Tim-From-STL - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Tim-From-STL

I've been on this forum for over a year now, but only just now found the 2-post requirement to participate in the forum.

I've logged ~14,000 miles in the past year and look forward to tackling my first valve check in the next couple weeks here. I'm sure I'll lean on posts here for support.

Happy riding to you all!

2011 (Second-Gen) Versys
Urban commuting in St. Louis City. I used to rip 70-miles/day on the Ohio interstate. These days, my Versys doesn't remember the last time it used 5th gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And here's my follow up post with a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	versys_may2017.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	125218  

2011 (Second-Gen) Versys
Urban commuting in St. Louis City. I used to rip 70-miles/day on the Ohio interstate. These days, my Versys doesn't remember the last time it used 5th gear.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Additional photo of me trying to use a shovel as leverage on my breaker bar to get the front sprocket off. This was at ~2am after a couple hours of trial and error.

I eventually succeeded with this method.

Introduction: 1-year of Versys Ownership
Last summer I purchased a pre-owned 2011 Versys. At the time, the bike was in near-mint condition. The owner bought it new in 2013 and had put only 2,700 miles on it, but not without adding nearly every farkle imaginable:

Motowerk anti-vibe bar riser
Peg lowering kit
Grip puppies
SW-Motech Engine Guard
Highway pegs
OEM side cases + rack
Rear hugger
Front fender extender
44-tooth rear sprocket
Seat Concept saddle
SW-Motech Hand Guards
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Givi tall windscreen
R&G Radiator Guard
Stainless braided brake lines

I'm convinced the previous owner logged onto these forums and simply bought every farkle suggested. I'd estimate he spent near $2k on accessories. All that is to say, previous owner upgraded to a Super Tenere and I bought the Versys for $4,500 in cash. I think that's a pretty decent deal!

One year later I've logged about 14,000 miles, mostly commuting on the interstate year-round in the plains of Western Ohio. Here's my introduction/1-year report:

Replaced the OEM tires immediately with PR4's and have already squared off and replaced a rear tire.
Changed the oil twice, choosing to use the Rotella T6 and Bosch filters, it is so much easier than my old BMW F6560CS, which had oil in the frame
I've replaced the chain and sprockets, after finding the OEM chain had some uneven stretching. I ended up a 5-foot shovel as a breaker bar to get off that damned front sprocket, every bit as much of a PITA as those on this forum advised.
I've cleaned my air filter and replaced spark plugs, and I'm due to check my valve clearances
I removed the OEM panniers and rack in favor of a 40L tail bag. I like the look of the bike much more without the extra 70L of hard cases on either side, and it makes maneuvering in tight spaces much easier.
I've swapped on Chinesium eBay shorty levers that have a sweet metallic red color, I like it much more than the stock levers
I lost the welded tip of my OEM exhaust can at some point, but what can you do, huh?

Overall I've grown to love this bike more and more each week. Since buying it I've demo'd a Concours, FJR1300, and Super Tenere and I sincerely like the ride and feel of the Versys more. It has such a raw and responsive feel in the throttle and handling, and I love the riding position. This is the first bike I've had for a full year and had no inclination to sell. All that I want now is a slightly meaner sounding exhaust, but I'm having trouble justifying $300-500 just to my sewing machine sound cool...

Thanks to everyone who contributes in the forum! I rely on all of your opinions, tutorials, and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	versys_front_sprocke_RFSU1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	125226  

2011 (Second-Gen) Versys

Last edited by onewizard; 08-01-2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Copy of Introductory post in spam filter

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

Your first Starter Thread Caught in spam Filter

FYI , that shovel got a chuckle out of me, luckily you didn't get hurt. There is a easier way using a deep 3/8 drive 1/2 inch socket.I will copy the post below.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/72356-post1.html

Last edited by onewizard; 08-01-2017 at 03:43 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for getting the original post on here! I'm still learning how to navigate this site.

Glad you got a chuckle out of my makeshift breaker bar extension. I learned the hard way that 12-point sprockets are near useless for any meaningful torque.

2011 (Second-Gen) Versys
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
6PT Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-From-STL View Post
Thanks for getting the original post on here! I'm still learning how to navigate this site.

Glad you got a chuckle out of my makeshift breaker bar extension. I learned the hard way that 12-point sprockets are near useless for any meaningful torque.
One of the cheapest and best purchases ever , almost 40 years ago was a set of inch and metric impact sockets, my set goes to 36MM and 1 1/2 inches, all 6 point, the front sprocket is hands down the worst design for the torque required to remove it, a 12 point would likely destroy that nut before loosening. I worked in a electric motor shop 40 years ago, anything from the gravel pit or mine was more or less ceased as to fasteners / through bolts. It took heat, impact drivers and sometimes days of using diesel fuel / penetrating oil, rust out /fluid film my favorite.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
One of the cheapest and best purchases ever , almost 40 years ago was a set of inch and metric impact sockets, my set goes to 36MM and 1 1/2 inches, all 6 point
I just purchased my first home + garage shortly after purchasing my Versys last year. My tool collection and wrenching abilities/knowledge are increasing each week. It's amazing how much better a 6-point socket is, I almost wonder why they even make 12-point sockets.

Quote:
the front sprocket is hands down the worst design for the torque required to remove it, a 12 point would likely destroy that nut before loosening.
I agree 100%, once I finally got good torque on my front sprocket nut with the 12-point, I noticed I'd rounded it slightly. Immediately ran to Lowe's for an impact socket and got it off shortly after. Now that I have it torqued back down to spec by my own hands, I'm confident it'll be easier to get off next time. Hopefully that won't be for another 10-20k miles.

2011 (Second-Gen) Versys
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-From-STL View Post
I've been on this forum for over a year now, but only just now found the 2-post requirement to participate in the forum.

I've logged ~14,000 miles in the past year and look forward to tackling my first valve check in the next couple weeks here. I'm sure I'll lean on posts here for support.

Happy riding to you all!
Suggest also doing throttle body sync immediately after the valve adjust as this will mess it up, also it is due for one based on mileage. Also air filter cleaning and cable lube (clutch and throttle cables) and throttle cable tension adjustment afterward. Don't use chain chain lube for this, it will not flow through cable and plugs it up, but rather a heavy oil like RustCheck or something similar. Also chain slack adjustment (3cm). If you have not done the throttle body sync before you will need a throttle body/carb sync gauge and likely (depending how you do it) a Motion Pro carb jet adjust tool (in place of Kawasaki tool).

(A really handy tool I use all the time (handy for rear wheel removal and changing front sprocket on bike as well as swapping winter/summer tires on the car) is a telescoping socket extension - allows you to put extra leverage on tough to loosen bolts.)

Last edited by twowheels; 08-01-2017 at 05:07 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Suggest also doing throttle body sync immediately after the valve adjust as this will mess it up, also it is due for one based on mileage. Also air filter cleaning and cable lube (clutch and throttle cables) and throttle cable tension adjustment afterward. Don't use chain chain lube for this, it will not flow through cable and plugs it up, but rather a heavy oil like RustCheck or something similar. Also chain slack adjustment (3cm). If you have not done the throttle body sync before you will need a throttle body/carb sync gauge and likely (depending how you do it) a Motion Pro carb jet adjust tool (in place of Kawasaki tool).

(A really handy tool I use all the time (handy for rear wheel removal and changing front sprocket on bike as well as swapping winter/summer tires on the car) is a telescoping socket extension - allows you to put extra leverage on tough to loosen bolts.)
Thanks for the recommendations! I hadn't even thought about syncing the throttle bodies--I'm hoping I'll check the valves and they won't need any adjustment.

Fortunately I've kept up the other basic maintenance you've mentioned (air filter, cables lube + tension, chain lube + tension).

2011 (Second-Gen) Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode