Is this stator burnt? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is this stator burnt?

(I'm not sure where else to post, since this is only my second post )

Last week I got stranded at the gas station. My '08 Versys (28k miles) wouldn't start, even though I left with a fully charged battery in the morning. After a battery charge, it started again without problems.

Checks I did:

* With the motorcycle off, the battery reads 12.6 V
* At idle the battery reads 11.9 V. Revving doesn't change the voltage
* Alternator output at 4000 rpm is about 5 V (AC), between any combination of the three leads, while it should be over 42 V, right? Revving doesn't really change the voltage.
* Resistance between any combination of the alternator leads is about .6 to .7 ohm.

So I took off the alternator cover and this is the stator I saw. Could that black piece over there be the cause of the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	125290   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	125298   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Copy.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	125306  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
that black spot looks like where all the smoke is leaking out.
I tried an aftermarket unit that was cheaper (and looked cheaper) and had the cheap plug melt.
I now have and oem stator back in my bike.
ymmv
not an expert
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritual View Post
(I'm not sure where else to post, since this is only my second post )

Last week I got stranded at the gas station. My '08 Versys (28k miles) wouldn't start, even though I left with a fully charged battery in the morning. After a battery charge, it started again without problems.

Checks I did:

* With the motorcycle off, the battery reads 12.6 V
* At idle the battery reads 11.9 V. Revving doesn't change the voltage
* Alternator output at 4000 rpm is about 5 V (AC), between any combination of the three leads, while it should be over 42 V, right? Revving doesn't really change the voltage.
* Resistance between any combination of the alternator leads is about .6 to .7 ohm.

So I took off the alternator cover and this is the stator I saw. Could that black piece over there be the cause of the problem?
to the forum and to the burnt stator club

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Options

FYI your stator is toast

You have 3 options:
#1 If you have a bike wrecker around, take the stator with you, a KLR 650, Ninja 650 some years , will all fit and are identical as to Delta connected and turns ratio is the same. The stator you posted is one of the first MK-1 designs. if you could, can you post a picture of the other side of the stator, particularly around the area of the leads. I have included a few links, with pictures and will explain here what to look for in a used stator. Newer versions changed the location of the crossover connections to what I refer to as the back of the stator, which is the side you have posted, and had only the delta connections on the front ( front being lead connection side). The reason is it was discovered that expansion and contraction of the copper caused a short between the delta line connections and the crossovers. By moving the crossovers to the back, 15 connections were moved.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...1-post299.html this is a MK-1 like yours, failed at the delta connection, short between a line connection and power pole crossover connection. look for a stator like this one; http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...6-post188.html the lead/ power connections are closest to his hand, the side shown is the same side as your picture or what I refer to as back, but this one has the crossover connections on it.And that is what you want, also if buying used, make sure they have tested it using a LCR meter or can prove it works.

#2 Buy a new aftermarket china stator ( which is Y or star connected and has roughly 65% of the copper that a Delta has because they cheated and didn't change the wire size equal to two 18 gauge wires of the Delta but stuck with a single 18 gauge per lead out. Typical price for $100, and install a used Polaris series regulator, total out of pocket should be around $225 Canadian , this will last equal to or better than a new OEM Delta stator with shunt regulator. One seller of these on Ebay and in Quebec is RMstator, you get what you pay for. The reason this works is explained by me in one of my Polaris threads in How To forum.Just buying the China stator, expect it to fail within a 2 year period, again the reason why it works using a Polaris series regulator has been explained by me.

#3 Buy a OEM stator for around $400 , possibly you may also need a new POS shunt regulator, and expect this to also fail at some point due to the shunt regulator.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
that black spot looks like where all the smoke is leaking out.
I tried an aftermarket unit that was cheaper (and looked cheaper) and had the cheap plug melt.
I now have and oem stator back in my bike.
ymmv
not an expert
Thanks! Which aftermarket stator did you buy, and how long did it last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
FYI your stator is toast

You have 3 options: ...
Thanks for responding! I'll definitely have a look at the links and the posts you mentioned.
I took some photos of the other side of the stator. It looks quite charred.

I will also have a look where I could buy an aftermarket stator around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	125330   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	125338   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	125354   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	125362  

Last edited by ritual; 08-05-2017 at 09:04 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

After market

Quote:

Thanks for responding! I'll definitely have a look at the links and the posts you mentioned.

First thanks for posting, if you remove the mounting clamp, expect to find possibly one wire burnt off from one of the leads, this is were the short occured, this is a very common thing on the OEM stators before they changed the crossovers to the back of the stator.

As to aftermarket, many are Y connected , the way to know is to look for 3 magnet wires joined in between two of the poles, also the spacing between poles is larger than original because of less copper. They will output the full 330 watts however expect them to burn up, as the conductors connected to the leads out are carrying twice the current of OEM, however
if you install a Series regulator, the stator is never going to running at more than 60% load on a continuous basis, plus a series regulator the output voltage is clipped at 14.2 VDC, so you should never need to worry about destroying the ECU or blowing bulbs, like a few have had happen with the OEM Shunt. Unfortunately Polaris caught on to us motorcyclists using their series regulator and doubled the price in November 2016 . So now good used Polaris is what I recommend.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-05-2017 at 11:32 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Stator Various options

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...acement+stator this is a honest view of Ricks, I stand behind this review and would buy a Y connected China stator before I bought what Ricks claims to be Delta wound that they supply

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com...-Stator-21_227 You be the judge after reading the thread, wouldn't buy unless I had no other choice and needed it immediately.

RMstator out of Quebec the second best bang for the buck for new ,provided you install a series regulator, as like all but a few, it is Y connected with 60% copper
Stator For Kawasaki ER-6N Ninja 650 R Versys 650 2006-2014 | eBay

Seller SVS I have dealt with them before , if the photo is what they are selling it appears to be Delta connected and wound, I would ask them before buying if it is Delta wound and the same as the photoElectroSport ESG638 Stator For Kawasaki ZX-6R / ZX6RR / ER-6N / Versys 650 This would be your best buy if it is Delta wound for a new stator As have a close look at their posted photo, cross over connections are on the back as I recommend!! Looking at the photo, if that is what they are selling, no doubt that it is Delta Wound as there is no space between the poles, and appears the same copper density as OEM, so This would be my first Choice if you followed through with my previous advice
ElectroSport ESG638 Stator For Kawasaki ZX-6R / ZX6RR / ER-6N / Versys 650 | eBay

A link to a review of someone that purchased a ElectroSport stator for a Honda in 2006 and had failure, since I have tried to find someone on this forum who has reviewed this unsuccessfully I thought I would add this link
http://genebitsystems.com/david/Moto...torfailure.htm

Here is a used one with the same crossover connections on the lead side as yours that failed, my opinion would be if you could get it for $60 it would work, otherwise
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-ER-...FZbOuB&vxp=mtr

Last edited by onewizard; 08-05-2017 at 11:45 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks so much for all the information! I really appreciate your help. I will have a look at the options.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
See my ad that I just bumped up in the 'for sale' section.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Rick's lasted less than 3000 miles before I smelled burning plastic and voltage said goodbye
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode