Versys Rim Blues - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Versys Rim Blues

Hi Folks! This is my first post in this forum and I'll try and be succinct. Long story short, I have a bucket list trip planned to begin this Saturday with my sons- the Blue Ridge Parkway from stem to stern. Not a very big deal but huge in the scenic category. I am going with my three oldest sons, two of which ride very hard and very capably in the dirt but they had no ride capable of semi-long distance road work. I was thinking V-Strom but rode a Versys and became convinced this bike has excellent capabilities. It's perfect in most every respect that matters to me so I bought two very good 2008 versions (actually both bikes in excellent condition with very low mileage) and life was good.

Until I got the phone calls. One t-boned while going about 25 through red light looking at a map on his cell phone (how stupid is that?!) and the other tried to straighten out the very curvy road to my house after a fight with his girlfriend (again, how freaking stupid?). Both wrecks occurred within a week of each other and less than three weeks after I bought the bikes. Injuries were road rash for the lover and nothing for the map reader. So all good and no funerals. But look at the bikes! And the trip is looming!!!

Among a lot of other parts (closing in on $2,000), both rims are bent. One holds air but wabbles like hell and the other is a total write off. There are no new rims available in this country. Anywhere. Back ordered for Versys and Ninja with no idea when a new one(s) will be available. You can get a bent one from Ebay but I already know what bent ones do at 60+. So I ordered a couple of Chinese rims and I got what I paid for. The wheel bearings and hub take an axle that is larger than the stock version and they won't work as is. I have two days.

Question: The ID of the new hub and bearings is an inch. The OD of the axle is very close to 3/4 inch. I can get extruded aluminum tubing with an OD of one inch and can have the interior honed to 3/4 inch. Am I signing a death warrant for my sons if I think I can "sleeve" the axle? The ends of the sleeve would be on the bearings and I'd use the stock spacers. You think that's crazy?

Thanks very much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forums. Personally, I don't think your sons are ready for a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway where you are so tempted to sight see instead of riding your ride. Sounds like they both have distraction problems and there are decreasing radius turns, cliffs, etc. But hey, that is not what you are asking.

I am going to say providence has put this roadblock in your path and may have just saved your sons lives.

Good luck. If you would have bought a couple old sportsters you would have spare wheels all over the place.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

I am going to say providence has put this roadblock in your path and may have just saved your sons lives.

Well said, sometime we ask where is god, well sometime he does talk to us through some form which we never take time to understand.

You really need to take a back seat and think......

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Agree with the sentiments that they aren't ready for that type of trip. They are very, very lucky to not have been injured worse or killed. Motorcycling takes respect, it sounds like they haven't learned that lesson; hopefully this is a wake-up call.

How badly are the rims bent? Will's Rim Repair may be able to straighten them out. This is the latest contact info I could find: email is [email protected] phone# 864-329-7671 Address is Wills Rim Repair 416 Winding Brook Ct. Greenville SC 29617

Just noted you said one was a write-off, but maybe some of them can be fixed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome From Canada

to the forum. Some very good advice just given, if the back wheel, well I have had blow outs on the rear at 70MPH , that was when tubes were used, improperly mounted tire and the tube blew. Neither the bike or I suffered any injury, patched the tube and remounted the tire, luckily a small garage mechanic in the middle of no where. A front blow out is a whole different situation, never heard of coming to a controlled stop with a front blow out. Same with a speed wobble, usually ends in a crash.
funflyingguy likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:41 AM

You want to put a soft filler between a hard axle and a hard bearing race? I don't think so.
You want to take your sons on an adventure before they know what it takes to not get creamed in traffic? Again, I don't think so.
I've played on the BRP in cars & have reduced my wife to silence and plan on doing it on a bike, but in small bites. It's a fun ride but you gots to pay attention all the time.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM

Agree with Blackdog, I wouldn't sleeve the axle. And you said you only have 2 days? So you'd have no time to test if your axle sleeve worked before embarking on a long trip? That's a recipe for disaster. Trying to fix a bike in a rush right before a long trip is always a mistake; trying to McGyver a part makes it a bigger mistake. Just my opinion.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

, but I'm w/ the others - PROBABLY be disastrous to do the trip before they LEARN how to ride correctly.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Garage
If you have rather large life insurance policies on your boys...Enjoy the trip....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
'08 Versys 650 engine swap

Hi Folks! Been a member for a couple of years but this is my first post. I bought my son a cherry 2008 Versys 650 a couple of years ago and, naturally, he blew it up. Loud lower end knock resulting from a lack of respect for the theory of engine oil. What is oil? Hmmmm.

Great bike and I have too much invested to walk away so I have "reposessed" it on the grounds of it being an excellent spare for riding buddies and a rule recorded in Tennessee Code Annotated that states: "At 22 years of age, you are too freaking old to keep pulling this STUPID S#IT!" Now I am looking at good Versys/Ninja motors on Ebay and such.

Question: Anybody know of a "how to" video that would help me avoid ham fisted mistakes on the bike tear down and engine swap? Thanks.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Swapping out Motor / Need Help

Well a resident expert would be ;

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...19-versys.html

The biggest challenge would be the electrics and primarily the ECU, most sensors and electrics used on the Versys are compatible with the Ninja, such as the fan , what I don't know is if the crankshaft position sensor is, however since you have the original motor , you should be able to swap all the sensors over. However I personally would ask jdrocks , he is the closest thing to a expert you will ever find.I might add if you follow his bike build thread, he shows the easier way of installing or removing the motor.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-06-2019 at 11:46 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts250savage View Post
...Hi Folks! Been a member for a couple of years but this is my first post....
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Hi Folks! This is my first post in this forum and I'll try and be succinct...

One t-boned ... and the other tried to straighten out the very curvy road...
and

Quote:
Hi Folks! Been a member for a couple of years but this is my first post. I bought my son a cherry 2008 Versys 650 a couple of years ago and, naturally, he blew it up...
I dunno, but my BS detector is wailing right now...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you onewizard! Kawasaki ought to give jdrocks a call. The bikes on that thread are super cool! I'll most certainly dig into his methods when I'm ready to dive in. Fortunately, Versys motors look sort of available. Ninja conversion may not be necessary. Have ordered a Cyclepedia shop/service manual for '07 to '14 bikes but a vid is a priceless tool when a boy who has been raised on Clymer's knows that there are blurbs in print that go: Step 3- Warning! Locate, remove, rebuild or replace the diostat. Or, they forgot Step 3. Great looking source!

And, Mr. brwster, I have an update. I forgot I posted that thing about the bent rims and the Blue Ridge Pkwy. The trip was coming fast and I didn't take time to check for replies. Unfortunately, all of that pre-trip stuff is true. One boy got lit up and tried to make a curve go straight and the other packed into a Caddy Lac while celling. One, the Caddy kisser, learned. The other? Well, his/my bike is the subject hereto. The rim story turned out excedingly well. I bought the China rims and had a local machine shop press bearings that had dems that fit the new rims as well as the axles and things still spin swimmingly. Also, nobody got killed or even hurt on the trip and we had a blast! I feel serious guilt that people were praying. Ayyyyyy.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:16 PM

mr savage, yup, I should've checked the post's dates. In any case, regarding your sons, 2 have reckless collisions and 1 runs his bike out of oil? That's not just bad luck. Should they try a safer hobby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode