suspension and modify the side stand as well. So I have to purchase all these parts, pay to have them delivered to me and pay someone to lower front suspension since this is my first motorcycle and I don't want to mess with the forks at all. And then I have to cut the stock side stand too and install a custom one that I have to purchase separately. So I'm looking at a $400 price tag for all this, which is quite a lot for 2".
And if that isn't enough, I would also probably void my warranty in some way because I bought the bike brand new and it comes with a 2-year warranty.

So in the end, it's either a lot of practice or a lot of money. Kinda like the Game of Thrones - you either pay the iron price or the gold price.
But I'll have to ride it and practice more to be able to come to a final decision, that's honestly all I can tell you now.
OK this is getting annoying, this was post 11, caught in the moderated post spam filter,1 more and I pull a work order to disable this. No way of knowing unless a mod checks the New Members forum, this is the 12th legit person to get caught since May 2017!!!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
OK this is getting annoying, this was post 11, caught in the moderated post spam filter,1 more and I pull a work order to disable this. No way of knowing unless a mod checks the New Members forum, this is the 12th legit person to get caught since May 2017!!!
LOL

Ok, let's compare them and see if my memory is worth a damn. haha

UPDATE
I did pretty good, eh?

Last edited by NightRider; 08-23-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Lol

Quote:
LOL

Ok, let's compare them and see if my memory is worth a damn. haha
Yes , just sounding off, the spam filter traps everything but, like I said, 1 more and I ask to disable it. Two new members never got past their first post, possibly gone forever. Actually I think I will pull a work order right now! LOL
NightRider likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Hey no worries. Looks like our bikes have the same color scheme (here's my thread -> http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...y-arrived.html). They look great!

For what it's worth, Motowerk (where you would buy the lowering kit) has some pretty easy instructions for lowering the front suspension (here -> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...57159767210442). I'll bet you could do it!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Hey no worries. Looks like our bikes have the same color scheme (here's my thread -> http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...y-arrived.html). They look great!

For what it's worth, Motowerk (where you would buy the lowering kit) has some pretty easy instructions for lowering the front suspension (here -> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...57159767210442). I'll bet you could do it!
I found your thread yesterday and put a like on it.
We got the twins, now we just need some female twins!

All jokes aside, I guess I could try but I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks for the link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode