New Rider on Forum :) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By Diz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Diz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Rider on Forum :)

Hi everyone!

First of all allow me to introduce myself. You can call me Diz, I'm from Romania - Eastern Europe. I'm 24 and just got my driver's license for motorcycles. I have little experience on motorcycle (the first time I rode one was a couple of months ago. I have dreamed to own and ride a motorcycle since I was a kid and now that dream is possible .

I am in an bit of a dilemma right now. I was looking for a bike that I can use as a commuter (not everyday but at least a few times per week), one that I can make long distance trips and use it for touring and that can handle a little off-road (nothing big, just country roads and maybe old dusty roads; but nothing like big rocks or mountain climbing xD).
The First bike that I saw was a Versys '08 and despite being and ugly duck it had something beautiful around it. I saw some reviews and decided that this will be in my top list. However, after I made some more research, I found about other models, such as Yamaha XT660Z Tenere (again from 2008-2010). After a couple of reviews and videos it took the 1st place from Versys. Now I feel like Versys is the one for me as I'll stick at least 80% on the road (at least for now). I'd like to take the bike through Europe and I saw that it can take a beating going off-road too. Also the Teneres in my country aren't that appealing as I've checked some. I couldn't manage to look at a Versys so far, but I'll see one in a few days, a model from 2006.

And now to my questions:

1. How's Versys off-road and on-road from your experience?
2. Do you recommend this bike as an all-rounder?
3. What big problems did you encounter with your bikes?
4. What do you suggest: Tenere or Versys? Tenere is more off-road but I'm thinking of keeping the bike I'm buying and using it as much as I can. This means that I'll want to make some road trips outside of Europe too and I'll might hit the sand Dunes .
5. How's the bike for a beginner rider?
6. How is the ABS for the old Versys? I heard that it does the job but it is not as good as the new models ABS and that it is something not consider on a '06 Versys.

I forgot to mention that I cannot afford to buy a new Versys or any bike model as brand new so I'll buy one already used. Also the 2016+ Versys looks great, unfortunately I cannot afford it even used so I'll stick with one of the first models.

Thank you for your time.
Ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Diz

Hi everyone!

First of all allow me to introduce myself. You can call me Diz, I'm from Romania - Eastern Europe. I'm 24 and just got my driver's license for motorcycles. I have little experience on motorcycle (the first time I rode one was a couple of months ago. I have dreamed to own and ride a motorcycle since I was a kid and now that dream is possible .

I am in an bit of a dilemma right now. I was looking for a bike that I can use as a commuter (not everyday but at least a few times per week), one that I can make long distance trips and use it for touring and that can handle a little off-road (nothing big, just country roads and maybe old dusty roads; but nothing like big rocks or mountain climbing xD).
The First bike that I saw was a Versys '08 and despite being and ugly duck it had something beautiful around it. I saw some reviews and decided that this will be in my top list. However, after I made some more research, I found about other models, such as Yamaha XT660Z Tenere (again from 2008-2010). After a couple of reviews and videos it took the 1st place from Versys. Now I feel like Versys is the one for me as I'll stick at least 80% on the road (at least for now). I'd like to take the bike through Europe and I saw that it can take a beating going off-road too. Also the Teneres in my country aren't that appealing as I've checked some. I couldn't manage to look at a Versys so far, but I'll see one in a few days, a model from 2006.

And now to my questions:

1. How's Versys off-road and on-road from your experience?
2. Do you recommend this bike as an all-rounder?
3. What big problems did you encounter with your bikes?
4. What do you suggest: Tenere or Versys? Tenere is more off-road but I'm thinking of keeping the bike I'm buying and using it as much as I can. This means that I'll want to make some road trips outside of Europe too and I'll might hit the sand Dunes .
5. How's the bike for a beginner rider?
6. How is the ABS for the old Versys? I heard that it does the job but it is not as good as the new models ABS and that it is something not consider on a '06 Versys.

I forgot to mention that I cannot afford to buy a new Versys or any bike model as brand new so I'll buy one already used. Also the 2016+ Versys looks great, unfortunately I cannot afford it even used so I'll stick with one of the first models.

Thank you for your time.
Ride safe!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum, first year Versys was made was 2007, ABS was optional only in the UK.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome Diz,

Here are my thoughts in answer to your questions. Yes, I would recommend the Versys as an all-rounder. I do not believe it is too powerful or so heavy that it would be a bad choice for a "beginner." In my opinion, one of the best things about the Versys is that you will not outgrow it quickly, if at all.

It is big enough to ride comfortably on long trips but not so big that it is difficult to handle. My 2008 Versys weighs 475 pounds (about 216 kilos) and that's heavy enough for me. The Tenere on the other hand weighs about as much as a medieval church. I would not buy a Tenere for the same reason I would not buy a BMW G/S - both weigh too much for me to feel comfortable with. I'm 48 years older than you, I weigh 95 kilos and am 178 centimeters tall with short legs.

I've owned my Generation One Versys for about six years and I have not had a single problem, either big or small. It has been as reliable as a hammer. It does not have ABS but none of my motorcycles (except my K75S) has ABS, so it is not an issue for me. And with the proper tires the Versys can be an acceptable off road machine for the kind of riding you spoke of.

And even though some people believe the Generation One Versys is ugly, it is not as ugly as the Generation Two model. The important point is you can't see the front of the motorcycle while sitting on the saddle. It is not important what others might think - you will be riding a very reliable, very versatile, and very capable all round motorcycle.

I hope this will help you in making your decision. Good luck and ride safely no matter what you decide to buy.
onewizard and aemacleod like this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 08-04-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Diz

Thank you for the replies and thank you Arion for your thoughts.

I checked a Versys yesterday and I was really impressed with the bike. It looks really great, better than in photos, definitely not ugly anymore. The 2nd Generation is uglier indeed .
It moves great the engine is really beautiful. I'm very pleased how it works and by the design. I sticking with the Versys so far.
I'm about 1.93 m tall and about 70 kg, pretty skinny. Being tall sure is an advantage as I'm very stable and I can plant my feet on the ground with no problem. The seat is very comfortable which is a great thing, but I've heard so in many reviews.

I'll come back a few days and write my decision, most probably the Versys as I'm going to see another mode from Versys (1st gen too).

This bike got into me months ago but never had the opportunity to see one in person . I'm glad that I checked one out.

Take care!
aemacleod likes this.

Last edited by Diz; 08-06-2017 at 11:38 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a first time rider too, using a 2016 V650. To go by numbers:

1) On-road I couldn't ask for more. The only problems I've gotten into are because I was being stupid - nothing bad so far, just me learning how to ride properly. The Versys is very forgiving. Off-road doesn't feel very good. I have only done a few miles of gravel roads on the stock tires, and I wasn't really comfortable going over 40 km/h. Any sharp turns or higher speeds would make me really nervous. Heavy packed dirt is okay, but I still don't like going very fast on it as a beginner.
2) I've used the Versys commuting into NYC and doing up to 400 km day trips. Haven't done any multiple day trips yet. Extremely fun in the twisties and I have no complaints on the highway at any speeds that won't get you thrown in jail. It does well on poorly maintained roads, too.
3) My biggest problem is having to go to work, too much rain, not enough clear days.
4) You know what your needs are and how you will use the bike best. For me, the Tenere wouldn't be that useful because I have to drive at least an hour before I can get to anywhere that's legal to ride off road. I suspect Romania is a lot less strict about how you ride off road than New York State. If you're planning on going from Romania to somewhere that has sand dunes, enjoy the trip!
5) I love the Versys as a beginner bike. I am 179 cm and 90 kg, I can flat foot the bike with a little bit of effort, but other than that the power feels great. The only beginner issue I've had is that the engine brake seems pretty powerful and drops the front forks if you accidentally let off too hard.
6) Don't know about the old ABS.

Good luck on your decision!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Hi l'm new to this forum. Have been riding mostly in the UK and Europe since 1973. Have a Yam XT 600E and a 2016 Versys 650 I use both bikes regularly, the Yam around town and the Kawasaki for longer runs. Have done just over 6000 miles on it now. Owned both from new. Bye for now. Poky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Poky
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Hi Diz,
The 650 Versys makes a great tourer. Its fast and comfortable enough to handle decent roads all day. Its light and narrow enough to weave through heavy traffic, except in Holland where they get upset with that I've heard, and has a good range.
Riding carefully when running mine in for the first 500 mls I got 65mpg. Not so good now cos I'm riding faster but possible if required. Off road although its KLE ancestry shows and with knobblies it would be fine for campsites and the rides you have described, but I would hesitate to use a bike on long dirt roads and then have to trust it under me in fast rush hour traffic, which you will end up in, with a 40 tonner right behind. Just a thought. Take care. Poky
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...And even though some people believe the Generation One Versys is ugly, it is not as ugly as the Generation Two model. The important point is you can't see the front of the motorcycle while sitting on the saddle....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The versys is forgiving bike if you don't push it too much. I came back after a by pass surgery and got a 09 versys and have done cross country rides- not sand dunes, but fair rough roads in Cambodia and the versys never have let me down. Highly recommended for a beginner. Good luck.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Diz

Cool

Back with NEWS!

So it took some days (weeks) to finish paperwork for this beauty. The previous owner was not from Bucharest (my city) and he had to make some trips to his region to get all the papers.

Tomorrow I'll receive all the papers for her from the registration bureau (state ownership, what ever the term - I'm not fluent English).

My first ride with her was this morning from my office to home and man it feels so smooth and very responsive. It is forgiving indeed. It has a lot of power too, she handles curves well and I can't wait to get of it back.

Below are some pics with the foxy lady . Also I got her a cover to keep the sun rays away, and possible wind /rain and pigeon "marks".

PS: my helmet arrives in about one week and I had to borrow a helmet from a friend. I'll be on vacation from Saturday to Wednesday so that's just fine. MAN can't wait to ride again <3

Stay safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	129538   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	129546   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	129554  

Last edited by Diz; 08-23-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode