Fly-n-Ride to pick up my new-to-me '09 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CO-or-bust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fly-n-Ride to pick up my new-to-me '09 Versys

One-way flight to Vegas, on to St. George, Utah to pick up my new (8 year old) gorgeous, PRISTINE '09 with Happy Trails Teton 9" aluminum panniers, a sweet Baldwin seat, etc. Then it's up the coast of CA, OR, WA, then down thru ID, MT, WY, and CO. After all that, it'll be a ramble back to NJ. About 16 days for this trek. Should give me a pretty good feel for her, after about 5,000+ miles or so... CANNOT WAIT!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index_1498354134779.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	123602  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Thats going to be one heck of a first ride....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 PM

That's awesome!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum!! And that should be a awesome ride, make sure you go over everything before starting, adjust your clutch and rear brake free play, check chain slack, make sure your kick stand switch works,these are just a few important things, also your gas tank lock functions easily.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
That is a lot of trust that the current owner did all the maintenance and did it correctly. Hope it works out for you and you have a great and memorable adventure. I have flown and rode new bikes home, but have not yet done that with a used one.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the "Welcome" posts. And yes, "twowheeladdict", that "is a lot of trust that the current owner did all of the maintenance and did it correctly"...

I'm buying it off of a guy on Advrider.com. It is his 78 year old father's bike, owned since new and maintained by the local Kawi dealer. His Dad finally decided that it's just a bit too big and heavy to handle these days --- but he went out and replaced it already with a scooter --- love this guy!!! It has never seen a drop of rain, stays on a battery tender in a climate controlled garage (new battery installed 2 months ago too), has probably $1,800 worth of aftermarket goodies, and again, is in PRISTINE shape!

After multiple e-mails, I spoke on the phone with the Seller (the son) for over an hour. He and his Dad love the idea that I'm doing a Fly-n-Ride so much that they are having the Kawi dealer install a brand new rear tire (the front is in excellent shape) and give it another once over. They are also shipping a rear wheel stand, a custom cover, and a few other small things to my home, at their expense. This guy is even picking me up in Las Vegas, on his way back home to St. George Utah, from San Diego, and we are going to go over the bike and then I'm going to stay with him and his family for the night, before an early start the next morning to beat (at least some of) the heat. He really does not seem like he could be a much nicer guy/seller --- so, yes your right, I do have "a lot of trust"...

Of course my good buddy here at home ASSURES me that this guy is really a Nevada desert Meth dealer, in the vain of the show "Breaking Bad"

Here's hoping that my "trust" is well-placed! I honestly believe that it is...

Last edited by CO-or-bust; 06-25-2017 at 05:37 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-or-bust View Post
Thanks to all for the "Welcome" posts. And yes, "twowheeladdict", that "is a lot of trust that the current owner did all of the maintenance and did it correctly"...

I'm buying it off of a guy on Advrider.com. It is his 78 year old father's bike, owned since new and maintained by the local Kawi dealer. His Dad finally decided that it's just a bit too big and heavy to handle these days --- but he went out and replaced it already with a scooter --- love this guy!!! It has never seen a drop of rain, stays on a battery tender in a climate controlled garage (new battery installed 2 months ago too), has probably $1,800 worth of aftermarket goodies, and again, is in PRISTINE shape!

After multiple e-mails, I spoke on the phone with the Seller (the son) for over an hour. He and his Dad love the idea that I'm doing a Fly-n-Ride so much that they are having the Kawi dealer install a brand new rear tire (the front is in excellent shape) and give it another once over. They are also shipping a rear wheel stand, a custom cover, and a few other small things to my home, at their expense. This guy is even picking me up in Las Vegas, on his way back home to St. George Utah, from San Diego, and we are going to go over the bike and then I'm going to stay with him and his family for the night, before an early start the next morning to beat (at least some of) the heat. He really does not seem like he could be a much nicer guy/seller --- so, yes your right, I do have "a lot of trust"...

Of course my good buddy here at home ASSURES me that this guy is really a Nevada desert Meth dealer, in the vain of the show "Breaking Bad"

Here's hoping that my "trust" is well-placed! I honestly believe that it is...
If you can, keep us posted. There are more good people out there than bad.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I bought a used bike...........13 years old with low mileage.....flew to Co. to get it and then rode to SD. From there I rode it to WA.........just north of Seattle. I had to put a new front tire on it in Co. and should have put a new rear on also (none in stock). Also installed a new battery. Put a new speedo cable on in SD. Stopped in MT and put on a new rear and rode on to Wa....

A nice ride...........I bought the bike from my brother though, so I had a good record of the maintenance. Still interesting doing that kind of ride on someones word.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If you can, keep us posted. There are more good people out there than bad.
Sure, no problem! Hopefully it will NOT be a horror story that I report back with... Again, I don't think that it will be.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Dang. You have me beat. My first ride on my 09 was 2,100 miles home. Sounds like an awesome trip.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Okay, I'm back! After flying from NJ to Vegas and my 19 day, 6,132 mile Fly-n-Ride trek through UT, NV, CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, SD, MN, WI, MI, OH, PA, and finally back home to NJ, I can report that my "faith" in the Seller (as questioned and noted above...) and the bike were well founded.

I was right. The Seller, and his family, could not have been nicer. They picked me up in Vegas on their way back from San Diego to their BEAUTIFUL home in St. George, Utah. We went over the bike, installed the rear wheel that we picked up from having the new rubber installed, balanced, etc. by the local Kawi dealer, hard-wired my Garmin 590, and figured out how to load up all of my camping gear, etc.... After a great dinner, a few cold beers, and a good amount of general MC BS, I hit the road early the next morning.

106*, and once or twice at 110mph, across "The Extraterrestrial Highway" in the NV desert was a great way to test out my new-to-me bike, right??? My excitement about the new bike, the trek I had ahead of me, the loneliness of the vast and hot desert, apparently made me brain-dead, as I was thinking of a 55mpg'ish type range, which would/should have been fine. But with about 35 miles to go to the next gas station, and thanks to my heavy-handed throttle, I noticed the "low fuel" flashing on my dash. I had NO idea of how long it had been on, how much fuel might be left, how many miles I could go, etc. so I quickly dropped from my 90+mph rate (speed limit was 80, so it's not like I was going crazy or anything...) down to a plodding 35mph and limped into town... I have to dig out the receipt, but I believe I put 4.7 gallons into her. After this little episode, I was MUCH more conscious of my throttle, distances, fuel stops, etc.

Anyway, enough of the details... Suffice it to say that she performed beautifully, over the course of a pretty long, and pretty hard-riding trek, across deserts, up the West Coast and then across the country, with LOTS of mountain passes, winding, twisting, sweeping backroads and riding along rivers, etc. Yup, snuck in Yosemite, Crater Lake, Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Badlands. Not to mention TONS of other SPECTACULAR sights along the way --- riding both south to north, then turning around and riding it again north to south, over Bear Tooth Pass just after exiting the northeast entrance/exit of Yellowstone, quickly followed up by Chief Joseph's Hwy and Dead Indian Pass was clearly one of my TOP Riding experiences of my life! Oh, and if you ever get the pleasure of doing this ride, BE SURE to immediately continue on through Cody, WY over Hwy 14 over The Bighorn Mt's and on into Sheridan, WY --- WOW!!!!!

Well, my new little 650 handled the cross-country trek JUST FINE!

Thanks, Guys, and it's good to be a new part of this Forum.....
twowheels and twowheeladdict like this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Fly-n-Ride to pick up my new-to-me '09 Versys

Caught in Spam/ moderated post

Last edited by onewizard; 08-09-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Great trip! Any pics?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome to the nut house, glad you made your trip and had fun if your ever in the oregon area again hit me up

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-or-bust View Post
One-way flight to Vegas, on to St. George, Utah to pick up my new (8 year old) gorgeous, PRISTINE '09 with Happy Trails Teton 9" aluminum panniers, a sweet Baldwin seat, etc. Then it's up the coast of CA, OR, WA, then down thru ID, MT, WY, and CO. After all that, it'll be a ramble back to NJ. About 16 days for this trek. Should give me a pretty good feel for her, after about 5,000+ miles or so... CANNOT WAIT!!!
* Another option for picking up a bike is UHaul rents motorcycle trailers for <$20/day. You are required to supply your own hold down straps however. UHaul will sell you these at a huge mark up or you can buy them cheap at Harbor Freight/Princess Auto.

* Another option is UShip.com. Shippers use this service to fill trucks and it is usually cheaper than regular shipping channels.

There is a known issue with windshield rattle/buzz (with aftermarket shields) on the 07-09 caused by the curved shield hitting the side of the windshield supports. A little adhesive foam tape, used for weather stripping placed between vibrating panels, will cure this if it is a problem. Have someone rev engine until buzz occurs (usually 5-6K RPM) and apply hand pressure to various parts until buzzing component is identified. There is also a known issue with upper dash panel buzzing (actually tab on this panel) with vibration on Gen 1 bikes which is also an easy fix. See many threads on this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-09-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode