Picked up a 2016 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By RealBigTuna
  • 3 Post By penwright1166

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Picked up a 2016 Versys

Hey all, just picked up a 2016 Versys today. I'm 6'1 with a 34 inch inseam and 180 lbs. The bike fits like a glove. Looking forward to packing on some miles.

I have some experience with dirt bikes but this is my first street bike. Have had my M license for around 8 years but never used it. Back at the time I got my M license, I bought a 2004 mach 1 mustang and set it up for road course track days. Great time, but expensive hobby. Sold that last summer and went without a vehicle for a little over a year and couldn't take it anymore so finally caved and picked this up.

Cross shopped it with a Yamaha FJ-09 which is hardly a cross shop. The Yamaha is SO much more bike. But for $2k less, I couldn't pass up getting the Versys seeing as this is my first street bike. I'm more comfortable on it as well being a little bit taller. Its far less twitchy than the Yamaha, coming from a new rider. Living in Chicago, I have to ride a good hour or so on the highway before I even get to some good roads, so comfort is everything. I also plan on taking some longer trips as I get better as a rider.

The bike has plenty of power for me. Mirrors are great, I can see everything behind me without issue. I get the most nervous at stop lights with people pulling up behind me on their cell phones, so this helps quite a bit. Can also see over most cars with how high the Versys sits, which is also a huge plus.

Have the color matched hard bags on order. I'll probably also do a windscreen visor (Puig?) and some hand guards. Would also like to get an accessory outlet on the bike (this is a must). Any suggestions here? What are some of your other favorite mods for this bike?

I live in the Chicago area so if anyone is trying to do some weekend riding, or potentially some longer trips in the midwest hit me up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-3.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	125674  

Last edited by RealBigTuna; 08-07-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM

Welcome I also have a 2016 versys 650 abs. When installing outlet you will need the relay if you use the hasness in front. I didn't go with the kawasaki hard cases there to small at 28liter and to expensive I bought the kappa side cases there a little bigger at 33l also bought a good used shad 46 top case. I took it on a 3000 mile round trip ride to NY camping 2 nights. 25 hour ride back as my tent broke and budget got screwed over in ny Long story was suppose to be a 6000 mile ride. Everyone says tires suck for milage. I have 9000 miles on mine and I'd say at least another 1500 left. As for chain it's time for mine. But it's not bad enough to change now will do it when tires are done. Seat is a bit rough on long rides I had to stop every 80 90 miles for a butt and cigerette break. Bike will handel 70 mph all day long. Well enjoy.
Thxs Sam Crystal River Fl.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 03:22 PM

Garage
Welcome, this forum is a great place to get good info! I have the same exact bike. I wasn't sold on the color at first but its growing on me and I get a lot of compliments on it. I agree 100% the Versys is a great bike for the money. Plenty of power when you need it and great for touring. I plan on doing some long distance rides next year so I plan to get a Russell Day Long seat. Expensive, but since I'm keeping this bike for a long time it will be worth it. Mine was an LT so I have the matching hard bags and I'm happy with them! So far I love this bike! Like you said, it fits like a glove!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome. You can download service manual from TECH Section of site. Suggest cheap rear pit stand and cheap 8mm spools from EBAY.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info will look into the spools. I like the color as well. Hard to miss which is the whole idea . Thanks for the heads up on the service manual. I'm sure that will come in handy soon enough as I'll be doing most of the wrenching myself.

Anyone have a tank bag or cell mount they like?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealBigTuna View Post
Anyone have a tank bag or cell mount they like?
The two Givi options for an exact fit on the Versys 650 are the Givi 3D 603 (smaller) and Givi XS320 (larger). There are also some other makes and models that will fit the Versys. You need to be careful with tank bags though as well over 50% have a poor fit on the bike and may impair handle bar movement or block instruments. Having compared these to the OEM tank bag I have to say both are better quality and better designed IMO.

I'm a big fan of tank ring attachment tank bags because they are secure mounting and easy on and off in seconds, plus don't scratch up your tank paint. I have the Givi 603 and really like it. It is water resistant without a cover due to it's firm but flexible plastic construction and enhances, IMO, the appearance of the bike. As with anything cheaper is not always better.

For phone mounts I would start with a RAM ball mount (B-367U) which typically retails for $10-15. This attaches to the handle bar clamp replacing the top, left bolt - to avoid blocking dash or rubbing on tank bag. To this you can add an extension and X-Grip or similar type mount. WebBikeWorld recently reviewed phone mounts. You can also purchase a RAM ball windshield mount for your car and use the same phone mount both in your car and on your bike. If you don't have one, a blue tooth helmet headset enhances the functionality of a phone on a bike as it allows you to get GPS voice prompts (really nice as you wont be distracted by having to constantly look at phone), music and phone functionality. Running a phone on the bike will also require a 12V socket with USB adapter or a USB jack as constantly displaying maps will run down the phone battery quickly. Phones require a 2.1 amp jack and not all USB jacks and adapters sold are the 2.1 amp variety. There are also a few custom fit GPS mounts made to specifically fit the Versys.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-10-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations. Will def check those tank bags out when I decide to pick one up. For now, just going to use the bags I purchased with the bike. Will pick up a tank bag later this fall.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
enjoy your ride and be safe - ATGATT.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! XS320

Welcome to the forum. KVF is an excellent place to get your questions answered.
I have the xs320 tank bag from givi. It is an awesome bag. If you install heated grips, the controller for the factory grips is activated by the bag every time you go left lock in a parking lot. Clearance issue. The bag is awesome but will sag onto tank if loaded. Protect the paint. It is hyper convenient though and built like a tank. (Ha! Geddit?)
Cheers!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode